• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Western Washington Gathering Anyone?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I have noticed a lot of folks from Western Washington on the site lately and was curious if folks would be interested in organizing a mini gathering(s) at some of the mountains in Western Washington - Crystal, Steven's Pass and Baker all could be fun, but could even do a mini Seattle Area gathering at Alpental on a POW day. Just a thought and curious as to who would be interested.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not in Washington but would be interested subject to dates, location, duration and my available time

Baker is a day trip, Stevens can be done in a long day, Never skied Crystal and would like to but it's not a day trip.
all 3 have the same issues with available lodging as far as I know.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Stevens or Baker are best for me. We had a mini-gathering at Alpental years ago among the Epic crowd, so another place might be nice.

There are a few rooms in Glacier for Baker and for Stevens, Skykomish (west side) has a few and Leavenworth (east) has lots. I have a VERY primitive cabin (no power) near Stevens that the adventurous might like to visit and stay at if coming from afar; I have a big bunk room.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
We could approach this two ways:
  1. Day trip for those in the Area
  2. Weekend get together for those coming from afar
Crystal actually has several lodging options onsite but very limited après ski.

I will also toss out that I am at Alpental every almost every Saturday (except when I am skiing elsewhere) as my kids are in the Freeride program there, so always happy to ski with someone there. FYI mornings are typically the best conditions

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d go, I can get to any of these.

Here’s an idea: if there’s early snow this season, we could meet in December before all the crowds start.

Or have a standing monthly gathering, pick a different area each time.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
December is bad for me because I have a Christmas tree farm and the weekends are $$$ time. Since we're talking weekends, I suggest Baker since you can actually park there and the crowds, while significant, don't compare to the places closer to the Seattle area. Stevens is a holy mess on weekends.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree that Stevens is a mess on weekends, mostly during the first 6 weeks of the year when multi-week ski lessons are happening. I arrive around 8-8:15am to ensure I have decent parking during the ski school season.

FWIW I currently have Mondays free, though I will likely switch to Wednesdays during the ski season. I sometimes keep a day a week where I keep a morning free to ski, then head to my office in Everett and see clients from 3pm to 7pm. My point is, I can be flexible.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am interested. I can go anywhere any time as I'm Retired. I would prefer not to do Stevens or Alpy on a weekend. Crystal or Baker for that. For an overnighter Mission is fun.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
We should do Alpental on a Tuesday after a heavy Monday snowfall. As an FYI Alpental is closed on Monday

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Those SL will slice right that wonderful Washington powder.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Chances are I'll be pretty tied up on the hill, but I'll always vote for a nice social at Mission. Wanatchee has some nice eats as well.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking about this more we could do a weekday, and then maybe a weekend (after Presidents Day).

If it’s Tuesday, it could be our own PNW version of the Colorado crew’s Tuesdays in the Snow (T.I.T.S). Or Wednesday In The Snow (W.I.T.S.)

If it’s Friday we could call it Fridays Under Cloudy Skies.

Or Saturdays: Saturdays Under Cloudy Skies.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Alpental is not really a frontside sort of hill. Steps and deeps plus gates for side country

I’m aware of that, I figured it’s like washing your car and then it rains. Or buying new powder skis and having a low snow year.:(

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Probably no Tuesdays In The Snow for me. It's the one day I can not ski anywhere but Baker, and even then it's a PITA. Wed. through Fri. is best for me. Who knows about weekends? It could go either way.
Alpental is a great place, but it's pretty low at the base and if we decide where we'll be far ahead of time it may end up raining. The 4000' base at Stevens would give the best chance of decent snow. Mission is also a nice idea.

Sponsor

Staff online