• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wet/Clear Bases on Dry Snow

DoggParadox

Booting up
Skier
If it's not a race situation how bad are clear bases (designed for wet snow, something like Fischer C-Special, Rossignol C3/S3 or Salomon Red Base) on dry snow?

My main question is if they fit properly is it going to feel like I'm skiing on entry level skis where even if your form is dialed they just don't seem to glide? Or is it going to be more of "you'll lose every glide out test but won't notice if you're skiing alone" kind of thing?

I'm specifically looking at Salomon if it matters (I've heard their clear base is a bit more universal).

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
XC is different then alpine, and there you notice pretty much everything ;) Mostly because you need to work much more even if diference is very small. I have no idea about Salomon, or Rossi or Madshus, but for Fischer, these skis, same as zero skis, are classified as "special ski". They work great in those special conditions, but everything else, they suck big time. I mean really big time. There's no "universal" ptex that would be so bad in any condition as this "clear ptex" is bad in anything but that particular snow skis are made for. So my opinion, unless you have 5 or 6 different pairs of skis, and will use these skis only that that specific snow, go with "normal" skis.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid