• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Wet Noodle slapdown: Rossi Soul 7 vs Stockli SR 95 comparison

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I find it odd that people paid to represent a brand in a positive light can be such tools and alienate customers. Those who know me know I can be a bit crass at times, but I realize I have to bite my tongue and be nice to jack wagons for my business. It's not that difficult.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Kastle tent featuring Mavis. She is pleasant, helpful and has time to answer questions. So is Chris Davenport, a regular guy who skis better than 99% of the people on Earth.

Yeah ... this is kind of it. I know you're tired of turning screws, but it's the biggest 2 days of the season, suck it up.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On the other end of the spectrum is the Kastle tent featuring Mavis. She is pleasant, helpful and has time to answer questions. So is Chris Davenport, a regular guy who skis better than 99% of the people on Earth.
And when Davenport says"Hey, do you all want to go take a run?" You take a run. :drool::hail:
IMG_1505.jpg

TS
Couchmaster

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Holy smokes, what a difference a bit of minor snow changes goes. Was going to sell the Stockli SR 95's and move on. However, the Rossis weren't popping quite so much today as last go round, and I'd taken the Stocklis up, so I swapped them out. Wow, they totally ripped and kicked Rossi Soul 7 butt today. Last time, it seemed that they'd carve but not stop carving when I wanted, or they'd catch and edge on the transition. It was very frustrating. Not today, they were amazing. Conditions today were similar, but not so much loose snow, and the Stocklis were popping. Carved much better than the Rossis and had that real sweet rebound energy that allowed for easy and quick transitions to the next turn. For whatever reason they were working for me today.

Totally absolved themselves, performed better. Keepers.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Uh-oh. You DO realise that now you're in a very bad position, yes?

Unless you sort exactly what the snow difference was, and figure out how to predict it, you're in Second Guessing Yourself Land. Did I Bring The Right Ski County.

(and I am only half kidding - I've certainly rented there, fortunately never bought a place)

On the positive side, the crime rate's fairly low. ;)

TS
Couchmaster

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to bringing both up every time till it sorts out. I think they touched on the ride up, so maybe there was a matter/anti-mater transference as noted upthread. At least that would be one possible explanation.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to bringing both up every time till it sorts out. I think they touched on the ride up, so maybe there was a matter/anti-mater transference as noted upthread. At least that would be one possible explanation.

Are you skiing the Soul 7 with mount on the line?

TS
Couchmaster

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Are you skiing the Soul 7 with mount on the line?

Yup, right on the line James. They were a used demo ski I bought from some nice folks in France off Ebay. I didn't tune it up or anything, the edges seemed sharp enough, but I might reconsider that.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup, right on the line James. They were a used demo ski I bought from some nice folks in France off Ebay. I didn't tune it up or anything, the edges seemed sharp enough, but I might reconsider that.
what binding is on them? If it is a Look/Rossi demo binding, get it off and put a regular binding on them. Muuuch better.

TS
Couchmaster

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Rossi Axiums , but not the 3s, I think they are the 120s or some such. Bindings make that much of a difference you think Phil?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rossi Axiums , but not the 3s, I think they are the 120s or some such. Bindings make that much of a difference you think Phil?
YES. If they are Axium's and NOT the demo's..fine. If Demo's get some regular Axiums.

James

Out There
Instructor
You might try it 1.5-2cm back if it's a demo. Makes it less pivoty but depends on your skiing style whether it's better or not.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You might try it 1.5-2cm back if it's a demo. Makes it less pivoty but depends on your skiing style whether it's better or not.

I am barging in on this thread because I just bought the Savory 7's and did a little balance check on my hand, and the ski is balancing with my hand right about mid-point on the ski, where all my other skis are balancing closer to just behind the toe piece. Should I consider moving the bindings back on these? Is this a common "thing" with the Soul/Savory?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am barging in on this thread because I just bought the Savory 7's and did a little balance check on my hand, and the ski is balancing with my hand right about mid-point on the ski, where all my other skis are balancing closer to just behind the toe piece. Should I consider moving the bindings back on these? Is this a common "thing" with the Soul/Savory?

Don't forget that the balance test assumes uniform build and core width and thickness tip to tail, and that it includes ski sections that are not ordinarily in contact with snow.

So, for example, on a ski with significant taper the balance test would move you way forward from design (camber center or sidecut center).

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Don't take this the wrong way--but perhaps by your own admission maybe you aren't really proficient enough to ski the Stockli as it should be driven?

I am told and read in reviews that they are very demanding to ski.,.and that the Rossi is more "friendly".

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Don't take this the wrong way--but perhaps by your own admission maybe you aren't really proficient enough to ski the Stockli as it should be driven?.

My working theory is that his lateral balance was off starting the season, and that as he worked back into it the Stocklis got better and better for him.

The one shred of evidence I have in favour of this notion is that even his Rossis were sliding out from under him. The pattern, based on what we know of the skis, is - Rossis recover a lost edge sooner; Stocklis hold an established edge longer. Which is consistent with the OP's story.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Heck I would take the Soul 7 over the SR95(although both could have a spot in someone's quiver which sounds like the OP choose to do). The Soul 7 is one of the best all around tree skis made to date and it actually rails a nice turn if you know what your doing. I do not own it but skiing it made me search for a better Soul 7 for me.....Amarda TST.

James

Out There
Instructor
Heck I would take the Soul 7 over the SR95(although both could have a spot in someone's quiver which sounds like the OP choose to do). The Soul 7 is one of the best all around tree skis made to date and it actually rails a nice turn if you know what your doing. I do not own it but skiing it made me search for a better Soul 7 for me.....Amarda TST.

Joah you didn't like the Sr95?
What length Soul7 did you like and Tst did you Purchase?

Sponsor

Staff online