• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What’s in your pack?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
CAEB1013-0E72-486E-95A9-0563C445887F.jpeg

Off! is needed sometimes to be able to do a repair without losing my mind.
Orange thing is a dynaplug kit.
Tape measure for reverse-engineering trail features I want to build.
Lots of master links in that little box with the tubeless patch kit. Also tiptoes and Krazy glue (great for flat fixes too)
Shock pump
Hutchinson Fast'Air
I think I've had that same multi-tool for 30 years, might be time to upgrade to one with a T25.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a little tool kit with the basics for repairing a tire, fixing a chain and other such basics.
I haven't had to carry Deep Woods Off since moving to Reno.
It was a necessary thing in Michigan.
When I get home I'll post pics fo my took kit if I remember.

I never ride without nutrition like those Kates you have in your photo.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Ok, how about those of us who carry bear spray. Where ya putting the canister?. I used to only carry it on deep rides into tge bush but after my wife ran into a grizzly in our neighborhood I carry it(akwardly) on every ride…

@Erik Timmerman whats with the tape measure? I carry one everyday for work, but generally leave it at home when I ride…

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tube, small 1st aid kit, knife, hex tool, Stan's darts, chain breaker, protein, Topeak tire iron/master link tool, sun screen, super light beanie, water bladder. If it looks like possible rain I throw in a light rain jacket. If it could cool off a super light puffy. Headlight if going in the late afternoon. I should probably throw in some duct tape.
20220922_183720.jpg
20220922_183734.jpg
20220922_183747.jpg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Add a small Leatherman too. I didn’t have one last week when I flatted, and found out my sealant had dried up, so the tire plugs were useless.
So, I went to put a tube in, but couldn’t get the valve stem nut loose with my fingers. Luckily I was near a friends house, and he doesn’t lock his garage.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also carry a set of brake pads, and a derailleur hanger.
spare cleat and bolts if using clipless.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I also carry a set of brake pads, and a derailleur hanger.
spare cleat and bolts if using clipless.
Hanger is a good idea. I can't wait until they're standardized!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
No wonder you guys need ebikes with so much gear :D I hate riding with backpack, and on the other hand I have been riding mtb for pretty much exactly 30 years now (plus some more on road before) so I know what I managed to break or destroy on trails until now, and what of that I could fix on trail. So my "backpack" consists of spare extra light tube under seat, now with these Vittoria tires that I can't take off or put on with hands only, also 2 plastic tire levers. Next to that, there's co2 bomb on seat tube and tire plug tool with rubber worm in handlebar end. In 99.9% cases this makes it possible for me to get home without anyone's help, which is enough for me, and it's so minimal that I don't need to even think about backpack :)

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Primoz : I have used everything I carry. I do not need any packs (hip or back) for this. It’s all pretty small, and my Specialized Stumpjumper Evo has plenty of room for the mini pump and small parts, along with 750ml water inside the downtube storage. Regular bottle cage on the outside, means about 1.5l water without any pack.
I have a spare tube under the saddle and tire plugger tool in my crank(for easy acces, speed being of the essence).

@Andy Mink derailleur hangers are finally standardized now. All new bikes should come with Sram‘s Universal Derailleur Hanger. (If not, take a stand and buy a different model!)
So that’s what I carry in the new bikes, and on our older bikes I carry the dedicated model.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Mine is Similar to most packs here except:
Silky Cowboy Folding Saw (especially this time of year in New England).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, how about those of us who carry bear spray. Where ya putting the canister?. I used to only carry it on deep rides into tge bush but after my wife ran into a grizzly in our neighborhood I carry it(akwardly) on every ride…

Left side jersey pocket for me. I was pretty casual about this until I had a little cougar face-off in Haskill Basin a month or so ago. Turns out bear spray is possibly even more effective on cats.

@chris_the_wrench strap the holster to your toptube?

I've seen people do this. Perhaps with this unit, or similar:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I was pretty casual about this until I had a little cougar face-off in Haskill Basin a month or so ago. Turns out bear spray is possibly even more effective on cats.

Dang, Ive never had a mountain lion stand it's ground before, Ive seen their tails and rumps run off into the brush.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
34C7BA2A-535A-4312-A476-D4ACC441B2C6.jpeg
Tubilito, Tire irons, multitool, bacon strips, quick links, couple of bandages, valve stem core, core remover, CO2, Quick patches, brake spacer, a couple of commonly used Allen wrenches, handiwipes, lens cleaner, Air Med Card, emergency $20, maybe a snack if there is room or a small plastic rain poncho if it looks like rain. All this fits in my small frame bag.
I always carry water whether it is in a bottle or small camelback. On longer rides I will wear a larger pack for extra tools, clothes and food etc.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 178857 Tubilito, Tire irons, multitool, bacon strips, quick links, couple of bandages, valve stem core, core remover, CO2, Quick patches, brake spacer, a couple of commonly used Allen wrenches, handiwipes, lens cleaner, Air Med Card, emergency $20, maybe a snack if there is room or a small plastic rain poncho if it looks like rain. All this fits in my small frame bag.
I always carry water whether it is in a bottle or small camelback. On longer rides I will wear a larger pack for extra tools, clothes and food etc.
Tell me you're a leader without telling me you're a leader.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m in the minimalist camp. Back when I did big days solo it was spare tube under the saddle, CO 2 with head, a multitool and a patch kit (unopened glue required) in a jersey pocket, and a pump on the frame. Food (and fluids sometimes stashed ahead of time) to match duration. I was also singlespeed, so not much to break.

Nowadays I’m just not that far from the car, so it doesn’t matter.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I probably pack heavier than necessary but after pushing my bike several miles after a flat and not having anything with me (first ride or so on the new bike, excitement>brains) I found that kinda sucked. I'm in the "better to have it and not need than need it and not have it" camp.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of my rides are not far away, but still, a 45 minute walk pushing my bike is no fun, and then you still have to fix your bike when you get back home. So as long as it is not to big and heavy, and fits easily, I bring it.

I did not list clothes, as most of the time here in the Midwest it stays pretty consistent temps wise. Sometimes a light rain or windshell if there as chance of showers.

As we head into fall, I’ll start to bring layers.

Fatbiking is a different story.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid