• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What’s in your pack?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fatbiking is a different story.
Fat biking is a different story. If I remember in a month when that bike comes out, I'll do a pack post then too.

Currently the MTB carry picture.. Osprey Seral 7 w/ 1.5L bladder.
I like having options for food so a bunch of it just lives in the bag. Also I found a bunch of trash in there, so I prolly should clean it out more often.
4 quick links. Two are Shimano 12s for my bike, one is 11s for a friends who likes to break chains, and one 12s Eagle for my wifes bike.
6mm hex in as well because sometimes I need more leverage to get an axel out.
2 Rolls of gauze, bunch of bandaids, quickclot
Spyderco Dragonfly 2 in CPM S30V
Bear Spray
Fabric pump
Frame Storage Bontrager BITS Bag: CO2, Inflator head, tire lever, 29" tube, wolftooth pack pliers, couple zip ties.
20220923_215244.jpg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two are Shimano 12s for my bike......... and one 12s Eagle for my wifes bike.

Same, in reverse. Drives me nuts that I need two different 12-speed quick links.

I took some pics of my pack setup and will post while on mtb vacation, beginning in three, two, one.... :ogbiggrin:

Spoiler: Minimalist-ish for sure.

No spare tube for you?!

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I rarely carry a backpack. If I do a long epic above timberline, where no water is available, I do carry a pack with a liter Nalgene and a rain shell. Often times I just refill from streams, if they are available. Sometimes I carry a SteriPen.

Starting now, a backpack becomes more of a thing if I have a long climb, and descent, with appropriate warmer clothing for the descent.

Each of my bikes has an identical seat bag - tire irons, spare tube, SWAT tool. That gives me everything that I need to get home.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
You don't really need two different quick links. I can't say for Sram chain and Shimano quick link, but Sram Eagle 12s (that rainbow one) works just fine on Shimano 12s XT chain, so I would assume vice versa would also go.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really prefer to have the proper link for each chain, it's a touch of my type of ocd. Yes I do have a spare tube tucked into the BITS bag! Just forgot to mention it. There is a touch of duplicity in my pack because sometimes I just grab a bottle and no pack, so the frame storage and oneup EDC is all I'll have. Generally not more than a 20 minute hike-a-bike from my car on those rides.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Where is your pack? I forgot to put it back in my car, so I got my 2nd flat since 2004. Pinched it right at the bead and a plug wouldn’t work (I did have that). I had to borrow a tube to finish the ride. I usually ride alone so that would have been a walk back to the car.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Basic bike tool, patch kit, tyre levers,
Plus the stuff I normally have in the mountains, warm clothes, hat, shell, emergency bivy (the super thin kind), first aid kit, sam splints, PLB unless I’m sure I’ll be on mobile network, etc.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm currently favoring this Speedsleev Ranger that I bought on a whim over a year ago, and finally figured out how to use:

IMG_1208.JPG

It organizes a tube, 2 CO2 cartridges, inflator head, a Stans Dart plugging tool, tire lever, chain breaker, and spare link nicely, and each in its own sleeve for ZERO RATTLING. On easily, and off instantly. Small multi-tool goes in my pocket for easy access.

IMG_1204.JPG

Previously, my go-to pack was this somewhat uncommon Sticky Pod, which fits the above stuff, then slides into a little pocket that my wife sews onto my bib shorts in the small of the back area. Also a great approach. I don't have a pic of it loaded up.

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I had a near catastrophe co2 emergency last week when I was about 10 miles from the nearest road, and then yesterday ran into some very ‘excited’ bears. So I took sometime today to clean out my camelbak and take stock. I frequently grab this pack for hikes too, so its multi use. I prefer to ride with just a small saddle bag, but some of our long rides/hikes get ya aways out into the bush and I like to be prepared. That SteriPen gets a work out in the summer.

F02DABD6-5EEC-4426-ACA9-055E10D65B5B.jpeg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fat biking is a different story. If I remember in a month when that bike comes out, I'll do a pack post then too.
The bike is out and has been ridden.. I'm changing up a slight bit of my packing this season and should have it figured out on Monday. Waiting on a different mount to arrive. I'm also going to make a v3 of the frame bag, but that's a couple weeks off before I have time to put it together.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I’ve just added a second Co2 cartridge, a bottle of sealant along with more bandages & handiwipes after a crash a few weeks ago.
bikecrash

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve just added a second Co2 cartridge, a bottle of sealant along with more bandages & handiwipes after a crash a few weeks ago.
bikecrash
I wonder if sealant will stop blood from leaking?! :roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Currently the MTB carry picture.. Osprey Seral 7 w/ 1.5L bladder.
I like having options for food so a bunch of it just lives in the bag. Also I found a bunch of trash in there, so I prolly should clean it out more often.
4 quick links. Two are Shimano 12s for my bike, one is 11s for a friends who likes to break chains, and one 12s Eagle for my wifes bike.
6mm hex in as well because sometimes I need more leverage to get an axel out.
2 Rolls of gauze, bunch of bandaids, quickclot
Spyderco Dragonfly 2 in CPM S30V
Bear Spray
Fabric pump
Frame Storage Bontrager BITS Bag: CO2, Inflator head, tire lever, 29" tube, wolftooth pack pliers, couple zip ties.
View attachment 178914

SIS - check
SIS/Fuel - check

I gotta get me some fruit leathers.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I dunno, let me know when you try it out. Will you be ingesting it orally, inlecting or applying topically?
:huh:
Injection!