• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What’s wrong with my boots? Pain and focal redness at inner mid foot just above arch.

Fun4stuff

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I went downhill skiing last weekend for 2 days (12+ hrs) and had some pain at the inside of my my mid foot. When i got home i noticed i had these red marks where i had the pain. I’m wearing boots i got used. I’m in Michigan... so not the biggest ski skate in the world. I’m relatively new to skiing and this was my first time out this year.

My feet:

My also had intense pain at my right anterior shin. I think this was shin bang from having my long underwear tucked into my boots. The shin bang pain happened after walking/running a long distance in my ski boots (was helping my kiddos out) and didn’t hurt nearly as bad when skiing.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot these issues? Were my boots too tight?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Your picture shows navicular pressure and chafing. Leaving the shin issues aside for the moment, navicular pressure and chafing is not something you can fix on your own - talk to your bootfitter.

After they make sure your foot is adequately controlled in the boot (and not, say, collapsing against that point when you edge the ski) they can look into providing pressure relief.

Don't ignore this - consistent irritation against that point can lead to enlargement of the problem area.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you have a (proper) footbed in the boot? A footbed that supports your foot and keeps it in a neutral position will fix 90% of yoru problem, the rest can be addressed with some liner and shell modifications. Where did you get the boots? they should be able to help you with it. If you bought them on line visit a shop, are you in the LP or UP?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Look on the bright side - at least you maintained symmetry to go along with your agony. But listen to Phil - he feels your pain and is giving you good advice.

TS
F

Fun4stuff

Skier
Do you have a (proper) footbed in the boot? A footbed that supports your foot and keeps it in a neutral position will fix 90% of yoru problem, the rest can be addressed with some liner and shell modifications. Where did you get the boots? they should be able to help you with it. If you bought them on line visit a shop, are you in the LP or UP?
I got them lightly used at a small ski shop in grand haven. I’m in the lower peninsula. They weren’t super helpful when I got them. I grew up skiing a lot but had a 15 year break and am just getting back into it, so i figured I’d buy something used at first and if i was still into it after a year or two, would upgrade. Maybe I’ll check back where I got them to see if they can help me... will have to look into footbed, liner, shell modifications. Thanks for telling me what to ask for.

TS
F

Fun4stuff

Skier
Your picture shows navicular pressure and chafing. Leaving the shin issues aside for the moment, navicular pressure and chafing is not something you can fix on your own - talk to your bootfitter.

After they make sure your foot is adequately controlled in the boot (and not, say, collapsing against that point when you edge the ski) they can look into providing pressure relief.

Don't ignore this - consistent irritation against that point can lead to enlargement of the problem area.
Yea, i won’t be tucking anything in anymore. Funny how it never bothered me when i was a kid 15-20 years ago!

“navicular pressure”. Thanks for the term. I’ll try and get in contact with a fitter.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got them lightly used at a small ski shop in grand haven. I’m in the lower peninsula. They weren’t super helpful when I got them. I grew up skiing a lot but had a 15 year break and am just getting back into it, so i figured I’d buy something used at first and if i was still into it after a year or two, would upgrade. Maybe I’ll check back where I got them to see if they can help me... will have to look into footbed, liner, shell modifications. Thanks for telling me what to ask for.
Start with a good footbed. The issues you are having are easily remedied.

Sponsor

Staff online