What are the new certification standards in PSIA?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Amazing they send out stuff like this without letting you know what they are…

Rod9301

Out on the slopes
Skier
What they should do is get away with levels 1 and 2.

They mostly get beginners and they deserve a good instructor too.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Not a particularly well edited effort, but the changes that are coming have been part of trainer and div staff talk for awhile out this way.

Bad Bob

old n' slow
Skier
That song is very familiar. PSIA has been singing it in one version or another since the 60's.
(I even sang a few verses from the chorus)

Good luck.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is why I'm Europe there's only one level, you either pass it or you don't instruct
Not really how it works. Each country in Europe has their own system and most of them have more than one level.

Imo the psia system is well designed for how the ski industry works in the US. Requiring all instructors to be great skiers, and still get paid minimum wage, would result in no instructors.

Seldomski

Paralysis by analysis
Skier

New (2020) ones are here? Cover says it was revised June 2020. Page linking says they will be used for 2021-2 season.

Also found these (2014). Are these the 'old' standards for cert?

Agree it would be nice to have some 'change history' page or notes about what is different between the two.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
No, you need the Eurotest, which is pretty tough
You need the Euro test for L4. You don't need L4 to work teaching at a ski school.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
For L4, yes. I have an old friend whose family runs an area and ski school in Germany. All of his instructors are not L4's. A d yes, you do need a euro test to attain L4. We're sort of going around in circles here.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
In France at least you do need the eurotest and i think it's the same everywhere
In France instructors can work as a 'stagiere' for 4 seasons whilst they complete their certifications (including the eurotest, that's now called CTT). Italy is also quite strict, but in most (all I think) countries you can work indefinitely with a level one from their system.

The CTT is only part of the top certification in a few places, others like Switzerland use the easier ISiA speed test.