• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What are the new certification standards in PSIA?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Amazing they send out stuff like this without letting you know what they are…

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What they should do is get away with levels 1 and 2.

They mostly get beginners and they deserve a good instructor too.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

Not a particularly well edited effort, but the changes that are coming have been part of trainer and div staff talk for awhile out this way.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That song is very familiar. PSIA has been singing it in one version or another since the 60's.
(I even sang a few verses from the chorus)

Good luck.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is why I'm Europe there's only one level, you either pass it or you don't instruct

Not really how it works. Each country in Europe has their own system and most of them have more than one level.

Imo the psia system is well designed for how the ski industry works in the US. Requiring all instructors to be great skiers, and still get paid minimum wage, would result in no instructors.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

New (2020) ones are here? Cover says it was revised June 2020. Page linking says they will be used for 2021-2 season.

Also found these (2014). Are these the 'old' standards for cert?

Agree it would be nice to have some 'change history' page or notes about what is different between the two.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
This is why I'm Europe there's only one level, you either pass it or you don't instruct

You don't need your L4 to teach in Europe.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
No, you need the Eurotest, which is pretty tough

You need the Euro test for L4. You don't need L4 to work teaching at a ski school.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In France at least you do need the eurotest and i think it's the same everywhere

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
For L4, yes. I have an old friend whose family runs an area and ski school in Germany. All of his instructors are not L4's. A d yes, you do need a euro test to attain L4. We're sort of going around in circles here.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
In France at least you do need the eurotest and i think it's the same everywhere
In France instructors can work as a 'stagiere' for 4 seasons whilst they complete their certifications (including the eurotest, that's now called CTT). Italy is also quite strict, but in most (all I think) countries you can work indefinitely with a level one from their system.

The CTT is only part of the top certification in a few places, others like Switzerland use the easier ISiA speed test.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

Ski schools are probably 70 - 80% staffed by kids Living The Dream. They have limited interest in really progressing / becoming students of the sport. If they show up to work, reasonably on time, have OK personal hygiene, and treat guests OK, they are hired.

Expecting everyone to be an L3, and you have crushed most of your labor market. Do guests always receive an outstanding user experience with the burn-outs? No. However with ski areas controlling a monopoly on the sport - especially instruction - it is what it is.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski schools are probably 70 - 80% staffed by kids Living The Dream. They have limited interest in really progressing / becoming students of the sport. If they show up to work, reasonably on time, have OK personal hygiene, and treat guests OK, they are hired.

Expecting everyone to be an L3, and you have crushed most of your labor market. Do guests always receive an outstanding user experience with the burn-outs? No. However with ski areas controlling a monopoly on the sport - especially instruction - it is what it is.
One other thing should that happen, how many of these cookie cutter L3’s would actually be able to teach, further harming the true instructor reputations giving justification for even lower wages.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
One other thing should that happen, how many of these cookie cutter L3’s would actually be able to teach, further harming the true instructor reputations giving justification for even lower wages.

Totally agree. I've been around a number of L3's who are just horrible at instructing / coaching. They just take the min. number of credits to maintain their cert. Never seek out new information that will make them better at their craft.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not really how it works. Each country in Europe has their own system and most of them have more than one level.

Imo the psia system is well designed for how the ski industry works in the US. Requiring all instructors to be great skiers, and still get paid minimum wage, would result in no instructors.
No, they have to pass the eurotest and it's pretty tough

So yeah, in the us they should pay more than minimum wage and then they would get more qualified instructors.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I must be spoiled. The majority of L3's I know are very solid instructors. Sure, there are some legacy folks what aren't really current and I can't really say, "go skiing with that guy/gal!", but they don't color my overall perception of the world.

Sponsor

Staff online