• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What brand race helmet for child with round head

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
My 8 year old son may be joining a race program this season, and they require a helmet with hard ears.

I have noticed that different brands tend to wither fit round or oval heads better. He has a pretty big head for his age, 55.25 cm, so adult helmets may be a consideration. Most stores around us don’t stock a lot of hard ear helmets, so we may have to buy without trying on and just go with manufacturers size guidelines.

I know Poc has hard ear helmets, do they tend to be a round fit, or more towards oval? He is past the Pocito size range, so no adjustment.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
You better check with a shop in the ski resort hosting the racing program.
They usually carry all the racing equipments.
Briko and POC fits well for my kid with rounded head but the POC runs little large so I had to one size down.
On the other hand, Sweet protection fits quite oval which I needed one size up then put some fitting pads front and back.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You may want to try asian fit helmets. They are made to a rounder model. I don't know if there are any race helmets though.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
You better check with a shop in the ski resort hosting the racing program.
They usually carry all the racing equipments.
Briko and POC fits well for my kid with rounded head but the POC runs little large so I had to one size down.
On the other hand, Sweet protection fits quite oval which I needed one size up then put some fitting pads front and back.

Based on trying on Sweet helmets a few years ago, my long-oval head disagrees. Even in the XL (and I'm usually in either a large or XL helmet, depending on sport, brand and model), I had pressure fore/aft and air on either side of my head. I was disappointed because I like their stated engineering approach and particularly the availability of soft-ear helmets that match FIS specs other than the lack of hard-ear protection.

I don't have any other recent hard-ear helmet advice to offer, other than finding an Atomic to be on the small side. Briko fit me fairly well when I was racing many years ago, but I don't know what may have changed since then. I do wish there were more reviews of race helmets with sizing info comparable to what WebBikeWorld does for motorcycle helmets and break them down by head shape, but I'm guessing the niche for that info is pretty damn small and most people now wear adjustable helmets for skiing.