• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK, this is an old video, from last summer.

But...what can an intermediate skier take away from it? For myself, I see how he loads the ski progressively throughout the turn. Anything else? Maybe pulling the inside (uphill) leg back? And...do I spy a hip dump or 3?

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Ted is just having fun.
If intermediates leaned in that much likely they'd just put all their weight on the inside ski.
Flex the inside leg! Then there's not much need to "pull it back". Yes, it's possible to flex and open the knee joint. Don't.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
hip dumping isnt the amount of movement, its the timing of that movement, hip dumping is when you move your COM inside too fast and stop balancing on your outside ski as a result.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I love this video. Learn to have FUN! The rest will come, or not.

TS
B

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
My inside leg is a problem. I'm always over conscious of where it is and what I should be doing with it.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My inside leg is a problem because I didn't start taking a lot of intermediate lessons until I had developed some bad habits. Can you say A-frame...

I thought the signature Ligety move was an early aggressive inside flex and tip to get the new turn started early? I've played around with this with highly variable results, but don't really use it.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, having good models in your head is a great start, @Bolder. You're doing well there. :)

My inside leg is a problem. I'm always over conscious of where it is and what I should be doing with it.

Are you skiing on firm snow? If so, my experience is that it almost (not quite) takes care of itself if you're patient enough to be truly and fully committed to the outside ski. I.e., when I have inside leg issues on hard snow it's usually because I'm inside too early - not enough pressure on the forebody of the outside ski to keep it coming around under me, leading to even more weight on the inside. Others have alluded to the same thing.

I'll let actual pros comment on the "not quite" part.

If you're skiing on soft snow, bless you. Just go ski.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
One thing an intermediate (or any skier, really) could focus on is that he rolls his skis over completely before he starts downhill. His ski bottoms ride an imaginary "banking" around, down, and then back up the hill into the next "banking." Once the skis are rolled over early, the rest of the turn takes care of itself. This also moves the point of maximum pressure to a point earlier in the turn (basically as soon as you start downhill) preventing ineffective pressure late in the turn (as the tips turn toward the fall line) Very effective in eliminating chatter on firm snow!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
One thing an intermediate (or any skier, really) could focus on is that he rolls his skis over completely before he starts downhill. His ski bottoms ride an imaginary "banking" around, down, and then back up the hill into the next "banking." Once the skis are rolled over early, the rest of the turn takes care of itself. This also moves the point of maximum pressure to a point earlier in the turn (basically as soon as you start downhill) preventing ineffective pressure late in the turn (as the tips turn toward the fall line) Very effective in eliminating chatter on firm snow!
Maximum pressure is slightly after the skis reach the apex of the turn — that is in the fall line, not before. Otherwise I agree with you.

Mike

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
You better have some quad and core strength to ride the tails like that at the end of a turn and pull your COM back up in time to move across the skis for the next turn.
I love the outside hand extended out above the head as a counter balance.

TS
B

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's definitely inspiring. I'm actually OK strength wise, for a 51 yo, as I'm a pretty committed cyclist and climber tho not on that level

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
cycling unless its MTBIng really doesnt help you ski better

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
If I was an intermediate I think that video would just confuse me.
I would learn more from the 2nd turn in this one...

agent00F

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
OK, this is an old video, from last summer.

But...what can an intermediate skier take away from it? For myself, I see how he loads the ski progressively throughout the turn. Anything else? Maybe pulling the inside (uphill) leg back? And...do I spy a hip dump or 3?

Looking at before I changed my approach to skiing (see adjacent thread), if I could tell myself back then what to pick up from pro vids to apply, I think it's very difficult for good reason. That's because these advanced skiers are making these moves in the pursuit of a form that's different in kind, where they're managing their momentum out of corners, apportioning it to either push on the legs/skis or throw the upper body downhill to later create more pressure to shape/accelerate the next turn. Maybe it's possible to take moves piecemeal and translate it to intermediate skiing where the goal seems more to make turns safely down (eg. control speed, where "speed" is defined as not too fast), but it's bit like taking race car driving technique to everyday commuters. Surely some elements apply, but if the goal is to be like Ted, I would tell myself in the past to change approaches rather than tweak a few moves.

TS
B

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
cycling unless its MTBIng really doesnt help you ski better

Not better, but longer, at least! My legs and core are pretty strong, try to supplement with floor exercises like burpees, bridges etc...

Thanks for posting that second video...no way will I ever ski like Ted, those days are long past...but I definitely see one thing that I could draw from is the hand position at around 6 seconds. In fact, his overall positioning at that point is probably something that translates to intermediate skiing.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thanks for posting that second video...no way will I ever ski like Ted, those days are long past...but I definitely see one thing that I could draw from is the hand position at around 6 seconds. In fact, his overall positioning at that point is probably something that translates to intermediate skiing.
Yes, also the relationship between upper & lower body but there are better examples than Ted.

Sponsor

Staff online