• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What can you tell me about the Fischer Transalp 86 Carbon?

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking for a touring setup and found the Fischer Transalp 86 Carbon on Telemark Pyrenees. I think they sound good to me... rockered, mostly hard snow, medium flex. I scanned for info on these skis on this forum but only found that they were generally positively reviewed. I've never skied Fischer skis before though, so not sure what to expect from them?

I am a solid intermediate, mostly learned skiing so I could do some touring, live in Vermont, pretty chonky for my height of 5'2" (materially north of 150 pounds) and spend most of my time on skis at Mad River Glen. I would mostly use them for resort skinning and eventually get into some of the easier backcountry zones around here once I felt more comfortable in east coast trees and other technical terrain.

Are these good for my use case and circumstances? Any other skis I should consider?

James

Out There
Instructor
Check these people out in NH. They do a lot with Fischer. Give them a call. Little late now to demo, but they rent setups.

metamorphosis108

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Looking for a touring setup and found the Fischer Transalp 86 Carbon on Telemark Pyrenees. I think they sound good to me... rockered, mostly hard snow, medium flex. I scanned for info on these skis on this forum but only found that they were generally positively reviewed. I've never skied Fischer skis before though, so not sure what to expect from them?

I am a solid intermediate, mostly learned skiing so I could do some touring, live in Vermont, pretty chonky for my height of 5'2" (materially north of 150 pounds) and spend most of my time on skis at Mad River Glen. I would mostly use them for resort skinning and eventually get into some of the easier backcountry zones around here once I felt more comfortable in east coast trees and other technical terrain.

Are these good for my use case and circumstances? Any other skis I should consider?
@ ilovepugs

Did you end up getting the Transalp 86 Carbon?

I also plan to take them out for fitness skinning laps at a local resort and eventually on AT across MA-NH-VT.

TS
ilovepugs

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ ilovepugs

Did you end up getting the Transalp 86 Carbon?

I also plan to take them out for fitness skinning laps at a local resort and eventually on AT across MA-NH-VT.
No I didn’t unfortunately. I ended up on the Volkl Blaze 94 but now re-thinking my selection and wanting a narrower ski. Should have gone with my initial instinct!

metamorphosis108

Skier
I am confronting a somewhat similar dilemma: Volkl Blaze 86 or Transalp 86? It is hard to find online reviews of the latter.

How did your Blaze 94 perform in the resort?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am confronting a somewhat similar dilemma: Volkl Blaze 86 or Transalp 86? It is hard to find online reviews of the latter.

How did your Blaze 94 perform in the resort?
Those are fairly different in weight alone. Volkl ‘s Rise Above 88 would be more similar.

metamorphosis108

Skier
Good to know! Have you skied Rise Above 88? Would you know if the H Mounting Pattern on the Rise Above 88 take ATK Crest 10 Binding?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No sorry, I haven’t skied either of those. (I have Backland 85UL in that type of ski).

I don’t know about the mounting, have you checked skimo.co? They have a Q&A below each item, might have that question in there already, if not , you could ask them.

The other thing that might work, is using the positioning plates for the Crest toe pieces. That’s what I am doing, (mainly to reduce ramp angle) on my Crests.
That might allow you to drill in the proper spot.

Note that the Transalps are changing for coming season, so they might be discounted for the current ones.

Sponsor

Staff online