• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What Cars Still Offer Manual Transmissions?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We are kicking around selling the Jeep GC because we own a 1 ton Ford Diesel that needs some work but does a much better job at towing our 3300 lb. camping trailer, plus it's paid for. The GC gets what I would consider crappy mileage in part because our commute is up a canyon in one direction (we're talking 20 MPG if we're lucky.) Otherwise, it's a nice driving vehicle. It tows the trailer fine with a load-leveling hitch, but gets hideous mileage while towing (11 MPG.) The 1-ton gets about 16 towing.

We sold a 2014 Mazda 6 with a 6-speed manual and are thinking of going that way again. This would be in addition to our 2017 Mazda CX-5 which gets about 30 MPG. The truck would be repaired and used for towing only (it has upwards of 360K miles on it, but it has been an amazing workhorse. We have access to a fantastic Ford Diesel mechanic.) The Mazda 6 got about 34 MPG in mixed driving and was a lot of fun to drive.

It seems that Mazda is pivoting away from manual transmissions along with most other car makers. :rolleyes: What are some other options out there (prefer to buy used) that are manual that get good mileage and have some spunk? There are plenty of 6-speed manual Mazdas nationwide, but I'd love to entertain other options, too, just to make sure we're not missing anything.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
VW offers sticks pretty much across the Golf/Jetta platform. Alltrack wagon as an example. GTI is always fun.

Honda does in Civics and Accords.

and of course...

Miata Is Always The Answer.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Car and Driver posts a list every year these days.

They shouldn't call this list "every new car you can still buy with a manual transmission". Instead, they should call it "every new car you can still buy that has a transmission that actually works".

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
A Porsche GT3 with the 6MT transmission is always an option - the best option.

Seriously, though, as a manual transmission addict (and as one who believes they give the driver more control over the vehicle in sketchy conditions), I really don't understand why more manufacturers don't offer a manual option. They could easily tack on an upcharge (which I would gladly pay) for an option that costs less to manufacture and make a bigger profit per vehicle sold.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

Seriously, though, as a manual transmission addict (and as one who believes they give the driver more control over the vehicle in sketchy conditions), I really don't understand why more manufacturers don't offer a manual option. They could easily tack on an upcharge (which I would gladly pay) for an option that costs less to manufacture and make a bigger profit per vehicle sold.
Sometimes it's packaging...the new C8 Corvette they didn't have the real estate to put in a full manual. Sometimes it's available transmissions. Sometimes it's performance (DSG is unquestionably faster). Maybe just fewer competent drivers. It's sad, I'm in the camp as you.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Sometimes it's packaging...the new C8 Corvette they didn't have the real estate to put in a full manual. Sometimes it's available transmissions. Sometimes it's performance (DSG is unquestionably faster). Maybe just fewer competent drivers. It's sad, I'm in the camp as you.

Based on my experience, once you put a manual in a 400+ hp vehicle with big, sticky tires the transmission is the weak point. Engineering that structure to be robust enough probably takes up a lot of room, and ands weight. Once Nissan, Ferrari and Bugati went 7 speed dual clutch everyone else followed. Totally happy with paddle shifters here.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
Mine does.

It is not just the low take rate that is killing the stick. It is the cost of Federalizing the car. Crash testing, CAFE requirements, emission testing, all of these things factor in.

Automatic transmissions have become more efficient and easier for manufacturers to program to optimize not just acceleration, but fuel economy and emissions as well. But clicking paddles isn't nearly as fun as a well executed toe/heel rev matched downshift. Nor does it make that sound.

The Porsche GT3, an excellent choice, wont be sold in California with a stick because it doesn't pass emissions standards.

pliny the elder

578FD7E3-C93D-4D8E-8F37-92BD3F6F16D5.jpeg

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Seriously, as a manual transmission addict (and as one who believes they give the driver more control over the vehicle in sketchy conditions), I really don't understand why more manufacturers don't offer a manual option. They could easily tack on an upcharge (which I would gladly pay) for an option that costs less to manufacture and make a bigger profit per vehicle sold.
The GT3 with manual is not available in California- did not pass the “noise” test.
I’m a fan of manuals but I’m also a fan of sleep- during and since Covid, the relatively quiet nights here have been punctuated by people in super cars racing on the streets often at triple digit speeds. When I say super cars I mean McClarens, Lambo’s Ferrari’s and the usual BMW’s and Chargers. It’s totally out of control here but LAPD doesn’t seem to be able to crack down on it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BREAKING NEWS: Porsche got the GT3 Passed in CA.
Call your brokers now to place your orders.

It is not just the low take rate that is killing the stick. It is the cost of Federalizing the car. Crash testing, CAFE requirements, emission testing, all of these things factor in.
This is very true. Plus the automatics are so much smarted (and faster, sorry) and most important get better fuel economy .

I still would rather drive a good automatic than a bad stick and yes there are bad sticks.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread has not disappointed! Love it.

VW is probably out because there isn’t a dealer nearby. The Jetta seems pedestrian anymore, but who knows. You can sure score one for cheap.

Porsche-haha!

Don’t forget we are wanting excellent gas mileage. Bang for the buck/fun to drive while affordable still leads me back to a Mazda. A Miata would be a hoot. Probably not too great for commuting in the snow, though.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
All-wheel drive would be ok, so long as the torque is biased to the rear so it handles more like a rear-wheel drive car. An all-wheel drive car with low ground clearance isn't all that appealing to me, even though I admit I would be able get to the lifts sooner on a twisty road with one.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem with buying used MT vehicles is that you really limit your universe.

Totally worth it, if you've got the time, and are willing to entertain long distance auto purchases.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
The GT3 with manual is not available in California- did not pass the “noise” test.
I’m a fan of manuals but I’m also a fan of sleep- during and since Covid, the relatively quiet nights here have been punctuated by people in super cars racing on the streets often at triple digit speeds. When I say super cars I mean McClarens, Lambo’s Ferrari’s and the usual BMW’s and Chargers.

I stand corrected. It was the noise, not the smell, that caused the manual GT3 to be outlawed in CA. I'm also sorry that street racing is such a problem where you live. Although any of those cars at WFO will make lots of noise irrespective of the transmission.

martyg is also correct, a manual transmission can become a limiting factor, particularly with very high torque and horsepower. My car is tuned to somewhere a bit north of 400hp and I wouldn't attempt a 4500 rpm clutch drop for fear of exploding the transmission.

I like to drive and I like to be involved in the act of driving. For me, active feet and hands, increases that involvement.

pliny the elder

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread has not disappointed! Love it.

VW is probably out because there isn’t a dealer nearby. The Jetta seems pedestrian anymore, but who knows. You can sure score one for cheap.

Porsche-haha!

Don’t forget we are wanting excellent gas mileage. Bang for the buck/fun to drive while affordable still leads me back to a Mazda. A Miata would be a hoot. Probably not too great for commuting in the snow, though.
You will be soon out of warrenty on most used cars anyway, I am sure Ogden has a good VW mechanic

Unicorn: VW Golf TDI wagon with a 6 speed (in brown for extra points) . Add a Faux Wheel Drive badge on the baxck and with 4 snow, you will get where ever you want to go plus get 40+MPG

James

Out There
Instructor
Used Honda Element with stick? Take rear seat out, bikes roll inside.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January