• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes What did I do!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Newer synthetic insulation is so nice.. I use a Patagonia Nano Air or a Black Diamond First Light jackets when it gets below 0, they stay warm even when pretty well soaked with sweat. It's a pleasant change from most everything else I used to have. I tend to run obnoxiously warm, so down to 0 I have just a long sleep lightweight layer and a Patagonia R1 techface hoodie jacket on the upper body. 0 to -10 I add an insulated vest or just one of the mentioned jackets. Below -10 I add the vest back ontop of the jackets.

I am very similar in layers, just a few degrees warmer. The one exception being wind-chill. If it is very windy, I will either increase windresistance or add a bit of insulation or both.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as riding temperatures go, I'm not sure what my limit will be. I expect sub zero F. Skiing, I've been -15F and was fine.
Downhill skiing? Wow, that's too cold for me! In that case, I am sure you can bike any weather. Fatbike-> DH skiing feels at least 30F warmer due to continuous effort and lower windchill.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
.....but I think the front would benefit from a 180 rotor, the back seems fine.
I put 180's F/R this summer and it was a big improvement.

The 160s on my Beargrease look silly to my eyes.

Then again, I took my "regular" mtb around the neighborhood today with the dog, and it feels -- and the tires look -- positively spindly after a month of fat biking!

TS
Joel

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Not downhill, mostly I have been going up around Cameron Pass in Colorado ( the area that just burned ) for BC touring. Some climbing, flats, gentle downhill. Mostly a workout that keeps me warm.

Downhill skiing? Wow, that's too cold for me! In that case, I am sure you can bike any weather. Fatbike-> DH skiing feels at least 30F warmer due to continuous effort and lower windchill.

Sponsor

Staff online