• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What did you do to your _______ today?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Does this count? New battery + battery tray and rubber meats. Wasn’t "today" but was the last thing I wrenched on it. They just run. Probably change the air filter over the weekend

4DCCE2DD-022F-45D1-BC70-C37704352FC0.jpeg E634DF9D-F3EE-4560-A0B8-85E3937A2515.jpeg

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My son came home from college with his car. Brake lights out, front running lights out, one low beam out and the other on the way, one rocker panel dangling, 1k miles past an oil change, and the air filter (at least) dirty as hell. Oh, and a slow leak in the right front tire. Today we fixed the lights and rocker panel. Tomorrow is a trip to jiffy lube for oil and filters.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
U10 daughter and I drained and replaced the gear oil in front, center and rear differentials on the LR4.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
On Tuesday...
Oil change (Amsoil Signature Series 0w40)
Front and rear differential oil change (Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90)...cleaned out the local dealership of the drain and fill plugs, that if someone else needed service... they were screwed
Spark Plugs: NGK Ruthenium HX

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ Funny, I forgot about this thread til it popped up.

On my Bonneville today, oil and filter change and new, better shocks (the oem ones suck). Over the next week I’ve got progressive fork springs and a much cleaner looking tail light and turn signals to put in. I got a new leather seat too. The weather’s been warm and dry enough to ride - :nono: - but I want to get the work all done in case winter sets in with conviction - my garage is unheated.

Last week I got the oil changed, the tires rotated, and new wipers and fluid in my vehicles (Tiguan and 4Runner). Now all I need is...winter storms.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New brakes on the Sienna AWD snowmobile. This thing is great for our purposes in all regards except brakes. They are famous for warping front disks.

Not very exciting, but it IS nice to step on the brakes and not immediately want to sell the thing.

The brake place said my warranty is 3 years/25k miles and that "with this model, we'll be seeing you before that".

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I had a bit of trouble getting the bike to crank today. Been sitting a week but still. Looks like a new battery could set me back $25.00 around the time it gets cold out
Well, update to this endeavor. New battery seemed to be working fine for about 2 months then all of a sudden, like over another week, starter started killing the charge again just like with the old battery. Tried a trickle charge.. Still maybe one full crank then dead. So, turned it over to the shop to figure out what's killing batteries. Professional opinion.. I bought the crappiest battery in the world and it has a dead cell already after less than 3 months. So far the battery they installed is working perfectly.. and good to have it there for a general check up of everything else.

Should have seen the review I left on Amazon for that battery.

If this new one also gets baked way before its time I'll go back. They said they'd work with me under that scenario when I was skeptical that the brand new battery was just plain crap..

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My 2020 Jeep Cherokee did not come with a trailer hitch so for Christmas my wife gave me an after market trailer hitch. When I purchase the Jeep they said a hitch had to be professionally installed or it would void the warranty. So I had the hitch installed by a mechanic I have used for my GMC. It also included the new wire harness so all I have to do is plug together a traditional connection for a trailer.
PXL_20210115_154724153.jpg

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Opened up a '71 VW motor to rebuild (and hop up a little) to go into my '69 Beetle. Outside was pretty gunked up, but the insides don't look too terrible. Next step is to remove the rods and see how much wear there is on the journals. Haven't done this in 35 years, brings back memories of the old days :)
20210115_145937_resized.jpg

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
My 2020 Jeep Cherokee did not come with a trailer hitch so for Christmas my wife gave me an after market trailer hitch. When I purchase the Jeep they said a hitch had to be professionally installed or it would void the warranty. So I had the hitch installed by a mechanic I have used for my GMC. It also included the new wire harness so all I have to do is plug together a traditional connection for a trailer.
Sounds like a BS scare tactic by the Jeep stealership, hoping you come back to the dealership to purchase the hitch and wiring and have them install it.

If they see your Jeep with an aftermarket hitch, first thing they are going to do is to try to void a warranty repair

Uncle-A

Skier
Sounds like a BS scare tactic by the Jeep stealership, hoping you come back to the dealership to purchase the hitch and wiring and have them install it.

If they see your Jeep with an aftermarket hitch, first thing they are going to do is to try to void a warranty repair
The people at the dealership said because of drilling the frame to mount the hitch only a professional mechanic should do it. He said it didn't have to be the dealership just a professional mechanic. The sad part is that the two of the major brands of after market hitchs offer the no drill mount using existing holes or bolts in the frame. The wire harness was also very nice and easy with plug in connection for all but one wire end.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The people at the dealership said because of drilling the frame to mount the hitch only a professional mechanic should do it. He said it didn't have to be the dealership just a professional mechanic. The sad part is that the two of the major brands of after market hitchs offer the no drill mount using existing holes or bolts in the frame. The wire harness was also very nice and easy with plug in connection for all but one wire end.
So they fed you a line of BS. SEMA has spent a large sum of money on lawyers to try to stop this sort of nonsense. :doh:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I still call BS on that. My old Passat, I had to drill some holes into the frame. It didn't require a professional mechanic to operate a handheld drill.

Plus, as DIY, I also took the time to apply touch up paint to the now exposed bare metal as a result of drilling into the frame. One would hope a professional mechanic would do the same with some spray paint lying around.

Uncle-A

Skier
I still call BS on that. My old Passat, I had to drill some holes into the frame. It didn't require a professional mechanic to operate a handheld drill.

Plus, as DIY, I also took the time to apply touch up paint to the now exposed bare metal as a result of drilling into the frame. One would hope a professional mechanic would do the same with some spray paint lying around.
I think they were more concerned with the DIY drilling into the existing wire harness. The pro would know locations to stay away from.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Opened up a '71 VW motor to rebuild (and hop up a little) to go into my '69 Beetle. Outside was pretty gunked up, but the insides don't look too terrible. Next step is to remove the rods and see how much wear there is on the journals. Haven't done this in 35 years, brings back memories of the old days :)
View attachment 120998
I am here for all of this! #luftgehkült

Uncle-A

Skier
LOL....This one will be a very mild upgrade....probably about 70 HP as opposed to the stock 50HP. Practice build for my "good" motor, which will be in the 100-110 HP range
100 - 110 HP WOW in a VW Bug

Sponsor

Staff online