• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What did you do to your _______ today?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Shower faucet cartridge in the bathroom on the side of the house with super old, rusty cast iron pipe plumbing. I shudder every time I have to touch anything connected to those pipes.. Replaced the entire faucet 18 years ago and every pipe I touched crumbled at the connection to the pipe upstream. I did get it soldered in and sealed up after much imrovising but it never sat exactly straight. About every 4-5 years the occasional drip turns in to a small stream and then I change the cartridge. It's the bathroom the kids use now that we have added another bed and bath for grown ups. Anyway, kid brought to my attention that the hot water was barely lukewarm to that faucet. It wasn't dripping bad yet though so I wasn't sure changing the cartridge would make a difference. Well, it did and nothing else behind it or below it in the crawl space exploded.

We plan to gut that entire bathroom sub floor up and re pipe the rest of the house when (if ?) the kids finish school and move out. Until then its patch and pray.. Today VICTORY!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Shower faucet cartridge in the bathroom on the side of the house with super old, rusty cast iron pipe plumbing. I shudder every time I have to touch anything connected to those pipes.. Replaced the entire faucet 18 years ago and every pipe I touched crumbled at the connection to the pipe upstream. I did get it soldered in and sealed up after much imrovising but it never sat exactly straight. About every 4-5 years the occasional drip turns in to a small stream and then I change the cartridge. It's the bathroom the kids use now that we have added another bed and bath for grown ups. Anyway, kid brought to my attention that the hot water was barely lukewarm to that faucet. It wasn't dripping bad yet though so I wasn't sure changing the cartridge would make a difference. Well, it did and nothing else behind it or below it in the crawl space exploded.

We plan to gut that entire bathroom sub floor up and re pipe the rest of the house when (if ?) the kids finish school and move out. Until then its patch and pray.. Today VICTORY!
It is always good when a homeowner project goes with out a glitch.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Took my wife Sandy out for pizza in between rain showers. This ones a 2007 base model. Before kids I had a 67 coupe and a 68 big block convertible. Overall the 2007 is the way to go. Bought this with 10400 miles in 2016 now hovering around 23000.
I don't think I'll being putting a ski rack on it

Slemers

Attachments

• 20190610_180139.jpg
    20190610_180139.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 20

Uncle-A

Skier
Struggling with my wife's Chevy Malibu, it will not crank or start. I tried a new battery still nothing, starting to think it might be the starter. If anyone has any thoughts please share.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Struggling with my wife's Chevy Malibu, it will not crank or start. I tried a new battery still nothing, starting to think it might be the starter. If anyone has any thoughts please share.
Pull the starter with the power connected and see if it spins when the key is turned. Try to turn the flywheel with a big screwdriver some to be sure the motor isn't seized.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
If there's nothing going on, it could be the solenoid. You can use the "screwdriver" method, depends on how accessible it is

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Make sure it is not in gear. (Been there, done that. :doh: :nono: )
Check the neutral safety switch.
Some cars have a fuse for the starter circuit. Check that.

If it clicks but won't crank then most likely the solenoid.
Jump the starter like CRG said. MAKE SURE CAR IS NOT IN GEAR. (Don't ask me how I know.)
Replace starter if nothing else works.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Give it a whack on the meat of the starter if you can slide under there ,and it might be enough to move the internals off of a dead spot possibly. It's worked for me in the past.
Slemers

Uncle-A

Skier
Give it a whack on the meat of the starter if you can slide under there ,and it might be enough to move the internals off of a dead spot possibly. It's worked for me in the past.
Slemers
I have to try and get under the car when no snow on the ground. That has worked for me on other vehicles. I might have to jack the car up to reach the starter.

Uncle-A

Skier
Make sure it is not in gear. (Been there, done that. :doh: :nono: )
Check the neutral safety switch.
Some cars have a fuse for the starter circuit. Check that.

If it clicks but won't crank then most likely the solenoid.
Jump the starter like CRG said. MAKE SURE CAR IS NOT IN GEAR. (Don't ask me how I know.)
Replace starter if nothing else works.
I have checked every fuse in the power train. Not a fuse, but thanks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Slemers
THIS! I remember getting ONE MORE out of a jammed starter eons ago via the caveman method..

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New shocks, new fork springs, new turn signals/tail light, new seat. It‘s supposed to be warm and clear tomorrow - the skiing’s marginal, guess I’ll go for a ride.
B4B50198-BE1F-4F8B-A97B-DD998598E336.jpeg

Uncle-A

Skier
I just want to follow up on this original post. I let the car sit not doing anything to it except returning the new battery and reinstalling the old one that I had sitting on a charger. The car has 103K miles and I noticed that some exhaust issues had also started. I decided to donate the car to a local charity. Funny thing happened the day they came to pick it up, it was a warm day here in NJ the guy showed up with a flatbed truck I signed all the paperwork and handed him the keys, he gets in the car turns the key and the thing just starts and runs fine. The only thing that I can think of is the warm day just unstuck the starter and it started. The guy smiles and turns the car off loads it on the flatbed truck and drives away. I was shocked but didn't say anything because I was just glad to get rid of the vehicle.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hit a stray 18-wheeler tire chain in left lane near the I-70 chainup area just west of Vail Pass last weekend in my lowered S4.
Took out belly pan and power steering rack.
$4000+ later, everything is fine.:doh:

Uncle-A

Skier
Hit a stray 18-wheeler tire chain in left lane near the I-70 chainup area just west of Vail Pass last weekend in my lowered S4.
Took out belly pan and power steering rack.
$4000+ later, everything is fine.:doh:
Ouch

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I just want to follow up on this original post. I let the car sit not doing anything to it except returning the new battery and reinstalling the old one that I had sitting on a charger. The car has 103K miles and I noticed that some exhaust issues had also started. I decided to donate the car to a local charity. Funny thing happened the day they came to pick it up, it was a warm day here in NJ the guy showed up with a flatbed truck I signed all the paperwork and handed him the keys, he gets in the car turns the key and the thing just starts and runs fine. The only thing that I can think of is the warm day just unstuck the starter and it started. The guy smiles and turns the car off loads it on the flatbed truck and drives away. I was shocked but didn't say anything because I was just glad to get rid of the vehicle.
After my wife notices something funky on the car..she says "Think it'll go away?" I say "Cars don't fix themselves..." However, to day you proved that assumption incorrect! :ogbiggrin:

Uncle-A

Skier
After my wife notices something funky on the car..she says "Think it'll go away?" I say "Cars don't fix themselves..." However, to day you proved that assumption incorrect! :ogbiggrin:
Nobody was more shocked than I when the car started. Because you are correct, cars do not fix themselves. Cold weather does have an effect on our vehicles and I will just leave it at that, it is the only thing I can think of now.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had the Cayman in for some maintenance items. Replaced the front wheel bearings (rears failed last year and already replaced). Proactively replaced water pump (known part to fail eventually in this car with potential catastrophic results). Changed out some coolant hoses simply because they are 10 years old. Changed the transmission fluid (oil replaced before winter). Replaced the wheel studs on recommendation of the shop. New tires waiting to be mounting on track wheels - going to a stickier street tire looking for more grip. Buying a GarminCatalyst to use on the track.