• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

what difference between Kastle MX74 and new MX75 PLEASE

surfski

Booting up
Skier
I am considering buying my first pair of MX skis the MX74 but would like to first find out what I might give up compared to the newer MX75
The MX74's are new and on sale
thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They are completely different skis. With that said, the MX74 is still a very good ski and if you can find a great discount price on them, greb em.

TS
S

surfski

Booting up
Skier
1mm ? hmmmm thanks i liked that humour? I have wanted to try an MX series for years ski mostly groomers in Austria now and held off thinking they might be too much ski for me.
I am 163cm tall 65yr male about 10 kg over weight at 73kg current skis include Atomic DD GS 166cm, 163cm I-Speed which i have never liked but it is base high so im now looking into a retune starting with a flat base grind, Head ISL at 155cm my most used skis, and a Kastle LX72 in 162cm which i like a lot in softer snow and bumps but breaks away at speed.I have an as yet unused Dynastar Masters slalom in a 158cm, the MX74 is available in 156cm and 164cm and I would go for 164cm does this sound like the right choice ?

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
1mm ? hmmmm thanks i liked that humour? I have wanted to try an MX series for years ski mostly groomers in Austria now and held off thinking they might be too much ski for me.
I am 163cm tall 65yr male about 10 kg over weight at 73kg current skis include Atomic DD GS 166cm, 163cm I-Speed which i have never liked but it is base high so im now looking into a retune starting with a flat base grind, Head ISL at 155cm my most used skis, and a Kästle LX72 in 162cm which i like a lot in softer snow and bumps but breaks away at speed.I have an as yet unused Dynastar Masters slalom in a 158cm, the MX74 is available in 156cm and 164cm and I would go for 164cm does this sound like the right choice ?
I have skied a few places in Austria and really liked them. You sound (from your gear) like you are most likely a pretty accomplished skier. I have the MX89, BMX108 and MX99 that I just bought and have not sked yet. I also have lots of other top rated skis. I am a 63 year old male. I have become a huge Kästle MX fan over the last 5 or so years. It is known as a good skiers ski. I do not know if it would over power you as I am much heavier than you. It would be good if you could demo them to find out if you like them. Quality is there. There are others on this site with more knowledge about Kastle skis than me. There is also an LX model but I know little about it.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you elaborate? I find this surprising.

From 20 to 21 they changed everything about the ski including where the skis were built other that Kastle and MX. the new MX75 is a more complaint ski with a larger sweetspot. It performs better and more consistent at slower to medium speeds. The new tip profile leands to easiet turn in or actual tip iniation. There is an ever so slight loss of top end performance but that is very minor.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It seems to be following the common (d)evolutionary path. Start out as a great high performing ski for the few highly skilled and influential skiers at the top of the pyramid. Then make it easier for the masses to ski and better suited to slower speeds, while sacrificing as little as possible of that top end performance.

TS
S

surfski

Booting up
Skier
I have skied a few places in Austria and really liked them. You sound (from your gear) like you are most likely a pretty accomplished skier. I have the MX89, BMX108 and MX99 that I just bought and have not sked yet. I also have lots of other top rated skis. I am a 63 year old male. I have become a huge Kästle MX fan over the last 5 or so years. It is known as a good skiers ski. I do not know if it would over power you as I am much heavier than you. It would be good if you could demo them to find out if you like them. Quality is there. There are others on this site with more knowledge about Kästle skis than me. There is also an LX model but I know little about it.
would you be concerned if i lost the 10kg weight ?
My target weight is max 140lbs
I am a technically competent skier based upon the only coach ive had. She was a lady who coached the local racers at Kitzsteinhorn told me i was good and very few people on the piste are good skiers (maybe blowing smoke i dont know) and that I ought to be in race boots (news to me)
However having been taken out from behind twice once pretty badly by a snowboarder I realise my body doesn't heal like when i was young and while i have enjoyed speed I am trying to dial things back a lot and up the fun factor by more variable terrain.
Having found this site and looking for a ski which will give a smooth ride, good grip make me smile and be unfused by bumps or heavier lumpier snow the MX 75 together with the Stockli AX seem to get high praise then i found the 74's on sale and it is a temptation.
I confess though part of my heart wants to Try the Stockli WRT or the Fisher WC CT and have that full on stable grip.
I agree to demo is the way but there is no reasonable chance for me to do this if for no other reason many resorts are closed and I have no place local to try them I have not even had a chance to ski my new to me local area near Bad Kleinkirchheim having only recently move into this area from the UK the BKk ski resort is currently closed but i have a very small resort we hope to try tomorrow or early next week
As what we like is so individual and the ski area we ski in has an influence ( how crowded and how much space etc to open the throttle or not i feel a bit lost as im trying to go in a new direction partly against the youngster inside and will be buying blind

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
would you be concerned if i lost the 10kg weight ?
My target weight is max 140lbs
I am a technically competent skier based upon the only coach ive had. She was a lady who coached the local racers at Kitzsteinhorn told me i was good and very few people on the piste are good skiers (maybe blowing smoke i dont know) and that I ought to be in race boots (news to me)
However having been taken out from behind twice once pretty badly by a snowboarder I realise my body doesn't heal like when i was young and while i have enjoyed speed I am trying to dial things back a lot and up the fun factor by more variable terrain.
Having found this site and looking for a ski which will give a smooth ride, good grip make me smile and be unfused by bumps or heavier lumpier snow the MX 75 together with the Stöckli AX seem to get high praise then i found the 74's on sale and it is a temptation.
I confess though part of my heart wants to Try the Stöckli WRT or the Fisher WC CT and have that full on stable grip.
I agree to demo is the way but there is no reasonable chance for me to do this if for no other reason many resorts are closed and I have no place local to try them I have not even had a chance to ski my new to me local area near Bad Kleinkirchheim having only recently move into this area from the UK the BKk ski resort is currently closed but i have a very small resort we hope to try tomorrow or early next week
As what we like is so individual and the ski area we ski in has an influence ( how crowded and how much space etc to open the throttle or not i feel a bit lost as im trying to go in a new direction partly against the youngster inside and will be buying blind
I do not know if the MX series would be too stiff for you as I do not ski with you. Others on this site would be more qualified to answer this question.
Philpug would be a very good source for information. pertaining to this ski. 140lbs is petty light I weigh 250lbs. Demo is best. If you buy them for a good deal you could always sell them as the market for Kastle MX is always pretty good. I also buy skis online without demo and have not liked a few of them that I then sold.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Hi Surfski,
Welcome to skitalk!

I owned the mx73, 83, 84, 98 and 74, and loved the mx74.
This yr it ended up coming in second place in a test for which one I"d keep with the stockli laser SC, but I still liked it. It is less of rec slalom ski than many, more all around, versatile and not overly demanding, while new one is ever easier. If you are looking for a slightly wider easier SL ski, it's worth a look, for sure, as are the stockis you mentioned, AX and SC. Laser SX and WRT are not in that playful category, both more serious, close to race skis.

Cheers!
W

TS
S

surfski

Booting up
Skier
Hi Surfski,
Welcome to SkiTalk!

This yr it ended up coming in second place in a test for which one I"d keep with the Stöckli laser SC, but I still liked it. It is less of rec slalom ski than many, more all around, versatile and not overly demanding, while new one is ever easier. If you are looking for a slightly wider easier SL ski, it's worth a look, for sure, as are the stockis you mentioned, AX and SC. Laser SX and WRT are not in that playful category, both more serious, close to race skis.

Cheers!
W
thank you for that it helps make things clearer. I have not pulled the trigger yet but part of me knows if i dont buy the 74's it is something i will always wonder about. The higher performance skis closer to race models i will know to go there or not next season after i have got back on snow and seen what the skiing where i now live is like, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi Surfski,
Welcome to SkiTalk!

This yr it ended up coming in second place in a test for which one I"d keep with the Stöckli laser SC, but I still liked it. It is less of rec slalom ski than many, more all around, versatile and not overly demanding, while new one is ever easier. If you are looking for a slightly wider easier SL ski, it's worth a look, for sure, as are the stockis you mentioned, AX and SC. Laser SX and WRT are not in that playful category, both more serious, close to race skis.

Cheers!
W

Hi Wade, just ran across your name by accident. Hope you are doing well. Am 79now and still skiing. I just gave the "Pole Ready" tip to my best friends wife 2 days ago. Sort of overcame my reluctance in powder.

FullSizeRender_2.jpg Silver Mt

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Looks fun Pete!
We did have some good fun at sugar bowl, I think about our friend Ted everytime I drop into the left side of west face toward chute 75, what an amazing man he was.

"Pole ready" never goes out of style, steeps, bumps, pow, still a favorite tip, even though I don't teach anymore.

Awesome to hear you are still out there turning 'em both ways, inspriational!

Cheers!
W

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks fun Pete!
We did have some good fun at sugar bowl, I think about our friend Ted everytime I drop into the left side of west face toward chute 75, what an amazing man he was.

"Pole ready" never goes out of style, steeps, bumps, pow, still a favorite tip, even though I don't teach anymore.

Awesome to hear you are still out there turning 'em both ways, inspriational!

Cheers!
W

Life is an amazing experience, Ted will always be an important part of my life and yourself a rather short run down under Lincoln Chair. Almost funny how that one run is etched in my memory. Nice to see you doing well. My Best Pete

TS
S

surfski

Booting up
Skier
The skis arrived today and if I don't like them on the snow ill hang them on the wall as art they are way pretty to me but then i like blue and as we know skis and ski boots have to be bought on colour.
Oh and a very quick look by eye then a true bar and these look very very nice and flat on the bases
Thank you for all the input, I don't know if they will get skied this year but having them in hand im sure they wont be too much ski even if i get to target weight :wag:

Sponsor

Staff online