• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpauldingSmails

Uh oh, somebody's wrong on the internet again!
Skier
I train for next ski season! It's time for more intensive strength and conditioning with the log, sandbag, prowler, barbell, punching bag, and tempo intervals. I also bought a program from Mountain Tactical Institute. It's a six week preseason prep and it looks well done. Summer is for injury proofing.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
@surfsnowgirl - wow! you're going to be learning on a proper boat! lucky! ive been sailing since i was a kid, but where I grew up it wasn't really a luxury - everyone did it, and our parents basically popped us on a laser when we were 7 or 8 and of we went. you are going to love it! Im so jealous!

we do the usual hiking, mountain biking around here. we also usually take one trip with the kids during the summer - this year it's amsterdam, paris and croatia (to hang out with my parents and lie on the beach!). SO and I are really lucky that we can work remotely, so it's not too difficult to take off for a trip for a month. We try to do a big trip with the kids every other year or so.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
If she's got a big enough crew you might just start out as rail meat..

LOL love this.... Once upon a time, I was on a team and we raced a lot, I was the Spinnaker girl, it was a blast to sit on the bow and pop the chute.. all J boats and one was a big bad ass ocean going boat.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@surfsnowgirl - wow! you're going to be learning on a proper boat! lucky! ive been sailing since i was a kid, but where I grew up it wasn't really a luxury - everyone did it, and our parents basically popped us on a laser when we were 7 or 8 and of we went. you are going to love it! Im so jealous!

we do the usual hiking, mountain biking around here. we also usually take one trip with the kids during the summer - this year it's amsterdam, paris and croatia (to hang out with my parents and lie on the beach!). SO and I are really lucky that we can work remotely, so it's not too difficult to take off for a trip for a month. We try to do a big trip with the kids every other year or so.

I'm excited. Tomorrow's my first day. Need to track down some shoes with white soles. I don't want to scuff the boat my black soled shoes. Nervous as I've only been on a boat a couple times in my life and never a sail boat. I'm excited to potentially have a new fun summer activity to look forward to when winter ends. You are lucky to have summers off, I'm jealous. I can work remotely which helps but I don't get that much time off ;). You have a fabulously fun summer planned. Post pics!!!!!! We'll have to get there one of these summers, would love to see Banff in the summertime!!!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I went to Cirque du Soleil on Sunday! I didn't realize there was one so close - even closer than Denver. The athleticism, balance, trust, strength ... just, wow.

(I saw a Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas a few years ago. It was ... wow. Much bigger stage, much scarier stunts.)

Posaune

sliding
Skier
This summer I'll:

Work on my Christmas tree farm, mowing, and shearing and pruning the trees (this takes about 4 weeks of my time)
Camp (we have a private spot available to us)
Sail cruise in the San Juan Islands, and maybe the Gulf Islands in B.C. (Beneteau 421)
Play outdoor festival gigs with my swing band
Work at my cabin to prepare it for next ski season (fix roof leak, bring in wood, etc.)
Hike the Cascades

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Went hiking with friends on Saturday, fixed my lawnmower on Sunday, then made pasta sauce and bbq some ribs on Monday.

Although the not-broken-anymore ankle is still in rehab, I wore my prescribed brace and that leg only got fatigued in the last mile of the hike!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Been 30 yrs since I've been in the Boundary Waters. Went this past weekend with Son and others. Really fun and no electronics. :)

20180504_173040_Burst01.jpg
20180524_163638.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been 30 yrs since I've been in the Boundary Waters. Went this past weekend with Son and others. Really fun and no electronics. :)

View attachment 46787 View attachment 46788

My wife is from Wisconsin (West Bend-Jackson-Cedarburg area) and we've fished up north quite a bit. Those Northern Pike are good eating if you know how to filet them!

Everyone in the family has caught a muskie except my son. I had one incredible week where I caught three, which I attribute it to the excellent guiding by my father-in-law. I hope to get a little fishing in over the summer, but its not the same out here in PA.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
In my other life I lived in Plymouth, Minnesota for 2 years and we'd go to Wisconsin Dells a couple times and I had the best time on some go cart track. Haven't been there in years. I also wasn't into anything outdoors then so I didn't fully appreciate the lakes and all that was around. I do, however, miss the Grand Ol Creamery in St. Paul.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Ok so sailing was sooooo fun. I was put to work quickly as I learned that everyone gets a job. It was a beautiful night. I apologize in advance if I use incorrect terminology as I'm still learning. My first job was to write down the course on the white board. Next job was to man the course, aka crawl from side to side every time the captain yelled tack or jib. Put my muscle mass to use as I leaned in from side to side as the boat turned. I quickly learned to duck as the sail whipped around. I had mini heart attacks the first few times because the boat was rather um slanted as we were turning. After a few times it became fun. Next I was given the task of what they called butt boomer aka stand on the raised center part of the boat putting leverage on the sail arms to keep it pushed out "into the wind". There were 6 boats in our division and we ended up finishing 3rd so we got a prize. The capital was happy and we celebrated with beers as we docked. Then we went into the club where appetizers, drinks and dinner awaited. I guess 3 boats each week sponsor the evening so that's how the dinners, etc get funded. It was a really fun evening. My friend Jenn who's a captain also was "piloting" the boat most of the time and Captain Tom was pleased at how the evening went, he said it was a great evening and that we were welcome back anytime. We're going again June 27th.

Here's a few pictures.

20180530_195804_HDR_resized.jpg
20180530_200155_resized.jpg
20180530_203652_HDR_resized.jpg
IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_1857.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
I went to Cirque du Soleil on Sunday! I didn't realize there was one so close - even closer than Denver. The athleticism, balance, trust, strength ... just, wow.

(I saw a Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas a few years ago. It was ... wow. Much bigger stage, much scarier stunts.)
Is that the new one where they're on roller skates? Saw a poster.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
1. Catch up on the home owner projects that have been set aside for better schedule. AKA my "Honey Do List"
2. Go fishing
3. Go Kayaking
4. Cut the Lawn and do some Landscaping
5. Start a restoration project on two 1970's touring bikes.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
1. Catch up on the home owner projects that have been set aside for better schedule. AKA my "Honey Do List"
2. Go fishing
3. Go Kayaking
4. Cut the Lawn and do some Landscaping
5. Start a restoration project on two 1970's touring bikes.

Whatcha got @Uncle-A ?
Here's my two loaded touring mounts from the early 80's
1982 Specialized Expedition
1983 Lotus Éclair
You'll note they are sporting the wonderful half-step plus granny drivetrains, perfect gearing for loaded touring.
Then for lighter weekend tours these two beauties
1973 Gitane GranTourisme
1980 Bruce Gordon Sport Touring

82 Specialized Expedition.jpg
83 Lotus Eclair.jpg
73 Gitane GranTourisme.jpg
80 Bruce Gordon Sport Touring.jpg

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is that the new one where they're on roller skates? Saw a poster.

The show was Corteo. It looks like maybe the roller skates were from the Totem show.

Regardless, the sheer athleticism ... wow.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This year I’m doing something new in the off-season - ankle surgery! Yippee.

Sponsor

Staff online