What do YOU look for in a +/- 100 wide ski?

BMC

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am debating adding a +/- 100 waist ski to my lineup. I’m currently on an enforcer 88 and an Atris. That quiver is pretty good for my needs but I can always tinker, ya know!

If I were to add something in the 100 range would fit nicely but the question is what type of 100? Something like an enforcer 100 or something like the DPS 100 rp?

I’d use this ski for low end pow days, a day or two after the storm, or when visiting a bigger mountain like snowbird (canyons is my home turf).

The skis I’m currently interested in are the following, and as you can see, they straddle the line between more piste focused with off trail chops and off trail focused with piste chops:
Enforcer 100
Justis
Camox
Wailer 100
Ranger 102
That’s a really good question, because there are at least two potential styles for this width ski, and any number of variations of use case.

So if your priority is in resort skiing, with a priority on off piste skiing such as powder and some bumps but also wanting to maximise groomed snow skiing (for the width) you’d look at a more directional ski with minimal tail rise and a couple of sheets of metal - Völkl Mantra 102, Nordica Enforcer 100, Blizzard Bonafide etc.

If your priority is the off piste, particularly tight trees and bumps, and you place lesser emphasis on groomed snow performance, you might look at something a little more playful - Nordica Enforcer 104 Free, Blizzard Rustler, DPS Wailer 100 etc.

Theres also the whole touring thing as well. Do you want this ski to double for side country duty, and whack AT bindings on it? That will see you on a lighter weight ski.

The only two skis on your lost of which I have experience are the Enforcer and Wailer. They’re vastly different skis, imho, but both will also work fine. I own the Enforcer 100 and love it. I own the Wailer 112 and love it. They have very different purposes though.

For me, I use a 100mm ski as a snowy day ski in Australia...the Australian version of a powder ski. it’s in bounds and not often in tight trees. I use an Enforcer 100 with alpine bindings.

In Japan it becomes my daily driver, with a use case of groomers, and otherwise in the main off piste skiing in soft snow, around 50% of that time in trees. For this I use the Enforcer 104.

BMC

Getting on the lift
Skier
So I’ve narrowed my thinking on this. I don’t want my 100mm to be a Swiss Army knife/Jack of all trades. I want it to be a tree ski. My enforcer 88 is all-mountain enough for me to me the Swiss Army knife and my Atris is wide enough for true powder days. What I want this ski for is trees.

I realized trees are where I spend most of my time on days like yesterday (3 inches, more in favored areas) or a day or two after a midwinter storm when the snow is still good. I did 20K vertical feet in trees yesterday! Was on my Atris and it served me just fine but if I think a more specific tool would have been exactly what I wanted.

So that leaves me with the following to try (next year unfortunately):
Wailer 100 (but what’s with the pagoda 100 that blister posted yesterday but I can’t read?)
Rustler 10

What else should make the short list for a +/- 100mm tree specific ski?
Nordica Enforcer 104. It’s good in trees, just more damp and heavy than the skis you’ve mentioned.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Not to hijack this thread, but this is kinda-similar to my mission now too. Looking for that 10X long(190'ish) 'charger', something to compliment my Atris. Atris is a FUN ski but I find it has a definite speed limit, for me, when snow gets tracked out or the heavy slush starts to mound up. It is however the funnest ski, Ive skied in recent memory, in the bumps and tight trees. I want something for hauling the mail through our more open terrain and crushing through the crud/slop at 50+. Off-piste performance is number one, on-piste I'll survive back to the lift.

My short list of candidates and my initial thoughts:
-Cochise(could be a great mixture of charger/maneuverable?)
-Mantra 102(I loved my M5's, I imagine it's more float w/ 3d sidecut)
-Justis(charges with some of the 'fun' similarities to my Atris? Maybe not as 'charger' as some of the others in this list but can manage some tighter terrain??)
-M-Pro 105(definite charger, no speed limit. Stay out of bumps?? Corbetts has them for $425(USD))

Only ski locally available for demo is the 184 mantra.

anders_nor

Out on the slopes
Skier
m102 191cm is a chaaaaarger. 3d radius is fun on it and for me its what makes me grab that ski, over other chargy skis I have. its not naturally quick edge to edge, you really have to work it if you wanna do that, ref jump carves I write about later here. it does however have very good fast bases, its heavy and its FAST, even on the snow we had today everybody else was struggeling, a racer we met topped out at 45mph even going straight on his GS FIS, while I could do 50mph carves no problem.

I took it for our +13c , sun and springsnow today, I was unsure on how much of piles there were, and how much ice under (rain and sub zero at night) , I was laying perfect 50mph edgelock carves in the springsnow, while everyone else was struggeling to survive with the piles with ice under at a few select places. It really just doesnt care what is in front of it, the superlong running surfaces also spans divots in snow / prep very well. for me the 3d radius is what makes the m102 come alive, you can really get some edge angle and change it up, and I can bend it to tighter radius really feeling the G in turns, heck I even tried to do some "jump" carves today from side to side as I could flex the ski proper today since grip was pretty much endless. such a weird fun thing on a heavy stiff ski. Jumping the rollers and trying to do stuff in the air you are instantly reminded that "hey Im long and heavy, dont do weird stuff in the air" but you can throw some nice shiftys, and I'm quite sure I did the longest jump on a roller today of all season. (buddy scoped it was clear and was standing watch on knuckle)

never tried the 184cm m102, but if your 5 foot something it will probably be very chargy as well.

@GregK is on me to buy some m-pro 105 aka pro rider, but they are very rare here, and Im not paying 5-600usd for an old ski.

I'd never ever ever take any of thoose skis into tight woods with heavy snow.... except for the justis. The justis will be chargy if your used to atris, but its not m102 chargy.

justis is chargy up to say 50-55mph or so, and on hard surfaces you can feel the rocker, but its a good ski for sure. never does weird stuff. M102 is fine even on ice doing 70. the justis is my favorite black crows ski by far.

GregK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I want something for hauling the mail through our more open terrain and crushing through the crud/slop at 50+. Off-piste performance is number one, on-piste I'll survive back to the lift.
192cm MFree 108 is your ski or the 2021 190cm Candide 3.0 (mounted 3cm back) would work as well. Both are still quite fun and playful off piste with their twin tips and rocker but powerful and stable carvers on piste. Much more damp, stable and powerful vs the Astris without being too demanding.

If you want to absolutely RIP groomers at 60mph plus and not even notice if they are rough or not, the MPro 105 is your ski. Many owners have this ski as their open bowl/groomer destroyer and have purchased the 192cm MFree 108 as their “bit of snow/off trail” ski as it is a more playful ski that can still charge. So if your priority is on trail, the MPro 105 and off trail like you said, 192cm MFree 108. Corbetts had the MFree 108 on for $480 CAN but sold out now.

Mantra 102 more versatile than the MPro 105 at lower speeds but the sheer weight, long turning turning radius and tips that glide over anything set the MPro 105 apart from anything out there. Maybe a Moment Commander 108 in 194cm.

anders_nor

Out on the slopes
Skier
you know its bad when mantra 102 is "more versatile" than something :D :D

would be interesting to test the CT 3.0 -3 mounted.

DoryBreaux

Friend for Hire on Powder Days
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Not to hijack this thread, but this is kinda-similar to my mission now too. Looking for that 10X long(190'ish) 'charger', something to compliment my Atris. Atris is a FUN ski but I find it has a definite speed limit, for me, when snow gets tracked out or the heavy slush starts to mound up. It is however the funnest ski, Ive skied in recent memory, in the bumps and tight trees. I want something for hauling the mail through our more open terrain and crushing through the crud/slop at 50+. Off-piste performance is number one, on-piste I'll survive back to the lift.

My short list of candidates and my initial thoughts:
-Cochise(could be a great mixture of charger/maneuverable?)
-Mantra 102(I loved my M5's, I imagine it's more float w/ 3d sidecut)
-Justis(charges with some of the 'fun' similarities to my Atris? Maybe not as 'charger' as some of the others in this list but can manage some tighter terrain??)
-M-Pro 105(definite charger, no speed limit. Stay out of bumps?? Corbetts has them for $425(USD))

Only ski locally available for demo is the 184 mantra.
Cochise vs MPro... MPro is more versatile, a little softer tip and tail but just as stiff (maybe stiffer) underfoot. MPro changes after '22, sounds like wider and more rocker (boo) but not confirmed yet. I use the F-Team/MPro as my bigger coaching ski and love it. Only on the deepest or firmest days do I grab something else lately.

locknload

Getting on the lift
Skier
At your height and build I would pretend nothing but the longest length even exists...
At 6''2" and 240ish I won't even consider anything under a 186 anymore, and that's really pushing it. I'm almost to the point that every ski I own is over 189. Especially now that tip rise is a thing in almost every goddamn bloody ski out there. Maybe I missed it in earlier posts but, do you like power or finesse more? Do you want to hulk smash or hop around like peter parker? Chris Bentchetler or Daron Rahlves? Drift king or F1?
I'd look at the Ranger 107ti if you want something that does well off trail and can hold an edge on groomers.bor the 98ti if you're willing to go almost 100...
"Maybe I missed it in earlier posts but, do you like power or finesse more? Do you want to hulk smash or hop around like peter Parker?"

This is one of the better ways to describe your ski preferences that I've seen around here in awhile...I'd like to ask the court to submit "Hulk Smash" and "hopping around like Peter Parker" to be the new archetypes for a burly crud buster ski vs a nimble, agile, playful quick turning ski...can I get a second?