• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I am debating adding a +/- 100 waist ski to my lineup. I’m currently on an enforcer 88 and an Atris. That quiver is pretty good for my needs but I can always tinker, ya know!

If I were to add something in the 100 range would fit nicely but the question is what type of 100? Something like an enforcer 100 or something like the DPS 100 rp?

I’d use this ski for low end pow days, a day or two after the storm, or when visiting a bigger mountain like snowbird (canyons is my home turf).

The skis I’m currently interested in are the following, and as you can see, they straddle the line between more piste focused with off trail chops and off trail focused with piste chops:
Enforcer 100
Justis
Camox
Wailer 100
Ranger 102

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
justis + ranger 102 = <3

camox is a mini atris kinda, justis is more chargy
The justis and ranger would fall into the on piste ski with off piste chops category? That’s what I’m trying to figure out for myself!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yeah justis and 102 FR is beste on piste and harder stuff, but can still do other things, since you have the atris, the camox isnt soooo different from atris.

you need something thats wide and you can still go weeeee when its chopped up.

I own 102 FR, justis camox, atris and used to have E100, only ski I have not owned. is the wailer, so no idea on that.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I'd say flip it around i.e. more off piste with some on piste chops. Certainly for the Justis anyway. My memory of 102 Free is getting a bit hazy.
The justis is so confounding to me with the metal + rocker profile. The answer is to ski it but just on paper it’s a head scratcher!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the justis can charge, and has some edgehold and umph but doesnt lock you in

Im selling my atris, and camox and I sold my E100.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am debating adding a +/- 100 waist ski to my lineup. I’m currently on an enforcer 88 and an Atris. That quiver is pretty good for my needs but I can always tinker, ya know!

I've got narrower and wider skis, but my core quiver is the Enforcer 88 and 100. Love 'em, and seamless to switch between the two.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What do I look for in a 100mm ski? I look for versailtity. I want a ski that is going to handle some deeper snow if needed but not send me back to the car if the mountain gets skied out.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
What do I look for in a 100mm ski? I look for versailtity. I want a ski that is going to handle some deeper snow if needed but not send me back to the car if the mountain gets skied out.
Thanks, Phil. So, in terms of what I’ve listed, what fits your bill? I’m sure you have every choice in the world at your disposal, but what is your go-to 100?

And can you help me understand the justis a little more? Tons of rocker, metal, and very little in the way of early taper. It excels in deeper snow for a 100 (so I’ve heard) but how is it everywhere else?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, Phil. So, in terms of what I’ve listed, what fits your bill? I’m sure you have every choice in the world at your disposal, but what is your go-to 100?
Of your list, the Enforcer and Justis. For me, The Mindbender 98Ti, Bonafide and (if price is no object) the Augment AM98Ti in the jsut under 100mm range, going over, the Rossi Sender Ti, Volkl Mantra 102 and Salomon Stance 102. I am sure I left a few out that I would be really happy with.

And can you help me understand the justis a little more? Tons of rocker, metal, and very little in the way of early taper. It excels in deeper snow for a 100 (so I’ve heard) but how is it everywhere else?
Which ski are you referring to?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes. The 100 has to be the Swiss Army Knife of my quiver. Big bandwidth required.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Same here, a 100mm will be the ski I choose when I'm hoping for some deep snow but often end up on hardpack.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Make it easy. I've never heard of anyone hating the Enforcer 100. Any differences will be subtle. This coming from somebody that had the 100's and then bought Kastle FX104 then moved to the Stockli SR95. Take the Kastles out, and id be fine with either the 100's or the SR95's. Jack of all trades, master of none. <- some better than others at a particular "trade".

Reactions: BMC

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
For my application, the 100mm ish ski is my do everything Western ski, OR an east coast powder ski. Basically enough width and float for anything but a REALLY deep pow day is what I'm looking for, but something that will ski hardpack acceptably and be damp enough if the snow is shit. The Ranger 102 FR is exactly that to me. I've had in everything from near ice to 8" of pow, and the only place it wasn't excellent was the really firm stuff (the tips get flapping, and they aren't quite narrow enough to really trench that stuff) and the heavy crusty stuff (just not quite stiff/heavy enough to blast through that stuff). But those are tradeoffs for its relative playfulness in trees, bumps and pow.

Interestingly, I have the Fischer 102 FR and am considering the Enforcer 88, and you are the opposite. It seems to me they are very compatible skis in a quiver! Fischer is softer and more playful to the Nordica's stiffer, heavier and better edge hold.

Reactions: BMC
TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Of your list, the Enforcer and Justis. For me, The Mindbender 98Ti, Bonafide and (if price is no object) the Augment AM98Ti in the jsut under 100mm range, going over, the Rossi Sender Ti, Völkl Mantra 102 and Salomon Stance 102. I am sure I left a few out that I would be really happy with.

Which ski are you referring to?
The justis. The rocker + metal + lack of taper has thrown me for a loop! To the tips chatter if you hit hard pack? Does the 189 ski long or short and at that length is it cumbersome in trees?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The justis. The rocker + metal + lack of taper has thrown me for a loop! To the tips chatter if you hit hard pack? Does the 189 ski long or short and at that length is it cumbersome in trees?
I didn't ski the 189 so I have no idea but I rarely ski anything in that length.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
I know your first post mentioned it but it didn’t make your list. Last year I was skiing Cliff lined tight trees above Tower ? at Jackson Hole and some guy whizzed by me in a required trough and I thought “Whaaaaa?” Later I walked the shops and asked the technicians what ski could help me ski like that and three different shops told me “We don’t sell them here but walk to the last shop and talk to them about the DPS Alchemist Wailer 100RP.” I did and I bought them and for my tight tree use I don’t think I could be happier. Before last season I had never heard of DPS. And yes they carve groomers well for a 100cm wide ski.
I am 195-200 lbs. and I ski the 184 cm and it pivots on a dime and carves 15m.
Evo has it on sale now.
Since you are in Utah I think you can demo them at Snowbird IIRC.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

If I were to add something in the 100 range would fit nicely but the question is what type of 100? Something like an enforcer 100 or something like the DPS 100 rp?

I’d use this ski for low end pow days, a day or two after the storm, or when visiting a bigger mountain like snowbird (canyons is my home turf).

The skis I’m currently interested in are the following, and as you can see, they straddle the line between more piste focused with off trail chops and off trail focused with piste chops:
Enforcer 100
Justis
Camox
Wailer 100
Ranger 102

I have a love hate thing with the 100mm+- wide ski category. Some skis are mainly wide carvers and not fun in the trees or powder. To me I would rather have a narrower width on a ski with those characteristics to at least make it more pleasant to carve on groomers. There are very very few skis in that width range that offer solid carving performance AND good powder, soft snow and off piste fun and ease. Those I love.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a love hate thing with the 100mm+- wide ski category. Some skis are mainly wide carvers and not fun in the trees or powder. To me I would rather have a narrower width on a ski with those characteristics to at least make it more pleasant to carve on groomers. There are very very few skis in that width range that offer solid carving performance AND good powder, soft snow and off piste fun and ease. Those I love.
I’m looking less for stellar carving and more for off trail use, but something that can hold its on on groomers and not be some floppy noodle.

Sponsor