• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I didn't ski the 189 so I have no idea but I rarely ski anything in that length.
As someone who is 6’3”, 225 is the 189 the appropriate size or should I look at the size lower (184?)?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To complicate things, I'm hearing really good reports on Atomic's new Maverick 95 (more so than the 100).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I’m looking less for stellar carving and more for off trail use, but something that can hold its on on groomers and not be some floppy noodle.

The Enforcer 100 strikes a nice balance. Its a popular ski for good reason. Unless you are a very small and light skier they are easy to recommend.

I would love to try the Salomon Stance 96 since @Ron has highly recommended them for me and he knows where I ski and what skis I tend to like.

I would avoid skis like the new Bonafide and the Mantras, I love those skis but mostly for groomers, chopped up groomers and charging open bowls, not tight trees.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Q: What do I look for in a 100mm ski?
A: something a little under 95mm or a little over 105mm

I really like my 100mm something ski, Praxis 9D8 in 185cm. Does really well on groomers, not bad when they are skied out, fantastic on anything up to 6" and will blast through most everything the day after. But to the quote above, now that I have added the Fischer RC One 86 GTs to my quiver along with my K2 108TIs I am not sure were the 9D8s fit. Of course having a bunch of skis really has nothing to do with need or logic :)

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
As someone who is 6’3”, 225 is the 189 the appropriate size or should I look at the size lower (184?)?
At your height and build I would pretend nothing but the longest length even exists...
At 6''2" and 240ish I won't even consider anything under a 186 anymore, and that's really pushing it. I'm almost to the point that every ski I own is over 189. Especially now that tip rise is a thing in almost every goddamn bloody ski out there. Maybe I missed it in earlier posts but, do you like power or finesse more? Do you want to hulk smash or hop around like peter parker? Chris Bentchetler or Daron Rahlves? Drift king or F1?
I'd look at the Ranger 107ti if you want something that does well off trail and can hold an edge on groomers.bor the 98ti if you're willing to go almost 100...

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
So I’ve narrowed my thinking on this. I don’t want my 100mm to be a Swiss Army knife/Jack of all trades. I want it to be a tree ski. My enforcer 88 is all-mountain enough for me to me the Swiss Army knife and my Atris is wide enough for true powder days. What I want this ski for is trees.

I realized trees are where I spend most of my time on days like yesterday (3 inches, more in favored areas) or a day or two after a midwinter storm when the snow is still good. I did 20K vertical feet in trees yesterday! Was on my Atris and it served me just fine but if I think a more specific tool would have been exactly what I wanted.

So that leaves me with the following to try (next year unfortunately):
Wailer 100 (but what’s with the pagoda 100 that blister posted yesterday but I can’t read?)
Rustler 10

What else should make the short list for a +/- 100mm tree specific ski?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Dynastar MFree 99 looks like your perfect tree/moguls and soft groomer ski. Very similar shape to the MFree 108 which in the 182cm is a SUPER surfy and fun ski in bumps and trees. Pivots on a dime, not demanding but not a pushover.
The MFree 99 is even lighter and should be even quicker and easier to ski. Out next Fall but reviews like this one seems very positive. @Philpug now has a demo pair I saw as well.

TS
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Dynastar MFree 99 looks like your perfect tree/moguls and soft groomer ski. Very similar shape to the MFree 108 which in the 182cm is a SUPER surfy and fun ski in bumps and trees. Pivots on a dime, not demanding but not a pushover.
The MFree 99 is even lighter and should be even quicker and easier to ski. Out next Fall but reviews like this one seems very positive. @Philpug now has a demo pair I saw as well.

I didn’t love the MFree 108 in 192 when I demoed it this past winter so I wonder if I’ll have the same reaction to the 99?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I didn’t love the MFree 108 in 192 when I demoed it this past winter so I wonder if I’ll have the same reaction to the 99?

The 182cm MFree 108 is super surfy and playful, the 192cm MFree 108 version is much more serious and more “playful charger”.
The MFree 99 will be much more inline with the 182cm MFree 108 but even lighter and easier. You should demo the MFree 99 as you might love it.

I love the 192cm MFree 108 and the 185cm MFree 99 will be too light for my taste so we might be opposite on these skis! Lol

Sponsor