• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am debating adding a +/- 100 waist ski to my lineup. I’m currently on an enforcer 88 and an Atris. That quiver is pretty good for my needs but I can always tinker, ya know!

If I were to add something in the 100 range would fit nicely but the question is what type of 100? Something like an enforcer 100 or something like the DPS 100 rp?

I’d use this ski for low end pow days, a day or two after the storm, or when visiting a bigger mountain like snowbird (canyons is my home turf).

The skis I’m currently interested in are the following, and as you can see, they straddle the line between more piste focused with off trail chops and off trail focused with piste chops:
Enforcer 100
Justis
Camox
Wailer 100
Ranger 102
That’s a really good question, because there are at least two potential styles for this width ski, and any number of variations of use case.

So if your priority is in resort skiing, with a priority on off piste skiing such as powder and some bumps but also wanting to maximise groomed snow skiing (for the width) you’d look at a more directional ski with minimal tail rise and a couple of sheets of metal - Volkl Mantra 102, Nordica Enforcer 100, Blizzard Bonafide etc.

If your priority is the off piste, particularly tight trees and bumps, and you place lesser emphasis on groomed snow performance, you might look at something a little more playful - Nordica Enforcer 104 Free, Blizzard Rustler, DPS Wailer 100 etc.

Theres also the whole touring thing as well. Do you want this ski to double for side country duty, and whack AT bindings on it? That will see you on a lighter weight ski.

The only two skis on your lost of which I have experience are the Enforcer and Wailer. They’re vastly different skis, imho, but both will also work fine. I own the Enforcer 100 and love it. I own the Wailer 112 and love it. They have very different purposes though.

For me, I use a 100mm ski as a snowy day ski in Australia...the Australian version of a powder ski. it’s in bounds and not often in tight trees. I use an Enforcer 100 with alpine bindings.

In Japan it becomes my daily driver, with a use case of groomers, and otherwise in the main off piste skiing in soft snow, around 50% of that time in trees. For this I use the Enforcer 104.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I’ve narrowed my thinking on this. I don’t want my 100mm to be a Swiss Army knife/Jack of all trades. I want it to be a tree ski. My enforcer 88 is all-mountain enough for me to me the Swiss Army knife and my Atris is wide enough for true powder days. What I want this ski for is trees.

I realized trees are where I spend most of my time on days like yesterday (3 inches, more in favored areas) or a day or two after a midwinter storm when the snow is still good. I did 20K vertical feet in trees yesterday! Was on my Atris and it served me just fine but if I think a more specific tool would have been exactly what I wanted.

So that leaves me with the following to try (next year unfortunately):
Wailer 100 (but what’s with the pagoda 100 that blister posted yesterday but I can’t read?)
Rustler 10

What else should make the short list for a +/- 100mm tree specific ski?
Nordica Enforcer 104. It’s good in trees, just more damp and heavy than the skis you’ve mentioned.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Not to hijack this thread, but this is kinda-similar to my mission now too. Looking for that 10X long(190'ish) 'charger', something to compliment my Atris. Atris is a FUN ski but I find it has a definite speed limit, for me, when snow gets tracked out or the heavy slush starts to mound up. It is however the funnest ski, Ive skied in recent memory, in the bumps and tight trees. I want something for hauling the mail through our more open terrain and crushing through the crud/slop at 50+. Off-piste performance is number one, on-piste I'll survive back to the lift.

My short list of candidates and my initial thoughts:
-Cochise(could be a great mixture of charger/maneuverable?)
-Mantra 102(I loved my M5's, I imagine it's more float w/ 3d sidecut)
-Justis(charges with some of the 'fun' similarities to my Atris? Maybe not as 'charger' as some of the others in this list but can manage some tighter terrain??)
-M-Pro 105(definite charger, no speed limit. Stay out of bumps?? Corbetts has them for $425(USD))

Only ski locally available for demo is the 184 mantra.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
m102 191cm is a chaaaaarger. 3d radius is fun on it and for me its what makes me grab that ski, over other chargy skis I have. its not naturally quick edge to edge, you really have to work it if you wanna do that, ref jump carves I write about later here. it does however have very good fast bases, its heavy and its FAST, even on the snow we had today everybody else was struggeling, a racer we met topped out at 45mph even going straight on his GS FIS, while I could do 50mph carves no problem.

I took it for our +13c , sun and springsnow today, I was unsure on how much of piles there were, and how much ice under (rain and sub zero at night) , I was laying perfect 50mph edgelock carves in the springsnow, while everyone else was struggeling to survive with the piles with ice under at a few select places. It really just doesnt care what is in front of it, the superlong running surfaces also spans divots in snow / prep very well. for me the 3d radius is what makes the m102 come alive, you can really get some edge angle and change it up, and I can bend it to tighter radius really feeling the G in turns, heck I even tried to do some "jump" carves today from side to side as I could flex the ski proper today since grip was pretty much endless. such a weird fun thing on a heavy stiff ski. Jumping the rollers and trying to do stuff in the air you are instantly reminded that "hey Im long and heavy, dont do weird stuff in the air" but you can throw some nice shiftys, and I'm quite sure I did the longest jump on a roller today of all season. (buddy scoped it was clear and was standing watch on knuckle)

never tried the 184cm m102, but if your 5 foot something it will probably be very chargy as well.

@GregK is on me to buy some m-pro 105 aka pro rider, but they are very rare here, and Im not paying 5-600usd for an old ski.

I'd never ever ever take any of thoose skis into tight woods with heavy snow.... except for the justis. The justis will be chargy if your used to atris, but its not m102 chargy.

justis is chargy up to say 50-55mph or so, and on hard surfaces you can feel the rocker, but its a good ski for sure. never does weird stuff. M102 is fine even on ice doing 70. the justis is my favorite black crows ski by far.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I want something for hauling the mail through our more open terrain and crushing through the crud/slop at 50+. Off-piste performance is number one, on-piste I'll survive back to the lift.

192cm MFree 108 is your ski or the 2021 190cm Candide 3.0 (mounted 3cm back) would work as well. Both are still quite fun and playful off piste with their twin tips and rocker but powerful and stable carvers on piste. Much more damp, stable and powerful vs the Astris without being too demanding.

If you want to absolutely RIP groomers at 60mph plus and not even notice if they are rough or not, the MPro 105 is your ski. Many owners have this ski as their open bowl/groomer destroyer and have purchased the 192cm MFree 108 as their “bit of snow/off trail” ski as it is a more playful ski that can still charge. So if your priority is on trail, the MPro 105 and off trail like you said, 192cm MFree 108. Corbetts had the MFree 108 on for $480 CAN but sold out now.

Mantra 102 more versatile than the MPro 105 at lower speeds but the sheer weight, long turning turning radius and tips that glide over anything set the MPro 105 apart from anything out there. Maybe a Moment Commander 108 in 194cm.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
you know its bad when mantra 102 is "more versatile" than something :D :D

would be interesting to test the CT 3.0 -3 mounted.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Not to hijack this thread, but this is kinda-similar to my mission now too. Looking for that 10X long(190'ish) 'charger', something to compliment my Atris. Atris is a FUN ski but I find it has a definite speed limit, for me, when snow gets tracked out or the heavy slush starts to mound up. It is however the funnest ski, Ive skied in recent memory, in the bumps and tight trees. I want something for hauling the mail through our more open terrain and crushing through the crud/slop at 50+. Off-piste performance is number one, on-piste I'll survive back to the lift.

My short list of candidates and my initial thoughts:
-Cochise(could be a great mixture of charger/maneuverable?)
-Mantra 102(I loved my M5's, I imagine it's more float w/ 3d sidecut)
-Justis(charges with some of the 'fun' similarities to my Atris? Maybe not as 'charger' as some of the others in this list but can manage some tighter terrain??)
-M-Pro 105(definite charger, no speed limit. Stay out of bumps?? Corbetts has them for $425(USD))

Only ski locally available for demo is the 184 mantra.

Cochise vs MPro... MPro is more versatile, a little softer tip and tail but just as stiff (maybe stiffer) underfoot. MPro changes after '22, sounds like wider and more rocker (boo) but not confirmed yet. I use the F-Team/MPro as my bigger coaching ski and love it. Only on the deepest or firmest days do I grab something else lately.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At your height and build I would pretend nothing but the longest length even exists...
At 6''2" and 240ish I won't even consider anything under a 186 anymore, and that's really pushing it. I'm almost to the point that every ski I own is over 189. Especially now that tip rise is a thing in almost every goddamn bloody ski out there. Maybe I missed it in earlier posts but, do you like power or finesse more? Do you want to hulk smash or hop around like peter parker? Chris Bentchetler or Daron Rahlves? Drift king or F1?
I'd look at the Ranger 107ti if you want something that does well off trail and can hold an edge on groomers.bor the 98ti if you're willing to go almost 100...
"Maybe I missed it in earlier posts but, do you like power or finesse more? Do you want to hulk smash or hop around like peter Parker?"

This is one of the better ways to describe your ski preferences that I've seen around here in awhile...I'd like to ask the court to submit "Hulk Smash" and "hopping around like Peter Parker" to be the new archetypes for a burly crud buster ski vs a nimble, agile, playful quick turning ski...can I get a second?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
ski essentials said it best with the cochise.. hmm I can make 5 turns down that mountain face :D

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
95-98 mm should be able to do it all out west. Rip groomers on western “hard says”, ski bumps decently, crush crud, and Be fun in up to boot deep. For me these days, that is a monster 98. not sure what I’ll do when both pairs are worn out. But it will be a sad day. this year I skied it about 40 of 50 days and I don’t remember wishing for another ski any of those days. I used to think that wasn’t possible, that a 98 did everything well but nothing amazing. but now I know that 98 can carve like a good 88, bust crud as good as anything, and handle unbottomless pow days better than a fat ski. if im bottoming out , I want something narrower than my boot to keep lateral knee forces to a minimum.

Last edited:

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Back to the initial question: a stiffer flexing ski in that width will be my future daily driver on the mountain for the front AND back side on family trips. An If I would be in a position to swap skis in between runs all the time I would rather go with a narrower 85-90 mm plank instead and keep a 110ish in the car as supplement.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A 100ish ski needs to be able to charge crud and skied out wind effected snow, enough grip to get some nice g forces when carving fast on the groom and still soft enough flex for some fun skiing in the snow.

Currently got Kastle MX99s in that slot.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Nimbleness, decent float and some kinda hard pack chops cause I ski New England and there's always firm stuff somewhere. Current skis in this area are Volkl 90Eights, Stockli Stormrider 100s and Coalition SOS.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Question:
Would your purpose of a ~100 mm ski be different if you were skiing in the West vs East/Europe? In places where deeper snow is less frequent or soft snow skiing is more limited because of terrain, trees, it being off-piste (back-country, not controlled/patrolled), would you pick a 100 mm ski with different strengths? Or would you look for the same ingredients that a 100 mm ski in the West has, but in a narrower package?

One could argue either way, I suppose. In the East/Europe, a 100 mm ski is more freeride & soft snow oriented than a 100 mm ski in the Rockies. Or, the versatility and other attributes of a 100 mm ski in the West would be more suitable in a 90-95 mm ski for the East/Europe. Which option would you guys pick? And why?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Versatility. Happy with any turn initiation. Decent at a range of speeds (light speed not necessary). Forgiving is good. Dark top sheet and base to make it easier to find if they come off in loose snow. Soft tip enough to float, stiff enough to hold on the firm snow.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Question:
Would your purpose of a ~100 mm ski be different if you were skiing in the West vs East/Europe? In places where deeper snow is less frequent or soft snow skiing is more limited because of terrain, trees, it being off-piste (back-country, not controlled/patrolled), would you pick a 100 mm ski with different strengths? Or would you look for the same ingredients that a 100 mm ski in the West has, but in a narrower package?

One could argue either way, I suppose. In the East/Europe, a 100 mm ski is more freeride & soft snow oriented than a 100 mm ski in the Rockies. Or, the versatility and other attributes of a 100 mm ski in the West would be more suitable in a 90-95 mm ski for the East/Europe. Which option would you guys pick? And why?

I don't think deep snow performance is a consideration for a 100mm ski. But yes, I would choose a different go to 100mm ski if the mountain was more heavily timbered vs more open faces. East / west doesn't matter.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I don't think deep snow performance is a consideration for a 100mm ski.
In Europe, a 100 mm ski is considered 'freeride'. The 100 mm front side ski (Bonafide, Mantra M6, Enforcer 100, etc.) are therefore much more popular in the US than they are in Europe. According to our Blizzard & Nordica rep at least. And that would make sense. Most Europeans use a 88 mm as an all-mountain ski (not necessarily as a daily driver, that could be much narrower) and a ~100 mm ski as a freeride ski. Only in the snowiest places (St. Anton, Verbier, Val d'Isère, Serre Chevalier, etc.) you find daily drivers over 90 mm.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
What do YOU look for in a +/- 100 wide ski?

My wife and I prefer to ski off-piste in the trees. So, what I was looking for in a 100mm wide ski at Jackson Hole was a soft snow ski which could turn quickly in the trees including in the well defined luge tracks in some of the "must" turn areas before cliffs in tighter trees. And after walking through the shops and talking to the demo kids, I bought the DPS Wailer 100RP Alchemist construction in 184cm (me then 200lbs (now 188.5 lbs.) 5' 11") and it has since served that purpose VERY well at Kirkwood and elsewhere:

1626796705192.png

1626796593243.png

Sponsor

Staff online