• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you say to non-skiers when you get injured while skiing?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
So I recently broke a bone in my hand while skiing. This is my first serious injury in 25+ years of skiing (probably less than 200 ski days total over that time with 100 of those in last 6 years).

I find myself avoiding mentioning skiing if possible when explaining my injury. "I tripped and fell with my hand outstretched onto a rock" is effectively what happened. But if I mention "skiing" to a nonskier, the response is typically that skiing is "dangerous" and you're an idiot/daredevil for skiing and "you had it coming if you were skiing."

So how do you typically explain an injury you acquired while skiing? Do you run into this attitude from nonskiers and/or skiers?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I've broken bones from falls suffered while skiing, hiking and riding my bike.

I never tried to sugar-coat it or come up with a better story; none of those injuries occurred while doing anything reckless. Foot slipped on a wet rock. Tires slipped on gravel. Skis snagged a water bar. Heck, I was on the bunny hill on skis, I was on a flat trail when I fell hiking .

I was doing what I enjoy doing; if somebody wants to consider my chosen hobbies as "dangerous", then that's their decision. Crossing the road is dangerous. Not being active is dangerous to your long term health. I accept that my hobbies come with a risk of falling and falling comes with a risk of injuries. Periodically the dice will not roll in my favor. I think the risk:reward ratio is worthwhile, but I can also understand that others feel differently.

There are countless studies showing that people, in general, are very poor at evaluating risk.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So how do you typically explain an injury you acquired while skiing? Do you run into this attitude from nonskiers and/or skiers?
I just tell them.

Do you run into this attitude from nonskiers and/or skiers?
No... other than my parents being worry-warts.

...the response is typically that skiing is "dangerous" and you're an idiot/daredevil for skiing and "you had it coming if you were skiing."...
Here's what I'm thinking... wait until one of them gets in a minor car accident and complains about the cost... then tell them that driving is dangerous, and they had it coming if they decided to drive. :P

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Non-skiers in general? Or just the wrong non-skiers?

Wrong people. Skier & non-skier alike.

I meet Mamie 40+ years ago in similar circumstances. A friend was lay up in a hospital with a full leg cast after surgery on a big toe with severed nerve and tendon suffered while canoeing. She thought it sounded dangerous and inquired who to contact to go canoeing. The rest is history.

Find the right people for your life.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I've broken bones from falls suffered while skiing, hiking and riding my bike.

I never tried to sugar-coat it or come up with a better story; none of those injuries occurred while doing anything reckless. Foot slipped on a wet rock. Tires slipped on gravel. Skis snagged a water bar. Heck, I was on the bunny hill on skis, I was on a flat trail when I fell hiking .

I was doing what I enjoy doing; if somebody wants to consider my chosen hobbies as "dangerous", then that's their decision. Crossing the road is dangerous. Not being active is dangerous to your long term health. I accept that my hobbies come with a risk of falling and falling comes with a risk of injuries. Periodically the dice will not roll in my favor. I think the risk:reward ratio is worthwhile, but I can also understand that others feel differently.

There are countless studies showing that people, in general, are very poor at evaluating risk.
Well said, it captured most of my thoughts about our sport. It is sad but most of my skiing friend have given up the sport, only a few of the diehards left so when and if I get hurt they will understand.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
media-1616096969973-Mar_18_2021_12_08_PM.jpg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Since I never got hurt until I moved to a ski town, this was not really an issue. And I just said that since I'd skied 35 years until the first injury that if it was 35 years until the next one I was covered. (I would be 91, so unlikely.)

The next injury I had was from walking and I have to keep explaining it wasn't a ski injury.

TS
Seldomski

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Yes, I will ski next year. But I will need to put off the next ski purchase until I have both hands to move them up to the storage shelf when they arrive...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I just tell them how I broke whatever. I don't think it makes any difference whether I tell them I broke it doing karate, canoe-tripping, skiing, motorcycling, playing back-yard soccer, or anything else. I'm not planning on breaking something by slipping in the shower or fall just walking along just to prove that everything is dangerous.

Lot's of people seem to feel that skiing is dangerous. IIRC, fishing is dangerous; it is, IIRC, the leisure activity associated with the most deaths (the deaths are usually due to drowning).

Sometimes I comfort myself by thinking that perhaps those people who imply such things as "You are crazy for doing such a dangerous thing." are just envious and wish they had the courage to do the things they think (mistakenly?) are dangerous.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Collection of "skiing" injuries: ( not all me)

Slipping on icy stairs in ski boots. Broken wrist.

Getting run over by snow cat. Broken femur.

Bad helicopter landing. Tibia broken.

Fitting right ski boot and step on own unbooted left toes. Compound toe fractures.

Tree collision. Broken left hip.

Hit in back of head with chair (lift, not bar fight). Stitches.

But when the story is told, all are full of action and danger.