• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you say to non-skiers when you get injured while skiing?

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ruptured my Achilles tendon three weeks ago while skiing. Had surgery two weeks ago. Everyone knows I did it skiing. All I've received are words of encouragement. My surgeon has worked on at least seven other people I know. I have an outdoor knee scooter too. Up to almost a mile. Of course it's on Strava.
View attachment 132252
How did you rupture you Achilles skiing? Achilles rupture is typically from a jumping or high impact activity. Seems unlike that your Achilles would be subject to those kind of forces given the stiff ski boot that significantly limits ankle movements.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How did you rupture you Achilles skiing? Achilles rupture is typically from a jumping or high impact activity. Seems unlike that your Achilles would be subject to those kind of forces given the stiff ski boot that significantly limits ankle movements.
I was at the Granite Backcountry Alliance spring corn festival at King Pine NH. First time at the area. I had skinned up the front of the hill, which has a 350' vert. I transitioned my Marker Kingpins to downhill mode. While skiing down a fairly steep trail I had to maneuver around an section with thin snow. I made it through it and was moving in a slow speed right turn. I'm not sure if I buried a tip or what, but I took a slow twisting fall to the left with a rolling somersault. I didn't release from my left ski and immediately felt pain in my left ankle and calf. I made it down and had to skin back up and ski down the side I had come up. It was painful, but not too bad. My girlfriend is a physical therapist and kind of diagnosed it. Was confirmed by my doctor visit and had surgery a week later. Recovery from an Achilles rupture takes quite a while and can't be rushed. Of course, I immediately signed up a team to do the 12 Hours of Bradbury mountain bike race in September. My surgeon said they had quite a few skiing related Achilles injuries this year. I found out a friend of mine had wrecked his in February. I'm pretty optimistic and also bought the New England Platinum pass, which includes a base Ikon.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
My son and I are both currently on crutches after major orthopedic surgeries. One was a ski injury, the other a chronic issue exacerbated by skiing. And I just renewed our Ikon passes for next year.

Many nonskiers completely understand... as long as they are mountain bikers, surfers, climbers, or passionate participants in just about any outdoor sport.

But most of my work partners and colleagues just don't get it, so I dread telling them about my latest skiing, biking or hiking adventures. They are either sedentary or get their exercise 100% in a gym. They think I'm crazy and irresponsible.

So I've learned to avoid the topic. But crutches will be very hard to hide.

TS
Seldomski

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I was at the Granite Backcountry Alliance spring corn festival at King Pine NH. First time at the area. I had skinned up the front of the hill, which has a 350' vert. I transitioned my Marker Kingpins to downhill mode. While skiing down a fairly steep trail I had to maneuver around an section with thin snow. I made it through it and was moving in a slow speed right turn. I'm not sure if I buried a tip or what, but I took a slow twisting fall to the left with a rolling somersault. I didn't release from my left ski and immediately felt pain in my left ankle and calf. I made it down and had to skin back up and ski down the side I had come up. It was painful, but not too bad. My girlfriend is a physical therapist and kind of diagnosed it. Was confirmed by my doctor visit and had surgery a week later. Recovery from an Achilles rupture takes quite a while and can't be rushed. Of course, I immediately signed up a team to do the 12 Hours of Bradbury mountain bike race in September. My surgeon said they had quite a few skiing related Achilles injuries this year. I found out a friend of mine had wrecked his in February. I'm pretty optimistic and also bought the New England Platinum pass, which includes a base Ikon.

Good luck with the recovery! Sounds like it was pretty rough to get out of that situation.

But most of my work partners and colleagues just don't get it, so I dread telling them about my latest skiing, biking or hiking adventures. They are either sedentary or get their exercise 100% in a gym. They think I'm crazy and irresponsible.

This is the attitude I was referring to in the original post. What set me off was a friend (with no real context for what happened) calling me a "daredevil" and something like this was bound to happen eventually. :( Not much point in arguing with that attitude when our ideas of what is considered risky are so different.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
It is a risk, of course. I have friends who can't believe I started skiing at 62. But what is the risk of sitting in a chair and watching TV all the time? Tennis? To be fair, tennis is probably lower risk than skiing, but I couldn't do it now. My joints would put a stop to that.

I twisted my knee (ortho says it's going to be fine) last week at Killington. This is the worst injury I've had skiing - despite being an old gal with osteoporosis and arthritic joints. A twisted knee is five years! That could happen walking on an uneven sidewalk!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
So I recently broke a bone in my hand while skiing. This is my first serious injury in 25+ years of skiing (probably less than 200 ski days total over that time with 100 of those in last 6 years).

I find myself avoiding mentioning skiing if possible when explaining my injury. "I tripped and fell with my hand outstretched onto a rock" is effectively what happened. But if I mention "skiing" to a nonskier, the response is typically that skiing is "dangerous" and you're an idiot/daredevil for skiing and "you had it coming if you were skiing."

So how do you typically explain an injury you acquired while skiing? Do you run into this attitude from nonskiers and/or skiers?
"Shit Happens."

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be 67 in June. Pretty much everyone I hang out with ski and mountain bike. I've received overwhelming support and encouragement for my recovery and getting back at it. No one has said, "Don't you think you're too old for this."

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just saying!
received_1381300012269524.jpeg
IMG_20210502_164527_977.jpg
IMG_20210502_164528_030.jpg

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I dont live in bubble wrap, be it activities or the disease du juor.

I tore open my right knee on Bachelor on volcanic rock. I went back out west to visit a friend and OR didnt get much snow. (around 1990) Went down, hooked a rock and peeled flesh to bone. Got some grief about it.

Now when I tell non skiers that I ski, there will just about always say "dont break a leg". I tell them that I have done WAY more damage to myself working so If they want me to stay safe just write a check, a big one. Shoulders, knees from climbing poles (ski with two knee braces, arthritis). Getting hit by a tractor trailer going to work (back still screwed up). having a left turner in front of my on the bike while coming home from work (rt arm was Bugs Bunny floppy broke. Yes it was humerous, but not real funny) . Falling off poles and riding one down. Sliced by nails that idiots pound into poles. Lyme disease.
Then I might go over other activities that they might do that I have been hurt doing. Horses, cows, equipment operating, service time, lifting to heavy, canoeing, kayaking, camping, felling trees, ........

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Wife got trampled by one of her ponies trail riding in the mts 2 weeks ago. Hoof print on her ribs, cut face, ect. I tell people she got in a bar fight. :duck:

Sponsor