• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you say to non-skiers when you get injured while skiing?

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
I've had the "pleasure" of visiting the Orthopedic and Fracture Clinic in Portland a few times. The waiting room is always full of women soccer players on crutches. Based on what I see, that is more dangerous than skiing.
I live within an easy drive of Crystal, Snoqualamie Pass, and White Pass. I've seen FAR more soccer injuries end up in my O.R. than skiing or boarding injuries. Some teens and 20-something soccer players on their second ACL repair.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
Wife got trampled by one of her ponies trail riding in the mts 2 weeks ago. Hoof print on her ribs, cut face, ect. I tell people she got in a bar fight. :duck:
Read an article in the medical press recently that put horseback riding several pegs above skiing on the "hazardous" sports index. Which I can believe.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Read an article in the medical press recently that put horseback riding several pegs above skiing on the "hazardous" sports index. Which I can believe.
Everyone I have known that rides horses has been thrown more than once and many have experienced serious injuries.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
If you want to really freak out your risk-averse acquaintances, tell them that the lifetime odds of dying in a car accident are 1:107, which is a darn sight higher than skiing or lots of other "dangerous" sports. And yet I bet they never give the risk of driving a second thought.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want to really freak out your risk-averse acquaintances, tell them that the lifetime odds of dying in a car accident are 1:107, which is a darn sight higher than skiing or lots of other "dangerous" sports. And yet I bet they never give the risk of driving a second thought.
Right, but the unspoken statement behind the questioning of ski injuries is that they represent selfishness. I almost said that's it's like getting a yachting injury or a polo injury, but in those cases it's self evident that no one has to worry about hospital bills or lost hours at work. For many families, skiing occupies that middle ground of not-quite-affordable luxury. Ask me how I know.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not sure that it’s the implication of selfishness. I have many non skiing friends (SoCal) who think I’m nuts and point out that they can’t imagine doing that at … cough…”our age.” I remind them that I never quit so I’m an oldie but goodie!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
If you were a professional driver for decades you'd sing a different song. Also people spend alot more time in autos.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You're also more likely to die taking a shower. It's all fun and games until medical insurance actuaries start tacking on additional premiums for optional recreational activity... Full disclosure, I'm also in the club for starting the day with a fun day of horseback riding and ending up in emergency surgery and a week in the hospital. I was 9 years old at the time. Saddle cinch was not secured and I got dragged when the saddle flipped, foot caught in stirrup, stomped on the whole way..

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Saddle cinch was not secured and I got dragged when the saddle flipped, foot caught in stirrup, stomped on the whole way..
Ooff.
I fell off a pony that way. We had another family we were friends with that had a herd of ponies and a few horses. One day the teenagers were in a back pasture and I arrived late. I saddled up one of the ponies and went to look for them.

But the pony was smarter than I was and puffed out his chest as I tightened the cinch strap on the saddle. Halfway back to the pasture, the saddle starts to rotate. When it reached 90 degrees I gave up and bailed. Fortunately, ponies are smaller so it was a scaled-down, zero-injury version of your incident.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think one of the best things is when my wife tells her middle school students that she's going downhill mountain biking over the summer or on a ski trip in the winter. Their reactions are amazing, some of them just can't believe that their teacher does "crazier" things than them.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think one of the best things is when my wife tells her middle school students that she's going downhill mountain biking over the summer or on a ski trip in the winter. Their reactions are amazing, some of them just can't believe that their teacher does "crazier" things than them.
Yes, my middle school students didn't think that teachers had a life out of school. It was always fun to watch their expressions when talking about skiing. One school I worked at had a yearly student/facility basketball game and they were shocked to see the teachers play basketball. Especially when I, being the computer geek teacher could actually play the game well.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. For many families, skiing occupies that middle ground of not-quite-affordable luxury. Ask me how I know.

Funny thing is, most of our local hunters spend more on their gear and consumables than local skiers - but they still think of skiing as the luxe sport instead of the dirtbag backwater (byo lunch but take cafe ketchup and mustard) pastime that it is.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Funny thing is, most of our local hunters spend more on their gear and consumables than local skiers - but they still think of skiing as the luxe sport instead of the dirtbag backwater (byo lunch but take cafe ketchup and mustard) pastime that it is.
Working the angles to make skiing as cheap as possible is a skill I learned before I learned to ski.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I'm not going there.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
To those that say it is dangerous to me, I explain that I have had far more injuries playing 'regular' sports. Had to go to the hospital for soccer twice because of sprains. Once more for basketball and getting elbowed in the nose.

Injuries skiing? Other than my ego... none. Couple scans to double check pain from falling isn't anything bad. Thanks to Japanese healthcare, those x-ray and MRI scans total to ~$100 over the 9 years I've been here.

Sponsor

Staff online