• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you use your garage for?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have seen a trend of using garages as well, anything but a garage. They are being used extended rooms like man caves or pool rooms home entertainment studios and not for vehicles as originally intended. This trend is happening for numerous reasons for lifestyle changes and that some older garages just aren't big enough to accommodate many modern larger vehicles. In our case, it is dual purpose, we have one bay that is used as a SkiTalk's shop and the other ones for vehicles. I don't understand the people that pack their garages with a couple of hundred dollars of "stuff" and leave vehicles worth ten's of thousands exposed in the driveway or on the street.

The question I have is if you have a garage, how are you using it?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Ummm, it's a WORKING garage. It is my mechanical shop for all internal combustion related work. It must support yearly retro dirtbike restorations and well as all street and dirt bike maintenance and car work. Also stores two cars and a handful of motos. Has a hydraulic moto lift. Three cars wide and 1.5 deep.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I used to use my two-car garage for my car, but I broke one of the two springs that took the weight of the door so the tiny electric motor could lift it. A search for a new spring only resulted in salesmen trying their best to sell me a new door. The door (largest residential garage door I've ever seen) is made out of heavy wood, with many years of lead paint on it. It takes a couple of hundred lbs force to get it off the ground, even with one spring still connected. Eventually I go tired of the effort. The garage is now used for storage. Eventually I will find a spring for it, but it's not a priority. It's on my to-do list, but I have other things to do first. Like
1623517657186.png

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Right now we are using our garage for storage. We bought our place in November and gave up our storage unit so still sorting the contents. Eventually we'll park 1 car in there.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We have a two car garage, one side is for the Jeep and the other is for my tools and stuff that is home owner related.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...if you have a garage, how are you using it?
As a garage. You know, where my car goes when I'm not using it. :) Of course, I only have a single car garage, so not much space for anything else, but I do store some odds and ends there too... golf clubs, old building supplies, coolers, folding chairs, some tools, etc.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Storage. Bikes, ski, car parts, water, soda, etcetera and etcetera. A 3 car garage with no room for a car. Four cars parked outside.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For the cars. And the bikes, the lawnmower, my gardening bench, Jim's hockey closet, the generator, the gymnastics rings, and assorted junk. But it's big enough for everything, and the car doors can open wide enough to easily get in and out of the vehicles - none of that trying to slither out a door that can only open a couple of inches.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't have a garage. We have a barn, though. And a separate building that has a tool shed, wood shed, well pump house, and a plant shed.

Thinking of building/buying a DADU (detached accessory dwelling unit) or tiny house on wheels to avoid all the permitting that might be denied due to restrictions from the county. Rent it out, or live in it and rent out the house.

When I lived with my parents, the 2 car garage often had two cars that weren't running, along with all the other crap that accumulated.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
the only car that I try to keep mint stays inside the others can sit in the driveway.
otherwise its a combination gym, theatre, bar, and music room with still too much storage.
most tools, bikes, garden stuff, generators gas run equipment and "ongoing projects" are in shed A or B.

I just moved my business after 40 years in the same location. Believe me most of the stuff you've stored because "it's too good to throw out" you can't give away.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Stuff, tools, one car, one bike. My trucks have never fit in the garage even if it's empty.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tool storage, welding shop, bike repair, etc. Much too small and have to do much of my work outside in the drive.

Sponsor