• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you use your garage for?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The garage at my shore house is a single car, and it is mostly used for storage. I have hand tools, a couple of shop vac's, a snowblower, some old bikes, several beach chairs, my surf board/SUP, and all my fishing tackle. It is very neat compared to the main home but it has to be because when winter comes we have to fit all our outdoor stuff in the garage.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My garage is fairly large - 14x21 feet?

So I have my ski tuning bench in there, tool storage, the car, both bikes (MTB and road), spare bike parts, hiking packs... other miscellaneous "dirty" stuff that I don't want to bring inside. Notably, the skis are inside. Priorities!

My HOA plows the driveways if there isn't a car sitting in it, so there's some incentive to being able to park the car in the garage.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two car garage. I keep two cars in the garage. Also keep the snowblower in the garage; keep garden tools in the garage; some car related stuff in the garage; some stuff stored in the rafters of the garage. But I gotta have more garage! You can never have too much garage!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of.....
My parents live on 10 acres in Northern Michigan with a modest ranch style home with walkout basement and attached two car garage, with one car and a lot of stuff.
The original outbuilding was my grandparents where they stored their Farmall tractor and some carpentry tools.
When my parents moved into this home(formerly my grandparents home) my dad needed more room for his stuff so they built the second building which is bigger, taller and has a lot more space.
Some of you may remember @Philpug's post about the boot press modification here.
That is only a glimpse of his "stuff"

I have an album I started last fall when I was back home called "Jack's Barn Finds"

He has a total of 4 tractors, three of which run. (then there old Farmall
FA9F492B-F5F2-4C26-ABF6-54C5C5C46526.JPG

Log splitter
48347FA8-29BC-47D7-A5F0-56C35985E91A.JPG

1FD5791B-3BEA-4593-BD84-FFB1CE0F2275.JPG

This cool woodpecker house.
20467660-7414-4888-9882-A1372E4A5E48.JPG
F871739E-45E3-42FF-8B1F-A28E70252DB4.JPG

Don't get me started on how many chain saws and gas cans he has.
139B8D4B-E2DF-4E65-9728-CE4DFCDA8BA5.JPG

I can't list everything he has, but I know he has three lathes, several drill presses, band saws, and too many hand tools to mention.

92AF51FB-C9E0-44ED-8FF7-DBFDC2800AA3.JPG

21686046-24A5-4019-A0E2-A1931165F517.JPG

97857288-2168-4792-BC57-917757D6FFE6.JPG

Just a tip of the iceberg.
Meanwhile,...anyone notice how many old bikes are in random areas of his two garages?

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of.....
My parents live on 10 acres in Northern Michigan with a modest ranch style home with walkout basement and attached two car garage, with one car and a lot of stuff.
The original outbuilding was my grandparents where they stored their Farmall tractor and some carpentry tools.
When my parents moved into this home(formerly my grandparents home) my dad needed more room for his stuff so they built the second building which is bigger, taller and has a lot more space.
Some of you may remember @Philpug's post about the boot press modification here.
That is only a glimpse of his "stuff"

I have an album I started last fall when I was back home called "Jack's Barn Finds"

He has a total of 4 tractors, three of which run. (then there old Farmall
View attachment 136022
Log splitter
View attachment 136023
View attachment 136024

This cool woodpecker house.
View attachment 136025 View attachment 136026

Don't get me started on how many chain saws and gas cans he has.
View attachment 136027
I can't list everything he has, but I know he has three lathes, several drill presses, band saws, and too many hand tools to mention.

View attachment 136028
View attachment 136029
View attachment 136030
Just a tip of the iceberg.
Meanwhile,...anyone notice how many old bikes are in random areas of his two garages?

Looks like my grandfather's and parent's place. We come from similar stock.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like my grandfather's and parent's place. We come from similar stock.
I'm not going to lie. There's a teeny part of me that is kinda worried that, upon my parent's passing, my sisters and brothers-in-law will ask me to come back and help them sort it all out.

Uncle-A

Skier
I'm not going to lie. There's a teeny part of me that is kinda worried that, upon my parent's passing, my sisters and brothers-in-law will ask me to come back and help them sort it all out.
Do not pass on a chance to help the family, it will be lot work but it may be your chance to remember your parents by going through their stuff, thinking of them using it and keeping it in your memories.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do not pass on a chance to help the family, it will be lot work but it may be your chance to remember your parents by going through their stuff, thinking of them using it and keeping it in your memories.
There's also a chance you may find something valuable, either monetarily or sentimentally.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Back in 2003 I started a garage renovation business. www.parkplacegarage.com is still doing a fine trade 10 years after I sold it to one of my subcontractors. When I first started out my friends would say that I would do well with all the guys who hang out in the garage and work on "stuff" My insight (which was not entirely original but I ran with it) was that my customer was not Dakine and his Corvette and certainly not Trish's Dad. My customer was a doctor's wife who had already remodeled the entire house and was itching to get rid of the mess in the garage that her hubby ignored. So under the guise of a "gift" or "surprise" she would easily spend the 10k it takes to do it right.

So it's more interior, soft focused than other competitors and more profitable. I'm still sort of involved in Park Place but I don't do any of the day to day stuff, just the accounting and consultation occasionally. My own personal garage?

I don't have one.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There's also a chance you may find something valuable, either monetarily or sentimentally.
I know I know, but the last time I was there, when I took the pictures (you only saw a tip of the iceberg) I kept finding things I wanted to bring home with me, but was flying so couldn't.
I'm afraid of what I will bring home if/when....Its a long time off so....

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I’ll come help! Looks like some very cool stuff my wife would never let me bring home:ogbiggrin:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’ll come help! Looks like some very cool stuff my wife would never let me bring home:ogbiggrin:
Keep in mind that I only posted a few pictures of two big pole barns.
Just imagine the treasures in their walk out basement. :geek:

What is really crazy is that my dad knows what every single thing is, and exactly where to find it if you need it.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
4 cars, only 2 garage spaces... so 2 cars inside garage :| not tons of room for other fun projects, do keep a lot of carparts and boat propellers etc there. Dont really like to have skis there, to moist at times since we drive in & out during winter, and no heated tiles.

Uncle-A

Skier
I know I know, but the last time I was there, when I took the pictures (you only saw a tip of the iceberg) I kept finding things I wanted to bring home with me, but was flying so couldn't.
I'm afraid of what I will bring home if/when....Its a long time off so....
Maybe when the time comes you can contact the people from the TV show "Pickers" on the History Channel they pay good money for people's old stuff that they try to resale.

Sponsor