• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you use your garage for?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep in mind that I only posted a few pictures of two big pole barns.
Just imagine the treasures in their walk out basement. :geek:

What is really crazy is that my dad knows what every single thing is, and exactly where to find it if you need it.

My dear departed maternal grandfather had a farm shop a bit like that (a converted "granary").

His retirement enjoyment was fixing anything farm-related. And I sorta kinda helped a bit. Only slowed him down slightly, I suspect. :ogbiggrin:

Local farmers would bring everything by: Tractors, combines, threshers, sod cutting machines. You name it.

Cool experience.

@Fuller, I will NOT be inviting you by to help increase the cost of my garage expansion! :geek:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My Dad grew up in Bangor Maine at the family house that had been in the family for generations -- my father's grandfather had lived there.

Anyway, it was on a fairly large lot and the house was on one end with the "garage / shed" being on the other. I'm pretty sure the "garage" predates automobiles. Apparently my great-grandfather (who passed long before I was born) had quite the collection of tools as in Tricia's series of pictures above. I imagine most of it was sold off; I haven't been to the house since my grandmother passed and it was finally sold (late 70's)?

At some point though the "land between the house and the garage" was sold and somebody erected another house there, so it led to the curious condition that the garage was next door to somebody else's house.

When my grandmother passed and the house was sold the next-door-neighbor bought the garage :ogbiggrin: and the family home was sold separately.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
1624050679635.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
in that case, i have an incredible amount of soul......:roflmao: and this also extends to my office....:ogbiggrin:

Dang, I've got a cluttered office and a pretty neatly kept and well-organized garage.

What is going on?! :ogbiggrin:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For those who have been following along about my dad's two pole barns...there's more.

I called him to wish him a happy father's day today and we chatted a bit.
Dad: Did you hear that Mel Powell died.
Me: No, but I heard he wasn't doing well
Dad: Yeah, well I was driving by his house, which his son has now, and stopped to talk to him. He said he can't fit his tractor in his pole building because its full of his dad's old junk, so he was going to get a dumpster and get rid of it all. So, I looked around and offered him 200.00 to take it all off his hands.
Me: Yeah, dad because you need more stuff :doh:
Dad: Well I took two trailer loads of stuff and one of the trailers I took by the Amish and they bought a bunch of it off me for $140.00. I bet I can take some of this stuff to the flea market and do okay.
Me: Well, dad if anyone can, its you. ogsmile
Dad: Well there's an antique cream separator, some tire shop tools including a wheel mounter.....and on and on....

Me: Dad, I love you!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Those things WORK your arms!

Go Dad!
He thought for sure that the Amish would take that but they passed, saying that they sought no need to separate their cream.
My dad used to have a milk scale which was awesome for weighing luggage before travel. He sold that a long time ago.
Treasures!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We live on a hill -my garage is a two story structure 80’ from my house on the street. For better or worse, L.A. is now allowing garage conversions to A.D.U. ( accessory dwelling unit) due to a housing shortage. Does this mean I suddenly now have two houses? A house on my street is currently being remodeled and the garage disappeared-it became a bedroom-very strange looking.
I would say 70 percent of the garages in my area are filled with “ stuff” and very few cars.
My garage contains one car and the rest “ stuff” but I’m working on that.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
He thought for sure that the Amish would take that but they passed, saying that they sought no need to separate their cream.
My dad used to have a milk scale which was awesome for weighing luggage before travel. He sold that a long time ago.
Treasures!
[cream seperator] The Amish, at least in Lancaster PA, run electricity to milk storage areas on dairy farms -probably required
by health regulations for refrigeration. The house and other buildings do not have electricity !

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For better or worse, L.A. is now allowing garage conversions to A.D.U. ( accessory dwelling unit) due to a housing shortage. Does this mean I suddenly now have two houses?

Uncertain, but I bet it means your property taxes are going up!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Uncertain, but I bet it means your property taxes are going up!
Oh, I was half joking but I guarantee if there is a way to raise them they will and certainly would if I converted it. I’ll let the next owner do that.

Sponsor

Staff online