• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you use your garage for?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
During the current heat this week, the front 1/2 of the garage is now an indoor putting green for the grandson. No it may not be a soccer field.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Cleaned it out again to shelter my new used 2019 Sportwagen 4 Motion.

1627793225022.jpeg

Last edited:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
My car have priority use of the garage. No, *I* have priority! I'm NOT going out in the rain and snow just to get to my car! Besides, in the heat wave of late, I'm not leaving my car outside to become an oven... to roast ME!

As my cars kept on getting bigger (despite buying the same model over the years), there's less and less room left for storage. :(

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I don't understand the people that pack their garages with a couple of hundred dollars of "stuff" and leave vehicles worth ten's of thousands exposed in the driveway or on the street.
While my car does cost tens of thousands of dollar, so do my "stuff".

My "toys" - skis + bikes + kayaks (yes, all plural), add up to just as much.

More over, cars are made to withstand the element, some of my toys are not meant to be left out for extended period of time. Besides, my cars can't be picked up and walk away like my bikes and kayaks.

As my cars are getting bigger and take up more room in the garage, I'm forced to move my bikes into the house. It's not ideal. They brought dirt, mud and water into the main house... :(

As a result, my car now spend more time on the driveway while awaiting for the bikes and skis to dry off and get cleaned for their trip into the main house, clearing the way to pull the car into the garage.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Did some work on the garage yesterday. Main housing for my skis, garbage/recycling bins, pellets for stove, holiday stuff. We've one corner we need to go through and likely take a bunch of stuff to the dump. Goal is to park at least one car in there. I'd like to ultimately set up a tuning area for skis but I take ours to get done at the mountain since it's stupid cheap so no rush for that.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Got so hot here in Spokane the last few days, the electric garage opener stopped functioning on the East end. It was 105° yesterday. Suspect it was metal expansion on the chain. Down in the 80's today and everything is working fine again.
One car has been kicked out of the garage to make work space for finishing off the main floor projects in the house. Tomorrow the floor in the kitchen, eating area and bath get done. Then I mold, and touch up. Then the car gets its' house back.
The only good thing about the heat and smoke around the Redneck Hilton is the grapes. They are starting to darken and smoky years seem to give them a little different flavor.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The never ending story of our garage expansion continues to make (slow, almost plodding) progress.

Big steps last week: The cars are living in the expanded portion of the garage, interior and exterior electrical/lighting completed, all door openers are synched with their various controls, and gutters are up.

This week: Sidewalk gets poured, hose bib gets plumbed up, and brick trim completed.

Late August: Driveway gets re-paved. Hopefully my amateur stonemason ramps from the existing driveway down into the new garage hold up until then.

Closer, closer, closer. :golfclap:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
While my car does cost tens of thousands of dollar, so do my "stuff".

My "toys" - skis + bikes + kayaks (yes, all plural), add up to just as much.

More over, cars are made to withstand the element, some of my toys are not meant to be left out for extended period of time. Besides, my cars can't be picked up and walk away like my bikes and kayaks.

As my cars are getting bigger and take up more room in the garage, I'm forced to move my bikes into the house. It's not ideal. They brought dirt, mud and water into the main house... :(

As a result, my car now spend more time on the driveway while awaiting for the bikes and skis to dry off and get cleaned for their trip into the main house, clearing the way to pull the car into the garage.
I understand, because my power tools as in table saw, chop saw and several others have a fair amount of value. Maybe not as much as a vehicle but I would not want to have them even in a shed.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is this a trick question? 2 garage bays and 3 cars, means one car lives outside.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bob uses the garage for storage, a gazillion tools, and working on cars. He stores his Datsun Roadster and his motorcycle in there, and we can still squeeze in the Jeep Wrangler. I get to “visit” the garage if I’m waxing the skis. He gave me a little cupboard for ski waxing paraphernalia.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Is this a trick question? 2 garage bays and 3 cars, means one car lives outside.
Not necessarily, ours is about 55' long and 22' wide for over 1/2 of it doing 2 could easily get 3 in there. More than that means some of the wife's stuff has to go.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not necessarily, ours is about 55' long and 22' wide for over 1/2 of it doing 2 could easily get 3 in there. More than that means some of the wife's stuff has to go.

That, my friend, is what my dad would call a garage-mahal!

Time to invoke the forum's famous N+1 rule:
you should have N+1 number of garage bays, where N is the number of cars.

For garages, I like N+2: N is the number of cars, then one stall for storage/organization and one stall for an actual shop.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Time to invoke the forum's famous N+1 rule:
you should have N+1 number of garage bays, where N is the number of cars.

Sorry, this is flawed. The correct answer is always N+2 . You forgot the other part of the N+1 rule....if you have N vehicles you are looking to go to N+1 vehicles ......ogsmile

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've said in several threads that my dad is handy at doing just about anything ....except skiing.
He can fabricate some fine bootfitting tools though!

IMG_2769.JPG
23466BAA-9F0B-45CB-8C18-19EA01477BC7.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online