• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What does proper fit of the boot cuff feel like?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The fact it is not attached to the liner and is attached to the cuff on newer boots does not mean it is not an intrical part of liner. Probably the most successful racing boot has the strap on the liner and not the cuff. Theses photos of that boot show it is also on the liner.
View attachment 162387

View attachment 162388

View attachment 162389
Okay Francois. What you are showing here from 30 years ago is not what anyone else on the thread is talking about.
Edit: It matters because for every active poster here there are dozens or hundreds of silent readers who are just going to get confused if you start talking about a strap on the liner.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Okay Francois. What you are showing here from 30 years ago is not what anyone else on the thread is talking about.
Edit: It matters because for every active poster here there are dozens or hundreds of silent readers who are just going to get confused if you start talking about a strap on the liner.
I was only replying to your comment
The strap is not part of the liner.

that didn't have any time frame attached.

Sorry but I didn't get the "Francois" reference, do you care to clarify?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
FWIW _ I wear the Booster up high on just the tongue. Somehow it's pretty natural for it to go there. Buckles are quite loose, I'll buckle them one more click on race day or in cut up powder.

With students I think it depends on the skiers legs and the boots where it will work best. Sometimes it does need to go under the shell to take up some space I think.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Others might say that you don't need to put that much pressure on the front of the ski. It may have something to do with how you ski.

Right on the money.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Did you ever get the cuff’s aligned and the boots heat molded yet? Makes a big difference too and with my skinnier legs, I even added more thickness to the stock rear spoiler to get a bit more forward lean that I needed in my boots.
Not yet, still in my Cochise till year end. due to travel we will only have about 8 days left this season.

my wife had hers done and she is ecstatic about fit and flex

I can’t wait!

Last edited:

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Booster strap inside the shell will give quicker and progressive response from the boot. Strap outside the shell is better for those that goes balls to the wall - racing.
I’ll have to try this out And see if I can feel the difference.

I think it would drive me nuts to have to think about switching the strap around

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A Raichle??
You been writing copy for Bode’s schilling of Full Tilt? Oh wait, he’s with Scarpa now. Whaddya got there?
I guess he went with who was willing to pay him. Many of the best go to the highest bidder.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A Raichle??

Have a choccy ;)

I'm wondering if I can fashion something like a helmet google clip

Here is the Fischer clip design I referenced above.

IMG_20220310_100926.jpg

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Simple. If you ski from the bottom of your feet, inside the cuff. If you like to crush the boot cuff, outside.
It's not "simple."
I ski from the ball of the foot, and I run mine outside the shell. My daughter has the same boots, and likes hers inside the cuff.
There are no hard and fast rules for anything as variable as the leg to boot to ski to snow interaction.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
The only way the booster strap pushes your leg back is if before the boot was too lose on top.
The forward lean angle is set by the spine of the boot.
You are right. I am trying to remember my thoughts when I tried this experiment of booster over shell and tongue vs over just the tongue and under the shell. I recall that with it under the shell, the booster didn't allow the shell to flex in a gradual manner. Instead, it locked up the cuff and the shell buckled all at once with enough pressure applied. The cuff near the ankle is where the shell buckled. With the booster over the tongue & shell (half on the shell, half on the tongue), the cuff hinged forward first then buckled later. I guess it allowed the liner and shell parts to slide a bit on each other. It seemed to me that the booster over the shell/tongue would behave more predictably. With booster under the shell, buckling of the lower shell did not always start in the same place and my shin would track in slightly different directions each time (not tracking directly forward, but often bowing in or out instead).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not "simple."
I ski from the ball of the foot, and I run mine outside the shell. My daughter has the same boots, and likes hers inside the cuff.
There are no hard and fast rules for anything as variable as the leg to boot to ski to snow interaction.

Of course it is simple. Don't like it inside (or outside), do it up the other way. Not exactly rocket surgery.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
That's like saying, i ski in the back seat, so that's the way l should ski.

@KingGrump

Not really Rod. As grump noted there are 2 primary options. In or out. People should try both, determine which is better for each person and roll with it. both offer better ’feel’ than the usual Velcro straps. During the boot fit, the fitter may even suggest that ‘in’ is better based on the boot-liner-leg fit. I know some that go from in to out depending on the snow conditions.

this isn’t some radial tune. It’s a stretchy strap. In or out, to each their own. long live the SX boot.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@KingGrump

Not really Rod. As grump noted there are 2 primary options. In or out. People should try both, determine which is better for each person and roll with it. both offer better ’feel’ than the usual Velcro straps. During the boot fit, the fitter may even suggest that ‘in’ is better based on the boot-liner-leg fit. I know some that go from in to out depending on the snow conditions.

this isn’t some radial tune. It’s a stretchy strap. In or out, to each their own. long live the SX boot.
That's assuming that"people" are able to determine what's best for them.

Based on how most people ski, this is doubtful.