• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What does "releasing the tail" mean?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Now imagine knowing how to ski SCXs and being given a demo Dynastar Max Zero. :geek: :geek: I'm starting to think that peoples' experience with S and SCX scared the design team.

#notailthere
#notmuchofanythingelseeither

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember when they came out. I took my demo pair right to Hunter and on my first run if I could have taken them off and taking the ft down I would have. We then went to Sugarbush with Elan and were shown how to ski them by Bill Irwin and Geoff Bruce. When that light bulb went off...skiing changed forever.
I could not have said it better! Those SCX's needed to come w/ lessons but once you learned them, there was no going back.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Still wondering about this two years later.
Don't be coy.

I'm not. It has been referenced a fair bit elsewhere including by @onenerdykid on Blister's deep dive into boots podcast.

In analogy terms think of a kitchen knife. There's gobs of blade profiles available from classic chef to santoku but every blade profile will feel completely different if you change the tilt of the handle with respect to the blade back. Or think of a snow shovel handle. Or wheelbarrow handles. Or any other class-3 lever - the shape of the 'handle' is always a prime factor in the feel of the working portion.

The boot spine is the 'handle' that controls tail pressure and tail feel. In the knife analogy, increasing a boot's forward lean would be analogous to tilting the knife handle so that the little finger is closer to the cutting board.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The boot spine is the 'handle' that controls tail pressure and tail feel. In the knife analogy, increasing a boot's forward lean would be analogous to tilting the knife handle so that the little finger is closer to the cutting board.
Assuming the knife holder is right handed I suppose.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Assuming the knife holder is right handed I suppose.

Like skis, most knives (kitchen) are ambidextrous. Elan We'll leave Elan out of the "most".

Knives like skis are at the sharp end of a action chain that comprises of many factors. Some of the factors are physical and visible. Some are skill set based and nebulous. And then there are personal preferences.

Since we are talking about knives and their physical attributes. I have attached couple pics of chef knives in my knife block for reference. the differences in profile is only the beginning. Threw in couple slightly odd ball ones for contrast.

Look them over and think about the relationship between profile and function. We can get back to skis and boot in a few.

1657238078105.jpeg

1657237685797.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I see a new thread a-borning.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Not just turned up or not, It’s shape plus rocker plus turn up.
Slalom skis have their tail slightly turned up You can ski switch with them. I’m not sure there’s a ski made with no slightly up turned tail.

View attachment 115248
<tip to tail>
I tried to ski a Shaggy's 80mm last year on some hard snow at their home mountain (Boyne in MI). Looking for an edgier replacement for my beloved Enforcer 93s. Loved the edge grip. Hated the flat tail. I had uncomfortable sensations of the inside ski hanging up as I tipped it toward the little toe side to start a turn.

James

Out There
Instructor
For that stale Jello snow that started the problem for the OP, likely the cleaver was his solution-
D9E2AD82-92DF-48D3-8F65-EA0BB50DF4EA.jpeg

Or a Deba-
9751B18A-FF49-49A9-BB39-2301B10828E7.jpeg

But let’s face it, in that trash Jello snow, the best solution for a releasable heel is likely the Ulu knife.

DA642A55-DC97-43C1-A27F-8911F315F985.jpeg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For that stale Jello snow that started the problem for the OP, likely the cleaver was his solution-
View attachment 172958

Or a Deba-
View attachment 172959

But let’s face it, in that trash Jello snow, the best solution for a releasable heel is likely the Ulu knife.

View attachment 172960

Surprisingly, the "cleaver" you highlighted is one of the most versatile knife design out there. Needs a little skill and understanding to get the most out of it. It may look like a 116 wide ski for powder days but it can also slice and dice the groomers like a good all mountain 88.
That specific knife is made by Dexter Russel in stainless steel for the American restaurant market. Standard issue for Chinese American restaurants for the past 60 years. Literally indestructible in normal usage. That type of knife is known as vegetable knife in Chinese. Not for hacking at bones. That knife will plow through cases and cases of vegetable without any strain in the hand. Pretty decent processing meat also. Still my go to when I am doing heavy prep. A more refined but more delicate example of this knife would be a CCK KF1303.
Here is a video on what this type of knife can do with some skill.

The Deba is more of a fish breakdown knife. Not well suited for prep. All the knives in my pics are for general prep.

The Ulu is interesting. Probably great for breaking down whales and seals. Definitely not for general prep. Think center mounted free style skis. Spins well but...

Sponsor

Staff online