• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What Happened to Three-Quarter Zip Jerseys?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Nevertheless I definitely learned some things.

Well, turns out there's more.

First, sleeves. Silicone aero sleeves that look like aero socks and fit like aero socks are a thing now. (Aero socks have been a thing for a long time now).

Second, 'raw' edge finish, that fits completely flat against your skin, is a thing now. And it's pretty durn durable as they use silicone gripper impregnation to keep everything intact - just like with aero socks.

Third, using gripper impregnation at the ends of all stitched seams is a thing now. Fight the fight - without the fray :D

Fourth - and most important! - zip all modern zippers all the way up before washing the jersey! That includes the rear pocket zips!

I was so hoping someone would.

I just thought you were making a joke about the existing lingerie brand.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One pro tip with the aero sleeves and raw-cut leg grippers: hand wash these things! If your modern washing machine has a hand wash cycle that'll do, but anything more harsh will often cause these awesome features to distort and work less well.

The folks from The Black Bibs (i.e. Starlight Custom Apparel) advise to hand wash all of their garments. I'm a big fan of their tall-cut bib shorts (they fit better than anything I've ever owned) and hand washing them, while a tad more tedious, has kept them looking sharp and fitting well for multiple seasons. My first aero sleeve/raw-cut leg kit was machine washed a few times (sadly my available machine has no hand wash cycle) and the grippers and sleeves now roll outward. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this.

With regard to full-zip jerseys - or anything with a zipper - that's sage advice to fully zip before washing. Also, if you can machine wash these garments, wash them inside out as it'll preserve the visible side of things.

And whatever you do: always hang dry your bike kit! Tumble drying (even on low or no heat) will wear out the elastic in the garment, shortening its useful life.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One pro tip with the aero sleeves and raw-cut leg grippers: hand wash these things! If your modern washing machine has a hand wash cycle that'll do, but anything more harsh will often cause these awesome features to distort and work less well.

The folks from The Black Bibs (i.e. Starlight Custom Apparel) advise to hand wash all of their garments. I'm a big fan of their tall-cut bib shorts (they fit better than anything I've ever owned) and hand washing them, while a tad more tedious, has kept them looking sharp and fitting well for multiple seasons. My first aero sleeve/raw-cut leg kit was machine washed a few times (sadly my available machine has no hand wash cycle) and the grippers and sleeves now roll outward. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this.

With regard to full-zip jerseys - or anything with a zipper - that's sage advice to fully zip before washing. Also, if you can machine wash these garments, wash them inside out as it'll preserve the visible size of things.

And whatever you do: always hang dry your bike kit! Tumble drying (even on low or no heat) will wear out the elastic in the garment, shortening its useful life.
Hang dry I'm good with. Hand washing, not happening. I have a life.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Do you have a modern HE washing machine? Chances are it has a hand wash cycle.

As I live in an apartment building with coin-operated laundry, the industrial machines don't do hand wash. Also: it saves money to hand wash the cycling kit that requires it. I find that it doesn't take too long to do, to be honest.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
It’s been a while since I’ve tried riding “no hands”. My recollection is that the front wheel gets squirrelly as if there isn’t enough weight on it?

I can ride all day one handed or in various positions... sitting up on a road bike With fingers just draped on the bars. I’ll have to try it again in the coming days.

The type of bike seems to make a difference... I’ve seen kids on BMX type bikes dribbling a basketball while chatting on the phone while riding.:eek: So I figure I’m either a klutz or I’mjust not a very good bike handler.:(
For sure the front of the bike gets a little squirelly, but it can be manageable.

I've taken off a jersey that was not full zip by pulling it over my head. This was riding alone and as the jersey was going over my face I got scared and thought "this is a little stupid." But no problems.

I've taken an undershirt off *in a race* - took off the full zip jersey, handed it to a teammate, then pulled the undershirt over my head (which went fast because it was really stretchy). Tucked that into the side of my shorts, got the jersey back on, then move the undershirt to a jersey pocket. Straight flat road. The look on the face of a friend helping us in the feedzone as I threw them the undershirt was memorable. Also, in the hecticness of the exercise I forgot to pull up one of my bib straps, but decided to let that go by just tucking it up under my jersey - my shorts stayed up OK. I would not wish to do this often, and certainly not without the jersey being full-zip.

I also once saw a guy grab two bottles in a feed zone - one with each hand. It was less crazy than it sounds.

Last time I rode rollers (decades ago) I did it too.

These were on racing bikes set up properly. I'm average height and the guy that did the double bottle thing was perhaps a little taller but much above men's average.

I don't think everyone should be riding around no-handed, and some people just can't, but if you have a good bike and want to test skill, it's worth trying. Also, remember that the higher the speed, the more stable the bike is .

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For sure the front of the bike gets a little squirelly, but it can be manageable.

I've taken off a jersey that was not full zip by pulling it over my head. This was riding alone and as the jersey was going over my face I got scared and thought "this is a little stupid." But no problems.

I've taken an undershirt off *in a race* - took off the full zip jersey, handed it to a teammate, then pulled the undershirt over my head (which went fast because it was really stretchy). Tucked that into the side of my shorts, got the jersey back on, then move the undershirt to a jersey pocket. Straight flat road. The look on the face of a friend helping us in the feedzone as I threw them the undershirt was memorable. Also, in the hecticness of the exercise I forgot to pull up one of my bib straps, but decided to let that go by just tucking it up under my jersey - my shorts stayed up OK. I would not wish to do this often, and certainly not without the jersey being full-zip.

I also once saw a guy grab two bottles in a feed zone - one with each hand. It was less crazy than it sounds.

These were on racing bikes set up properly. I'm average height and the guy that did the double bottle thing was perhaps a little taller but much above men's average.

I don't think everyone should be riding around no-handed, and some people just can't, but if you have a good bike and want to test skill, it's worth trying. Also, remember that the higher the speed, the more stable the bike is .
@Wending is always taking photos while riding no-hands. It's a non-event for her. So ... basically ... practice.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Use a mesh lingerie wash bag.
There's a special kind of wash bag for mesh lingerie? The degree of specialization in today's everyday household life continues to astound me.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@Wending is always taking photos while riding no-hands. It's a non-event for her. So ... basically ... practice.

And, particularly on used bikes, check that the fork has the right amount of offset for the intended wheel flop/geometric trail balance. Replacement forks with the wrong rake and offset are the second easiest way to get a bike that won't steer straight hands-free.

The easiest way to get a bike that won't steer straight hands-free is to crumple, bend or distort the underside of the downtube - generally by smashing the bike into things. Like garages, if the bike is on the roof.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
There's a special kind of wash bag for mesh lingerie? The degree of specialization in today's everyday household life continues to astound me.

I use the mesh bags that intuition liners ship in.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

Pretty nifty skills... Many years ago I was riding with my friend Dawn on Virginia's Skyline Drive. It was Fall, so the descents were chilly but the climbs were roasting.

I just had arm warmers and I'd pull them down to my wrist as we started up and I'd pull over real quick going over the top to pull them back up.

Dawn, on the other hand, would ride no hands on the descent and casually fish her windbreaker from a jersey pocket and zip it up, etc. Same thing in reverse at the bottom -- just sit up, take the jacket off, fold it up, stuff it in her pocket, etc.. I was in awe.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Don't hand wash them. Foot wash them.

Put them on the floor of your shower. Step gently on them as you shower. This will work the body wash into the fabric as you shower yourself. Rinse and gently wring them out before stepping out. Hang to dry. Optional: roll them up in a towel to get the extra water out.

Life preserved.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty nifty skills... Many years ago I was riding with my friend Dawn on Virginia's Skyline Drive. It was Fall, so the descents were chilly but the climbs were roasting.

I just had arm warmers and I'd pull them down to my wrist as we started up and I'd pull over real quick going over the top to pull them back up.

Dawn, on the other hand, would ride no hands on the descent and casually fish her windbreaker from a jersey pocket and zip it up, etc. Same thing in reverse at the bottom -- just sit up, take the jacket off, fold it up, stuff it in her pocket, etc.. I was in awe.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't hand wash them. Foot wash them.

Put them on the floor of your shower. Step gently on them as you shower. This will work the body wash into the fabric as you shower yourself. Rinse and gently wring them out before stepping out. Hang to dry. Optional: roll them up in a towel to get the extra water out.

Life preserved.
So, this is not something I'd be doing like once a month. It would be three times a week. And then there is herself and HER gear. So no. I'm good with my washer on delicate, let the chips fall where they may.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
<- Totally doesn't need the image of @Tony S playing grape stomp lady. Particularly not if he's also shaving his legs.
Right.

(Note: No shaving until I get skinny and fast again. In the unlikely event that that happens. And maybe not even then. PITA. And no, I'm not buying the "it will make you faster" argument. Jacques Anquetil reportedly downed a water bottle full of champagne during the TdF. I'm not doing that either.)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
(Note: No shaving until I get skinny and fast again. In the unlikely event that that happens. And maybe not even then. PITA. And no, I'm not buying the "it will make you faster" argument. Jacques Anquetil reportedly downed a water bottle full of champagne during the TdF. I'm not doing that either.)

Not the most memorable personal detail about Anquetil - but you may not be wishing to do the detail I'm thinking of either :D