• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is the new Bushwacker? 2024 Rustler 9

snoroqc

Getting on the lift
Skier
My 2014 180cm Buchwacker getting old. Il would like a similar ski. This ski is just pure fun to ski everywhere. Moguls, trees, quick edge to edge, decent edge hold, good in slow speed with the kids. Because I only ski naturel snow and I own (several other skis**). I choose the Buchwacker over the Brahma.

The 2024, rustler seem to fit the bill...

*Racetiger sc
Head Kore 87
Head Kore 99 (with shift).
Fat 109 atomic.

gratedwasabi

Getting on the lift
Skier
It sounds like the Rustler 9 is great for you. I'd demo it against the Qst98, which I personally liked better than the Rustler series.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would demo the Rustler 9 first. I owned them, and felt they were all around pretty good skis. But they really really preferred to turn on at their midsized sidecut. If I tried to open them up and arc into more of a giant slalom turn, they had a tendency to sometimes hook and whip into their natural curve.

And sometimes it felt like I had to push them like crazy to get them to turn tighter.

This is a characteristic of the Rustler 9 that I expressed independently for a while before discovering the Blister review noted the same thing.

Of course ymmv, lots of people like these skis and don't seem to suffer the same issue.

For what it's worth, I'm shopping a similar market segment and for now I'm going to try the Mindbender 89ti and the Volkl Kendo.

The Mindbender 90C, as I understand it, is a surfier, bendier and bit lighter option to the two above, that lacks a little of the absolute edge hold, but still stays damp and stable? It's what I've been reading anyway

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
My 2014 180cm Buchwacker getting old. Il would like a similar ski. This ski is just pure fun to ski everywhere. Moguls, trees, quick edge to edge, decent edge hold, good in slow speed with the kids. Because I only ski naturel snow and I own (several other skis**). I choose the Buchwacker over the Brahma.

The 2024, rustler seem to fit the bill...

*Racetiger sc
Head Kore 87
Head Kore 99 (with shift).
Fat 109 atomic.
If you can ski a 173 BW, there's a used 14 or 15 on sale at eBay

TS
snoroqc

snoroqc

Getting on the lift
Skier
I would demo the Rustler 9 first. I owned them, and felt they were all around pretty good skis. But they really really preferred to turn on at their midsized sidecut. If I tried to open them up and arc into more of a giant slalom turn, they had a tendency to sometimes hook and whip into their natural curve.

And sometimes it felt like I had to push them like crazy to get them to turn tighter.

This is a characteristic of the Rustler 9 that I expressed independently for a while before discovering the Blister review noted the same thing.

Of course ymmv, lots of people like these skis and don't seem to suffer the same issue.
2024 is an update version of the Rustler. The flex of the shower and tail are more... Progressive than previous version (according to the review). I also like to vary from short term and long carving/Giant slalom turn.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

For what it's worth, I'm shopping a similar market segment and for now I'm going to try the Mindbender 89ti and the Volkl Kendo.

The Mindbender 90C, as I understand it, is a surfier, bendier and bit lighter option to the two above, that lacks a little of the absolute edge hold, but still stays damp and stable? It's what I've been reading anyway

The 23-24 Rustler is a different ski... perimeter metal on the topsheet... better edge grip, still pivot-y, and was easily able to trench on firmish old snow on a 180 which is a length too short. Was the surprise ski of the test. Skied some crappy hard bumps on them as well... no issues.

Last edited:
TS
snoroqc

snoroqc

Getting on the lift
Skier
The 23-24 Rustler is a different ski... perimeter metal on the topsheet... better edge grip, still pivot-y, and was easily able to trench on firmish old snow on a 180 which is a length too short. Was the surprise ski of the test. Skied some crappy hard bumps on them as well... no issues.
Is the 23-24 feel short? I'm 5'9'' 175lbs.im on 180 buchwacker, Head Kore 180, 182 for the fat ski.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I
Is the 23-24 feel short? I'm 5'9'' 175lbs.im on 180 buchwacker, Head Kore 180, 182 for the fat ski.
Think the 180 would be your ski. Im 5'11" 205, so the 180 does feel short for me, but it's fun.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I recall, the Bushwacker was part of a lineup that included the Rustler. So in theory, different than the Rustler. Some reviews described it as a non-metal version of the Brahma.

Trended toward the finesse end of the the SkiTalk power scale vs. the Rustler
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2020-blizzard-bushwacker.17482/

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Some reviews described it as a non-metal version of the Brahma.
That's exactly what it was. Same tip/waist/tail/radius as Brahma at the time, but all wood and no metal (which the Brahma had). After it was discontinued, it came back as "Brahma CA" briefly for 2018 and than again with the original "Bushwacker" name for 2019-2020.

I still have my old 2013 Bushwacker with the great bull graphics (though it has not been on snow in many years now). Great ski in trees and bumps. I got some foot deep powder days on it too.

bushwacker_flat_2012-2013jpg~3.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are some lighter 88-90mm skis that are more Bushwacker like....
Elan Ripstick 88
4FRNT MSP 91
Fischer Ranger 90
Armada Declivity 88
Volkl Blaze 86
K2 Mindbender 90C

If you want a premium feel...
Lusti CWR87
Stockli Stormrider 88

Hit our Ski Selector at the top of the page and look for skis on the finesse side of the scale.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are some lighter 88-90mm skis that are more Bushwacker like....
Elan Ripstick 88
4FRNT MSP 91
Fischer Ranger 90
Armada Declivity 88
Volkl Blaze 86
K2 Mindbender 90C

If you want a premium feel...
Lusti CWR87
Stockli Stormrider 88

Hit our Ski Selector at the top of the page and look for skis on the finesse side of the scale.
@Philpug , of those top 6 skis along with the bushwacker, could you rank which ones are the most "on-piste" oriented to "off-piste" oriented? Thanks!!

TS
snoroqc

snoroqc

Getting on the lift
Skier
That's exactly what it was. Same tip/waist/tail/radius as Brahma at the time, but all wood and no metal (which the Brahma had). After it was discontinued, it came back as "Brahma CA" briefly for 2018 and than again with the original "Bushwacker" name for 2019-2020.

I still have my old 2013 Bushwacker with the great bull graphics (though it has not been on snow in many years now). Great ski in trees and bumps. I got some foot deep powder days on it too.

View attachment 191332
Imo, that was the golden age of blizzard ski graphics. Girlfriend own the same Bull graphic (Black Pearl).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug , of those top 6 skis along with the bushwacker, could you rank which ones are the most "on-piste" oriented to "off-piste" oriented? Thanks!!
Honestly, none are more that 60/40 either way and all are really good and you would be happy with any of then coming from the Bushwacker.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly, none are more that 60/40 either way and all are really good and you would be happy with any of then coming from the Bushwacker.
Thanks, I was also reading about the Armada Declivity 92ti. Is this much stiffer than the Declivity 88?

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
As I recall, the Bushwacker was part of a lineup that included the Rustler. So in theory, different than the Rustler. Some reviews described it as a non-metal version of the Brahma.

Trended toward the finesse end of the the SkiTalk power scale vs. the Rustler
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2020-blizzard-bushwacker.17482/

I am skiing the current version of the Rustler 9. I am a high-level skier (though old at 68) I am currently at Mammoth, my 2nd week long trip with them. I bought them because I wanted a ski that wouldn't encourage me to ski any faster than I do now, 35-45 mph occasional a burst into the 50's. The Rustler skis slow when I want and I haven't found the speed limit yet when I want to ski fast. I am off trail about 50-60% of the time. More when conditions warrant. It does have metal, but not in tips or tails where the metal layer tapers off. So far I am liking it! I will be interested in trying out the new version to see if they improved or ruined! LOL

Rick G

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I am skiing the current version of the Rustler 9. I am a high-level skier (though old at 68) I am currently at Mammoth, my 2nd week long trip with them. I bought them because I wanted a ski that wouldn't encourage me to ski any faster than I do now, 35-45 mph occasional a burst into the 50's. The Rustler skis slow when I want and I haven't found the speed limit yet when I want to ski fast. I am off trail about 50-60% of the time. More when conditions warrant. It does have metal, but not in tips or tails where the metal layer tapers off. So far I am liking it! I will be interested in trying out the new version to see if they improved or ruined! LOL

Rick G

I think you'll enjoy them alot!

TS
snoroqc

snoroqc

Getting on the lift
Skier
I finally bought a 177 Volkl Mantra M6. Iknowwwww this is at the other side of the spectrum VS Rustler... But. I demoed it last year and in French we say "une main de fer dans un gant de velour" an iron hand in a velvet glove.
Too good deal to pass on 440can$ (325usd).
PXL_20230209_184200395.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online