• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Xplore S gloves that I can't wear unless it is really cold. They are very warm and have a pouch for a chemical heat pack. If that doesn't work LEKI has the Xplor S Mitt. I would imagine they're even warmer.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Xplore S gloves that I can't wear unless it is really cold. They are very warm and have a pouch for a chemical heat pack. If that doesn't work LEKI has the Xplor S Mitt. I would imagine they're even warmer.

How is the dexterity, Andy?

And sizing?

And can I cut the trigger thingy off easily?

I just love how my Fission Whatever gloves feel like I'm wearing almost nothing in terms of flexibility, but I can't find them anymore.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How is the dexterity, Andy?

And sizing?

And can I cut the trigger thingy off easily?

I just love how my Fission Whatever gloves feel like I'm wearing almost nothing in terms of flexibility, but I can't find them anymore.
Dexterity is not great but fine for hanging on to a ski pole. They are somewhat bulky but warm. I wear a 10 in LEKI's spring glove and got a 10 in the Xplore S. I thought it was too big at first but I think it's just more glove than I'm used to wearing. You can cut the trigger loop off easily but I don't think you'd be bothered by it left on. I'd take a photo of them but @Stephen is using them because his hands have an ice machine in them. :D Maybe he'll chime in with how warm they are for a person who has cold hands. I was wearing my spring gloves on a day he was wearing the Xplore and I think he was still a bit chilly.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear a 10 in LEKI's spring glove and got a 10 in the Xplore S.

For reference, are you typically in a L or XL glove that uses that sizing scale?

Thanks for all the input.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For reference, are you typically in a L or XL glove that uses that sizing scale?

Thanks for all the input.
I usually use an XL but some a L will work. It's more about if I can get my hand through the cuff on some work gloves. I need an XL to get in but a L will suffice once on.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually use an XL but some a L will work. It's more about if I can get my hand through the cuff on some work gloves. I need an XL to get in but a L will suffice once on.

I'm usually right between XL and 2XL. Funny thing is that some vendors sell these by numerical size, and others by XL, etc.

The LEKI Store, through amazon (ugh) offers free returns so I may order both.

James

Out There
Instructor
I ordered these Reusch gloves on a lark last summer because they were cheap. So far this year I’m pretty surprised by the warmth for such a light glove. I've usually had the vent open.

This is not a super warm glove, but based on these, I would look at Reusch’s warm models. Whatever thry’re doing, it works.
Got size 10, fits well with enough space. I usually use 10 in Hestra, but those are often tight. I measure 9 in palm, 8 1/4 finger.

Only size 10 left.

For $45 these are warmer/better/lighter than those Wells Lamont leather ones for that price. Those got relegated to snow blowing.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My local hill (in Iowa) is 300' about 45mintes away. old slow lifts, so spend most of the time on the chairlift. Occasional excursions to MN and WI. and then normally one big trip out west - generally CO.

When it's really cold try skiing bumps instead of groomers. It'll slow you down so the wind isn't so cold, and it'll make you work harder which helps to warm the body, hands included.
Bumps in the Midwest, good luck finding those! Suggesting that is just rubbing in in @Posaune !

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cold hands? Try some beaver mittens. @Slim , these are made in your home town (Duluth, MN). Thanks (sorry, forgot your name) from Sturgeon Lake, MN! Fun fact, my grandparents lived in Sturgeon Lake and I spend my summers as a kid on Sand Lake, which is just up the road. It's cool who you meet out skiing.

IMG_0862.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
^omg!
They look pretty warm. Not sure they’ll fit through any pole strap.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^omg!
Under the fur are loops for Lekis. :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
Under the fur are loops for Lekis. :roflmao:
Ok, if I was rocking Beaver Fur Mitts, I might want them to sew in the LEKI strap. But I fear it’s so small they couldn’t handle it. So, I actually could see using that system.

20yrs ago, I worked in the Furrier Building in Nyc. You used to see guys wheeling pelts down the street.
Prob been turned into condos, like lots of the buildings in Hell’s Kitchen, which is only hellish now for rent.

hudskis

Booting up
Skier
oh, something I didn't mention was the help from folks that posted their experience with the PrimaLoft liners, extremely valuable!

Positive comments are good, but the negative were key to in my selection. The more posts I read that said "... just to warm ..." peaked my interest more.

As the old saying goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure" ;)

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
oh, something I didn't mention was the help from folks that posted their experience with the PrimaLoft liners, extremely valuable!

Positive comments are good, but the negative were key to in my selection. The more posts I read that said "... just to warm ..." peaked my interest more.

As the old saying goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure" ;)

Could you post a link to the actual liners you went for in the end. I am curious as my wife suffers from cold fingers and I am deciding what to experiment with for her next.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
^omg!
Compromise with beaver fur inserts for your regular mitts?

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Dexterity is not great but fine for hanging on to a ski pole. They are somewhat bulky but warm. I wear a 10 in LEKI's spring glove and got a 10 in the Xplore S. I thought it was too big at first but I think it's just more glove than I'm used to wearing. You can cut the trigger loop off easily but I don't think you'd be bothered by it left on. I'd take a photo of them but @Stephen is using them because his hands have an ice machine in them. :D Maybe he'll chime in with how warm they are for a person who has cold hands. I was wearing my spring gloves on a day he was wearing the Xplore and I think he was still a bit chilly.
88EBEF84-2942-47F9-B341-59EC12244E60.jpeg
Here is a pic of Andy’s gloves that I am borrowing(the red lekis) along with some of my others. The red Lekis do a good job of keeping my hands warm but on really cold windy days I still want something warmer. The FlyLow mittens are fairly warm and budget friendly. I’m still leaning towards getting the women’s LEKI Glacé mitten for super cold days. Just haven’t pulled the LEKI “trigger” on them yet :)
As far as dexterity, hopefully the picture helps a bit.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lord knows how much I’ve spent on gloves, mittens, liners, shells for both myself and my wife. I finally broke down at last season’s spring sales and got my wife some Therm-IC mittens, and me Lenz 6.0 socks ( my cold hand problem is not that bad, but cold toes certainly are ). Shoulda’ embraced heated solutions sooner.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I literally get laughed out of the house due to my glove collection. Regardless - I always end up in the Hestra Vertical Cut gloves unless it’s Spring. Yes, have the heli’s (with a wool liner too) <- wind cuts right through seams.

I have a >1 ape index and my hands are cold sitting inside right now. I’ve gotten used to it (grew up duck/goose hunting in MD when it used to be cold). Feet too. For some reason my hands sweat in gloves…..a lot. So……I sometimes will carry a wear thin merino liner and take the Hestra’s I bought one size too big. Last resort - put my gloves under the hand dryer at a bathroom break. < usually good for at least an hour or so. Otherwise I just don’t think about my fingers or feet.

the lady has heated Hesta mitt and no longer wears a liner with the hand warmers in the little pocket. Too ”fiddley” for me - but she likes them and they seem to work.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After a few (or several) false starts, I stumbled into these REI-branded gloves, They are warm with great dexterity and retail for a very reasonable $80 ($60 with the member's $20 coupon floating around).

After 5 days in them, I bought a second pair, so I don't have to go through this again, 3 years from now.

NOTE: IMO, they run true to size.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink