• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What level of helmet thwack should retire a helmet?

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Philpug recently posted an article "A huge dump day ... or how I learned to love my Giro Tor and MIPS Spherical Helmet" where his helmet clearly took a really big hit and sensibly he retired it.

Today, I was skiing a steep but previously groomed black with a load of brand new but somewhat heavy snow on top. I had noticed that it was requiring more effort than usual to turn. Then one moment I was skiing, the next I had left one ski driverless up the hill and flew forward landing who knows how (somewhat forward, but it's all a bit unclear) and heard a fair thwack as my helmet hit the snow. The subsequent moment I'm lying on the ground, absent one pole and one ski wondering quite what the <beep> just happened. [Side note: two snowboarders delivered my errant pole and ski, exhorting me that not all snowboarders are evil - I had to agree :)].

While I got up and recovered, I have to say that my normal self-confidence had gone AWOL and I retired for the day at that stage.

Nonetheless, I wonder what level of thwack ought to be regarded as a helmet retirement thwack. I doubt that there are any definitives (other than a recommendation from the manufacturers no doubt that if you drop the helmet from 1 inch onto soft snow you should replace it). Any thoughts, Skitalkers?

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
A thwack from a stout tree branch that was hand-cut near the trunk of a tree at familiar traverse dented my helmet. I was totally surprised and stopped to look behind me. I had a headache immediately after I struck the branch, but it went away after a minute of so. Later that morning, I stopped for a coffee and a patroller commented on my helmet. I had not idea that I had dented and cracked the helmet. I was alone, and without a helmet, it’s not clear about the outcome. I did replace my helmet.

. 428415B3-70A0-4FF6-B45D-78FD02505D32.jpeg

Last edited:

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
It depends on the helmet. Your paperwork should tell you when to retire it. It might be a one hit wonder. In any event, buying a new quality helmet would not be a bad decision if you so choose.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
@Philpug recently posted an article "A huge dump day ... or how I learned to love my Giro Tor and MIPS Spherical Helmet" where his helmet clearly took a really big hit and sensibly he retired it.
While I got up and recovered, I have to say that my normal self-confidence had gone AWOL and I retired for the day at that stage.

Nonetheless, I wonder what level of thwack ought to be regarded as a helmet retirement thwack. I doubt that there are any definitives (other than a recommendation from the manufacturers no doubt that if you drop the helmet from 1 inch onto soft snow you should replace it). Any thoughts, Skitalkers?
Any thwack to the head that would cause me to retire for the day would cause me to get a new helmet (unless the thwack was to the face and goggles and not the helmet).

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Today, I was skiing a steep but previously groomed black with a load of brand new but somewhat heavy snow on top. I had noticed that it was requiring more effort than usual to turn. Then one moment I was skiing, the next I had left one ski driverless up the hill and flew forward landing who knows how (somewhat forward, but it's all a bit unclear) and heard a fair thwack as my helmet hit the snow. The subsequent moment I'm lying on the ground, absent one pole and one ski wondering quite what the <beep> just happened. [Side note: two snowboarders delivered my errant pole and ski, exhorting me that not all snowboarders are evil - I had to agree :)].

Your confidence has been shattered. To restore it, buy a new helmet. ;)

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I tend to let it go if it's a slow-speed fall into deep powder, or if I'm absolutely sure that my head didn't hit the ground. If there's any doubt, though – I feel like it's worth the money to have the peace of mind that I have a working helmet. I had one that got mildly crunched a couple of times, and then one day I heard it kinda squeaking on my head & I discovered that the last small impact had split the foam clean in half, with the shell still completely unblemished, which was a pretty solid jump scare. After that, I started buying cheaper helmets and just tossing them the second I had any misgivings.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
It depends on the helmet. Your paperwork should tell you when to retire it. It might be a one hit wonder. In any event, buying a new quality helmet would not be a bad decision if you so choose.
I retired the helmet and it’s good role modeling. I totally thwacked my helmet on the cut-off branch. I did not fall and was a bit curious about the cause of the dent, and continued to ski.

Last edited:

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
From what you're saying, how you felt when you got back up...I'd replace the helmet.

I would think your safety is worth more than the cost of a new helmet, yes they are on season end sales now.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
The phrase "my normal self-confidence had gone AWO" suggests to me that the OP stopping had nothing to do with a head impact but rather what was going on in their head.

I dialed it back radically for a day and the next day a few weeks ago after almost pulling my groin. Was rather freaked out so just skied real easy. Didn't hit my head.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's time to retire your helmet when your wife guides you off the hill and you don't know where you are. True story. It's time to retire your helmet when you wake up in the ER with 5 hours of your life missing. Also a true story.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the outer skin of the helmet shows impact damage (as seen above), it might be a good time to replace. I hit the deck last month with the back of my head hitting hardpack, my neck cracking made more noise than my head hitting the snow lol I thought I was going to have serious pain or worse. Nothing came of it and the helmet looks fine. YMMV...

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
I actually got a concussion this past Friday. It was hard enough for me to hear "crunching" sounds. I literally got up mid-slide and went on my way without stopping at all and went right to the lift and did a couple of more laps.

I almost see nothing wrong with the helmet outside, maybe a slight scratch where I think the impact occurred; most people would think it's just wear or baggage handling.

No foam compressions as I can tell looking at the helmet while peeling back the padding.

I couldn't do any leg raises at the gym today, not even one. My abs are toast and my neck hurts. My helmet absolutely got used and I'm using my backup helmet atm while I shop.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I actually got a concussion this past Friday. It was hard enough for me to hear "crunching" sounds. I literally got up mid-slide and went on my way without stopping at all and went right to the lift and did a couple of more laps.

I almost see nothing wrong with the helmet outside, maybe a slight scratch where I think the impact occurred; most people would think it's just wear or baggage handling.

No foam compressions as I can tell looking at the helmet while peeling back the padding.

I couldn't do any leg raises at the gym today, not even one. My abs are toast and my neck hurts. My helmet absolutely got used and I'm using my backup helmet atm while I shop.
Most helmets (NOT ALL) protect via a Styrofoam layer that compresses ONCE, like those Styrofoam coolers they sell for cheap in the grocery stores. It's hard to tell if the foam is compressed without cutting the helmet in half and measuring a cross-section. If you do that you will need a new helmet anyway. Just think how hard you would need to head but a piece of that Styrofoam against a brick wall to compress it|.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hit my head, not hard, in my fall that damaged my leg.

Helmet may not be damaged, but it was a good excuse to finally buy a new MIPS helmet.

Sponsor

Staff online