• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What Purpose(s) do(es) a White Pass Turn Serve?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm. So 120 is not 270 :geek: and 180 is not 360 :rolleyes: These degrees are funny... :huh:

Still - from your gifs, there's a big diff between those two turns - in the first he had less counter in transition, so more rotation is a must... in the second one, watch the hips - which don't change much in direction while the skis turn... let me see if I get this right: 56*(90-5+fudgefactor/56) = 82 degrees...and then another 38 degrees or more... or less...

:beercheer:

The point I was trying to make with the faulty math was that nothing happens in isolation in skiing: the top of the turn is not disconnected from the rest of the turn, so when we qualify "rotation", it must be put in the context of the entire turn... or set of turns, as no turn happens in isolation either... also for instance in bumps, the top of the turn is so quick, I dare someone lesser than WC level to say "I will intentionally rotate the mass of my entire upper body exactly 20 degrees during these 200 milliseconds, strongly and then stop and not rotate them anymore not even one millimeter. I am confident that I can accelerate my hips and shoulders to turn precisely that much within that time frame, even though I have no contact with the snow to push against and I am very capable to stop them instantly afterward, with no impact to the bottom of that turn or the next turn. Signed in front of witnesses, Joe Doe etc.etc".

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Been mostly 360 degrees in a circle since, what, ancient Egypt.

Top of the turn. Yeah, that's kind of open to interpretation. Top of the body? Could mean the top 1/2 or the whole head or just the fleas land strip on the crown. So for the turn let's assume it means the bit from transition heading into the fall line.

As for nothing happens in isolation and exactly where/when does any rotation start/stop... The real question is what's the intent? The slow drills in his Interski workshop seem to show it...

As for nothing happens in isolation.... Absolutely correct. Whole of Sydney is in isolation and there's no skiing to be had. Instead of experimenting with this stuff on snow it's stay at home. Lockdown extended another 4 weeks and unlikely to get any skiing this season. :(

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
So sorry Geepers!

Sponsor

Staff online