• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What should I look for when choosing a ski that's shorter or longer than another one by 7 centimeters?

TS
M

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
I use the same technique on short skis as I use on long skis, shape the ski using forces from me and the snow
and use that shape to get me where I want to go. I may alter the timing of moves to account for things like stiffness, turn radius and shape, i.e. I'll apply pressure to bend the forebody of the ski before I start tipping my antique 208 cm SGs that have a ~70 m sidecut turn radius, but I don't do that on my Fischer SCs that have a 13-m sidecut turn radius. Nor do I do it on pre-shaped (rockered skis). The longer the turn radius and the more camber and the longer the ski the more I do it.

There is no need for a blind test. It's easier to tell the difference between 157 cm and 164 cm by the way the ski skis than by looking at the skis on your feet.

Moving the binding forward and backward on the ski also makes the ski feel different. Moving the bindings forward makes the ski feel almost the same as if it were shorter.

We can never really tell if you're skiing differently knowing you're skiing a shorter or longer ski. That is, if you're skiing with bias.

Only a true double blind test can tell if there's a difference. It's impossible without some form of blurring technology to create a double blind test in testing skis.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We can never really tell if you're skiing differently knowing you're skiing a shorter or longer ski. That is, if you're skiing with bias.

Only a true double blind test can tell if there's a difference. It's impossible without some form of blurring technology to create a double blind test in testing skis.
Sure, but as you note, that's tough if not impossible in skiing. So instead there are just trends and informed opinions. And you can get a sense of t

All that said, people then vary in their opinions and preferences, and there are no objectively "best" or "right" skis. Just skis you like that perform for you. Everyone's opinion is just to help get you in the right zone. But everyone will be different... hell, some people like snow blades. :P

Example, last season I demo'ed Kastle MX84s... in a 184 length. Following the "usual" guidance, I would have picked the 176, but they only had the 184. It was fine and I really liked them. Ideally I'd have compared them to the 176, but I could have been happy on either I'm sure.

Sponsor

Staff online