• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What skis should I buy!?

RobF91

Booting up
Skier
I grew up on skis and snow blades and then transitioned to snowboarding for the 15 years or so

I’d like to get back on skis so I can have the options of both!

30 years old
6’2”
210 lbs

intermediate/advance snowboarder. Typically carve blues and can handle most blacks, although slowly

Most skiing will be done on West trips and occasional some smaller eastern mountains

Looking at the Enforcer 100 or 104 series but curious if more experienced people will think that’s too much ski to “re-learn” on

I have a pair of Head Nexo Lyt 110 boots on the way. Couldn’t find much locally so I’m just planning to try them on and return if they don’t fit

To add: I don’t think I want something that’s super thin under the foot. 90-105 ish sounds ideal to me but maybe 105 is too wide for my situation?

also looking at something mid/high 180s in length

thanks!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll start with the usual ski buying advice, which is to make sure you see a good bootfitter and get properly fitted boots first. Skis matter much, much less. It would even be worth seeing a bootfitter as part of a trip out west if you really can't find a local good fitter. If you do decide to fit yourself, please read a lot about how ski boots should fit - it's much more important and a bit more complicated than snowboard boots.

That said, for skis, I'd recommend something in the 85-90mm range... I think 105 is too wide if you're not spending the majority of your time off-piste and in soft snow... and if you're on blues and some blacks, that won't be the case. You could definitely go a bit narrower than that even.

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree with the narrower ski, maybe down to 78 mm underfoot. They are much easier to get on edge...exactly like getting a narrow snowboard on edge vs. a very wide powder-float board. You'll like the narrow ski in every condition where you don't need float--that includes West trips on the great majority of days when there isn't deep snow.

Look at the Ski Selector. Leave the year and brand blank. Tick Intermediate-Frontside-Men. Waist 78-90. Tick Testers' Choice. Find Ski. Read the reviews, find the ones that seem best to you. Look at a place like Powder7.com for excellent used demo skis at great prices, figuring that you'll upgrade in a year or two to Advanced skis. In any case, skis are about sold out for this season. You will have a much better selection of new skis in the September sales. Bindings are all excellent if one gets suitable bindings. You don't want the lowest nor the highest max settings in any line, not at this point in your ski career.

About length--if you were an advanced skier at 30/6-2/210, I'd suggest the longest ski in a model line which is also the stiffest. You aren't there yet, so look at the next-to-longest, just a bit less stiff. Actual length matters much less than the stiffness.

Boots--if those boots are very close to a very good fit, fine. Expect to pay a good bootfitter while on a ski trip to get them fit to your feet just right. At home, pull the liners. Get in. Slide your toes to the end of the shell. Look for about 5/8" to 3/4" of space between your heel and the back of the boot. A cylinder of that diameter, (Sharpie pen, mini flashlight, etc.) is a good gauge for the size. If bigger or smaller, change the boot shell size. Pull the flaps back and look at the width. If you have 2-3 mm of space on each side of your foot, OK. If not send them back. You need a lower volume, or higher volume shell as the case may be. Or, make an appointment with a good shop for the arrival day of your trip. Let the boot fitter there determine the boot that is best for your feet and fit them to you. Expect a return visit for fitting adjustments. At 6-2 & 210, a 110 flex boot might be soft for you, especially as you improve. Post your trip destination, and someone here will suggest an excellent shop for boots. Mail order boots might cost less, but a bargain that doesn't work for you is no bargain.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
+1 on boots possibly being too soft. A fitter can soften a too-stiff boot but they can't stiffen a too-soft boot. Ski boots are a much bigger pain in the rear to get right, and fit is more important, than snowboard boots. If they aren't right it will slow your learning progress and reduce the fun factor.

Sponsor

Staff online