• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What to do with new skis?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
The Swix edge guide with the stainless steel plate is a nice edge guide. I have couple of them. The one shown is for a 3° side edge angle. Your new ski may or may not come with a 3° side edge angle from the factory. The site does not show another option for that Swix unit.

According to this website Volkl consumer skis are 1 base and 2 side. Thoughts @anders_nor?

1623223439184.png

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
@Rich_Ease_3051, you might want to consider a file guide and a stone. At least a stone. Your new iron will look new longer if you deburr your edges before waxing. Burred edges can scratch the iron.

If it's a new ski, it will scratch the iron?

I'm afraid of effing up a new ski by deburring it just to prevent an iron from getting scratched.

First of all, what it the likelihood of a new ski having burrs? I'm doing a visual and don't see any burrs.

Second question, what are the drawbacks to using an iron with a scratches in the future? From a waxing perspective?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
According to this website Völkl consumer skis are 1 base and 2 side. Thoughts
In North America a lot of eastern skiers go with a 1 base 3 side for more bite on generally firm conditions and sometimes ice. A lot of western skiers, like myself, ski soft snow with 1 degree base, 2 degree side edge bevel.

A lot of manufacturers go with 1/1 from the factory so the customer won't catch an edge unexpectedly (easier to skid a turn) and then blame the ski.

As KingGump has indicated, factory tunes are not necessarily exactly as stated and sometimes they are not stated. So the best strategy when buying new skis is to negotiate an edge sharpening with bevels that you want and a stone grind to ensure that the ski is flat, as part of the purchase.

Edit: might as well negotiate a wax job as well as part of a ski purchase. :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First of all, what it the likelihood of a new ski having burrs?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'm doing a visual and don't see any burrs.

Feel.
You fingers can feel what your eyes can not see.

Second question, what are the drawbacks to using an iron with a scratches in the future? From a waxing perspective?

Most irons have an aluminum base. If you scratch the aluminum base with harder steel edge now. The aluminum base will scratch the much softer ptex base later.
Always check the base of the iron prior to waxing. Just run your hand over the base. Oh yeah, best if the iron is not hot. :ogbiggrin:

If it sounds like I am cynical. That is because I am. I have seen my share of factory tunes. They are all over the place. That includes premium brands like Stockli and Kastle.

Last edited:

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

Feel.

Most irons have an aluminum base. If you scratch the aluminum base with harder steel edge now. The aluminum base will scratch the much softer ptex base later.
Always check the base of the iron prior to waxing. Just run your hand over the base. Oh yeah, best if the iron is not hot. :ogbiggrin:

If it sounds like I am cynical. That is because I am. I have seen my share of factory tunes. They are all over the place. That includes premium brands like Stöckli and Kästle.
This is an invaluable tool when dealing with anything requiring a fine finish.

I ran a thin piece of toilet paper which I peeled off layers to the thinnest single ply and it didn't cut it. I think it has no burrs.

With the finger and eye test, I just saw and felt micro slivers/clumps of wax.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If it's a new ski, it will scratch the iron?

I'm afraid of effing up a new ski by deburring it just to prevent an iron from getting scratched.

First of all, what it the likelihood of a new ski having burrs? I'm doing a visual and don't see any burrs.

No new skis won't have burrs. Or at least they shouldn't. But after you ski them they are quite likely. Sorry I forgot the new part of the topic. But once you get the waxing gear, you'll be waxing them after use and want to inspect for, and remove, any burrs.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I have seen my share of factory tunes. They are all over the place. That includes premium brands like Stöckli and Kästle.

Indeed. Sometimes tuning a new ski for the first time, I find that the factory bevel varies from one ski to another (of a pair) and from one side of the ski to the other.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
According to this website Völkl consumer skis are 1 base and 2 side. Thoughts @anders_nor?

View attachment 135502
In North America a lot of eastern skiers go with a 1 base 3 side for more bite on generally firm conditions and sometimes ice. A lot of western skiers, like myself, ski soft snow with 1 degree base, 2 degree side edge bevel.

A lot of manufacturers go with 1/1 from the factory so the customer won't catch an edge unexpectedly (easier to skid a turn) and then blame the ski.

As KingGump has indicated, factory tunes are not necessarily exactly as stated and sometimes they are not stated. So the best strategy when buying new skis is to negotiate an edge sharpening with bevels that you want and a stone grind to ensure that the ski is flat, as part of the purchase.

Edit: might as well negotiate a wax job as well as part of a ski purchase. :ogbiggrin:

Feel.

If it sounds like I am cynical. That is because I am. I have seen my share of factory tunes. They are all over the place. That includes premium brands like Stöckli and Kästle.
Indeed. Sometimes tuning a new ski for the first time, I find that the factory bevel varies from one ski to another (of a pair) and from one side of the ski to the other.

I wrote Volkl using the customer support link in their website regarding the base and edge angle for Deacon V Werks and and they replied with the following and an attachment:

The Volkl tuning is done at:

Side Edge - 87.6 degree
Base Edge - 1.4 degrees

I have attached our tuning guide to help you getting your skies retuned.
All the machines in the market have different approaches to tuning so this guide will help you with their capabilities.

1623482423681.png

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Interesting. Perhaps a machinist or millwright on SkiTalk can explain the reasoning for producing a ski with an 87.6 degree side edge and 1.4 degree base edge when all the turning machines seem to be unable to be set to those degrees since they can only change by 0.5 degrees and not 0.1 degree.

For this recreational skier, the choice is 87:3 for skis that are primarily for carving arc-2-arc turns, and 88:2 for skis that are primarily for moguls.

A few scratches on your iron will give it a little structure and help it spread the wax.ogwink
20170402_221552.jpg

Your finger should be able to feel a hanging bur, depending on the progression of your undiagnosed diabetic neuropathy; be careful not to cut yourself - brush your fingers across the edge at an angle, not along the edge.

Sponsor