• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What to look for in an air purifier for your home or business

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay, the recommended Medify Air purifiers arrived yesterday.
I have a question about the Ionizer mode.
What is that going to do that the regular mode doesn't do?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you want to be on the "cheap side", a box fan with a AC HVAC filter attached to it.

And also indoor plants.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Used one of these well rated products in lodging rooms all last winter. Works well as advertised.

https:// www dot amazon dot com /LEVOIT-Purifier-Allergies-Core-400S/dp/B08R794ZMX

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay, the recommended Medify Air purifiers arrived yesterday.
I have a question about the Ionizer mode.
What is that going to do that the regular mode doesn't do?
I did some of my own googling to answer my own question.

Feedback after 24 hrs.
I have been dust mopping my wood floors on the main level daily and get a ton of dust and dog hair. After the M40 being on overnight on high, I dust mopped just to see what I collected and there was essentially no dust or dog hair. YES!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Airpurifiers have done good things for my home in the past 1.5 months. What surprises me is how quickly the filter got ugly.
@Ron and others who have this kind of air purifier, How often do you replace your filter (smoke dependent)? How ugly do you let it get before replacing it?
AE64784D-665C-4652-A43F-BD2E36C71CB4.jpeg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Forced air filters come in difference ratings which control the level at which they filter from near HEPA to just barely. The greater the filtering the more restriction and likely the more changes you require.

Consider slightly lower filtering, where the house is comfortable and stand alone filtering in the rooms you spend the most time (bedroom sleeping and maybe family room).

This is what we do. Generally we change or main filters every 3 months.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Forced air filters come in difference ratings which control the level at which they filter from near HEPA to just barely. The greater the filtering the more restriction and likely the more changes you require.

Consider slightly lower filtering, where the house is comfortable and stand alone filtering in the rooms you spend the most time (bedroom sleeping and maybe family room).

This is what we do. Generally we change or main filters every 3 months.
Thanks.
I wonder if the reason this got bad so fast is because of the smoke we were dealing with when I got the filters.
I'm betting that it will taper off now.

As for filtering level, I keep them on low when we're in the room, but turn them on high when we're away.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Airpurifiers have done good things for my home in the past 1.5 months. What surprises me is how quickly the filter got ugly.
@Ron and others who have this kind of air purifier, How often do you replace your filter (smoke dependent)? How ugly do you let it get before replacing it? View attachment 145223
Is there not a light or other indicator that comes on when you need replacement? My Alens have a row of lights showing when replacement is approaching and when it’s reached.

74427D6B-B27A-4B45-B3C2-CB9C156B466A.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would like to add:
When we traveled to Sun Valley last month, I took the smaller unit with me (the MA-25), and felt a noticable difference in air quality in the room.
When we arrived at the apartment, Phil mentioned that it smelled like new paint.
An hour after turning the MA-25 on the room smelled fresh.

Later in the week when we had some other volunteers at the apartment to help put auction items together I told one of the women to go into our room to get some papers I had. She came out and said, "wow that room smells fresh"

This unit is going to go with me everywhere!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is there not a light or other indicator that comes on when you need replacement? My Alens have a row of lights showing when replacement is approaching and when it’s reached.

View attachment 145229
There is a filter indicator on mine which didn't light up yet but I was wiping down the outside of the purifier and noticed that the filter looked yucky so I pulled the panel off and found the filter looking like it does in that picture above.
I can potentially leave the old fitler in until the light comes one but...
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 12.00.28 PM.png

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a filter indicator on mine which didn't light up yet but I was wiping down the outside of the purifier and noticed that the filter looked yucky so I pulled the panel off and found the filter looking like it does in that picture above.
I can potentially leave the old fitler in until the light comes one but...
In addition to the Alens I have a Medify MA-50. Yes I have a quiver. In the case of the Alens the lights change based on actual remaining filtration. However the MA-50 light comes on after 2,500 hours of use regardless of how blocked they’ve become. They estimate 2,500 hours as 3-4 months. Which kind of begs your question if the filter’s been doing heavier than average filtration.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In addition to the Alens I have a Medify MA-50. Yes I have a quiver. In the case of the Alens the lights change based on actual remaining filtration. However the MA-50 light comes on after 2,500 hours of use regardless of how blocked they’ve become. They estimate 2,500 hours as 3-4 months. Which kind of begs your question if the filter’s been doing heavier than average filtration.
Not sure if you went back to read but I have the MA 25 and MA 40.
The 40 has a light that comes on to tell me to change the fitler.
Are you saying that it comes on at a time limit not when it detects the filter needs to be replaced?
Hmmmm

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if you went back to read but I have the MA 25 and MA 40.
The 40 has a light that comes on to tell me to change the fitler.
Are you saying that it comes on at a time limit not when it detects the filter needs to be replaced?
Hmmmm
Yes…according to the manuals they estimate based on hours as opposed to degree of occlusion. Your MA 25, like my MA 50 has an assumed need for replacement at 2,500 hours. Your MA 40’s light comes on after 3,000 hours.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really like the MA 25 for portability. Lives in the bedroom at night, office during the day and travels with us.
The 40 gets a workout in the main living area.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

corsi_instructions_custom-eae07aae5095cc4cb4a66e0abb6c16f9ecd6bbf8-s800-c85.png

"How to buy a portable air cleaner"

^"Look for a unit with a HEPA filter and a clean air delivery rate, or CADR, of 300 cubic feet per minute (not hour) or better — and not much else, Corsi says. "You don't need any other gadgets," he says. In fact, extra bells and whistles can sometimes produce ozone, so it's best to keep it simple. To calculate what size you need for your space, use this tool that Allen helped develop for classrooms — it works equally well for homes, he says. Prices are in the $250 range."

^https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...a-good-idea-to-buy-an-air-cleaner-for-my-home

Sponsor

Staff online