• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What to look for in an air purifier for your home or business

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. I'm in a chat with them now.
Ugh, he's recommending that I get multiple smaller units to have one in every room of the house. That's nuts.

As for the AQI numbers...
I've used Purple Air, NOAA, and Apple Maps. Honestly none of the numbers matter when you look out the window and see this. All you know is, its bad.
View attachment 140610
:(
You are right, sometimes your eyes and nose are the best gauge. That's so awful. We've had several days of excellent AQI and I'm so grateful.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:(
You are right, sometimes your eyes and nose are the best gauge. That's so awful. We've had several days of excellent AQI and I'm so grateful.
We had three really good days last week and happily took advantage of them.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We had three really good days last week and happily took advantage of them.
Too bad you aren't 4 hours closer. When the air is good here, go east. When it's good there, we could go west. :ogbiggrin: Interestingly, the forecast was for crapola air this week but it has stayed literally just NW of us--I can see the smoke line when I'm in Ogden, off in the distance. So, I'm enjoying hero dirt from all the rain last week (my car was covered in what I call "smoke rain". A horrible haze that I've never seen before except during winter.)

I can't stop thinking about the forum members here, some who are dear to us, whose homes are in danger of the Caldor fire. When I saw where that fire was located, I knew it wasn't good. I wish half the rain we got here could have been sent there.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Ugh, he's recommending that I get multiple smaller units to have one in every room of the house. That's nuts.

How many Sq Feet is the living room kitchen area? that would be one unit. Bedroom another unit, the loft is another. You need to consider the height of the ceilings too. you dont want to have to run them on high all the time. Level 2 is probably as loud as most people would want the fans but that's not moving a lot of air. We run our MA112 right next to the main air intake for the Air exchange system, we leave it on Level 3. Ideally, at night when our system goes to a 20 minute intake of outside air per hour and have a few windows open to cool the house down, the unit should be on High. But we have a separate unit in the bedroom even though its open to the main floor below (not truly a loft) that runs on level 2. 24/7.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I wish they'd give cubic feet instead of square feet on the specs. Our living room/dining room is huge square foot wise but it has a 16' ceiling that slopes to normal height at one wall, higher on the others. We have two Winix C545 units that are over-taxed with the volume but they are at least doing something. Between those and a good filter on the return air for the A/C we're staying pretty clean in the house.

try to get people to calculate cubic feet! Medify does use cubic but its much easier for people to calculate length X width. :). they assume avg ceiling heights of 8'. Thats another reason why we sent them our floor plans.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

A possible alternative to multiple units is to run your HVAC's fan continuously to get good air circulation throughout the house, while leaving the single big filter in the main living area.

We used to move ours from living to sleeping area, but I bought another of these this year, because the older, less "smart" version was on sale, and functionally identical to the new genius model (I just like to push buttons):

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
A possible alternative to multiple units it to run your HVAC's fan continuously to get good air circulation throughout the house, while leaving the single big filter in the main living area.

exactly what an air exchange system does but we can control the intake and output. That can overwhelm smaller units quickly as they can't clean the air efficiently.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A possible alternative to multiple units is to run your HVAC's fan continuously to get good air circulation throughout the house
We do ^^^this^^^. We finally installed A/C after 25+ years with a swamp cooler. It worked well except when it was smoky or just a bit humid. With the new A/C came the option to run the fan 24/7 and I am VERY glad we did it. I feel for those in the smoky areas with no way to cool the house without sucking smoke in or just sweltering.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish they'd give cubic feet instead of square feet on the specs. Our living room/dining room is huge square foot wise but it has a 16' ceiling that slopes to normal height at one wall, higher on the others. We have two Winix C545 units that are over-taxed with the volume but they are at least doing something. Between those and a good filter on the return air for the A/C we're staying pretty clean in the house.
Yes! I was just going to say, you need to consider the volume of your house, not the area of the floor space when considering some type of filtration device. I wonder if the specs just consider standard 8-10’ ceilings?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Changed the house filter today. It has been in for 3, maybe 4 weeks. I'll be tracking it now. The fan was probably working harder than necessary!
20210824_162358.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Changed the house filter today. It has been in for 3, maybe 4 weeks. I'll be tracking it now. The fan was probably working harder than necessary!
View attachment 140632

The fan probably was working a bit with that filter, and certainly the flowrate was reduced some amount from when a clean filter is first installed.

Engineering Geek Move: It's not terribly difficult to install a gage that would measure differential pressure across the filter. Drill and tap a small hole on each side of the filter, connect to the gage with tubing, and you're set. You could even just pop in a gage on each side of the filter and do the math. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
thats not going to be large enough. theres a HUGE difference between running the unit on high VS a more reasonable speed of 2-3. on the 112, we run it on 3 almost 24/7. I would email Medify for their expert advice. they know what will work. Ask them about where to place and speed of fans. we run the MA-25 on level 2 24/7. its quieter than a typical fan on 2. I like white-noise so there's always a fan running at night
I placed my order today based on their recommendation.
The concern I have is that I tried to subscribe to the filter replacement subscription but they are out of stock for all replacement filters for the units I bought and removed that from the cart.
Have you had issues getting replacement filters? Is it possible to clean these filters?
Hmmmm, puzzled.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Filters are included in all units so you have 6 months to get replacements. I would email them and explain you were prevented from enrolling in the auto filter program ( If I'm reading your post correctly). The site is lacking a lot of key information about the product. Yes, you can clean them with a soft dry cloth but you still should be replacing them. Medify covers your units under warranty as long as you replace the filters on the scheduled basis.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Filters are included in all units so you have 6 months to get replacements. I would email them and explain you were prevented from enrolling in the auto filter program ( If I'm reading your post correctly). The site is lacking a lot of key information about the product. Yes, you can clean them with a soft dry cloth but you still should be replacing them. Medify covers your units under warranty as long as you replace the filters on the scheduled basis.
After my on line chat with them yesterday I received an email asking me to rate my chat. I explained that the chat feature was delayed and clunky but the information from "Vin" was good, however a better FAQ area would have optimized my time better.
I do realize that the units will come with the initial filters, just thought it was odd that they encourage you to subscribe to filter replacements then won't let you subscribe if they are out of it at the time of purchase. :huh:
Especially since the lifetime warranty is voided if you don't replace as recommended or if you don't use their filters.

I'll reach out to them.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yeah, sounds like a programming issue! When I bought mine, they had a promotion of 50% off first order of filters and 10% thereafter, the discount didnt show up until you entered your CC info, so, yeah, they have issues!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
yeah, sounds like a programming issue! When I bought mine, they had a promotion of 50% off first order of filters and 10% thereafter, the discount didnt show up until you entered your CC info, so, yeah, they have issues!
Same promotion is available to me at time of purchase, but now I've missed out on the promotion because they are out of stock.
I sent them an email asking them about it. I'm fairly confident that they'll do the right thing.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
they have been excellent to deal with and very responsive.
I did get a reply and though I didn't get an answer about the subscription option, I did feel comfortable that their "out of stock" is temporary.
I also got notice that my units will arrive on Tuesday.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink