• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whatcha Doing to the Bike This Year...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Shoot 'em a message, see if they can ship overseas. If not, I will buy it for ya and send it over. No biggie.
Thank you but it looks like some are showing up over here now as well. My issue is that it's been so long I am not certain I remember which lever I have an issue with (left, right, front, rear, euro, USA) & alas the bike is 600 miles & 2 states away. I had the correct one in my cart & on a wishlist but now it has disappeared. I am also without a stable shipping address for awhile. I will figure it out eventually :).

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I finished my bike! 120 link chain arrived and cut 4 links off to get it perfect, saving those links for next time I have to get a chain... At it's core it is a CX bike that I use as a road bike because I like running 32's on the messed up roads where I live. Hate shifting a front derailleur and have run 1x on all my bikes for a couple years now and have very few regrets about it.

20220402_094645.jpg

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I finished my bike! 120 link chain arrived and cut 4 links off to get it perfect, saving those links for next time I have to get a chain... At it's core it is a CX bike that I use as a road bike because I like running 32's on the messed up roads where I live. Hate shifting a front derailleur and have run 1x on all my bikes for a couple years now and have very few regrets about it.
Love fat road tires. Been running Jack Browns from Rivendell for years. Cushy.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The best part now is that manufacturers are making deeper aero wheels with wide rim beds too. These are a set of new Bontrager Aeolus pro 51, they have a 23mm internal width. I can run a wider road tire and still have a good tire profile with the 32s on these wheels.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After this news I might not do much of anything with my bike. Most of our trails around Reno/Tahoe are on USFS land. This is a gut punch.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Not sure where to start, but probably a new bike!
Local overnighter where you bring EVERYTHING. You'll answer 99% of your questions this way.
The next step is to plan a real adventure. Something that really gets you excited. It could be something as simple as a longer overnighter, or 3 day route. I can't emphasize enough that the whole process is so much easier when you are setting out to EXPLORE vs just "sleeping in the dirt" for the sake of sleeping in the dirt. Do something unique!

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
This is where my friend wants to start. I’m just not excited about his choice of camping spots, someplace I’ve ridden past literally thousands of times.
Yeah, I know. It is difficult when you're NOT excited about the non-adventure component. There is so much "stuff" to figure out, however, and the local(boring) overnighter is the perfect shakedown event. ...and never actually boring! The gear-management part of bicycle touring is all about establishing a routine. Any steps that you two can take in establishing this routine will be of value. The rest of it is just the pure freedom of bike rides that don't have to end in a daily loop.
Comradery: You have a friend who wants to do this with you. Don't take this for granted. People tour solo, yes. But bicycle touring can be pure comedy, and you'll appreciate having someone to reflect back on those moments with.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The first of a few new bike bags I mentioned I needed to make was completed over the weekend. Now my wife has somewhere to put her phone and snacks in when riding any of her bikes! Next up I'm going to make a very similar one for myself and then get to work on the half frame bag for my gravel bike. May also experiment with another design for a bar bag that may be easier to sew with the basic machine I have access too.

I used Liteskin LS07 for the exterior, 1.1oz ripstop nylon for the interior lining and grosgrain ribbon as binding on the interior, and finally some 1" webbing for the handle and support straps.

20220424_155631.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking about putting together a bike packing set-up…just a dream fueled by a friend who really wants to do this. Not sure where to start, but probably a new bike!

Just like with RVs, your first overnight is in your back yard. Ride a big loop, the "camp" for the night. Great way to figure out what you do and do not need without any risk.

The first of a few new bike bags I mentioned I needed to make was completed over the weekend. Now my wife has somewhere to put her phone and snacks in when riding any of her bikes! Next up I'm going to make a very similar one for myself and then get to work on the half frame bag for my gravel bike. May also experiment with another design for a bar bag that may be easier to sew with the basic machine I have access too.

I used Liteskin LS07 for the exterior, 1.1oz ripstop nylon for the interior lining and grosgrain ribbon as binding on the interior, and finally some 1" webbing for the handle and support straps.

Beautiful! Looks like you and my wife could talk sewing for hours. I think she has 5 different machines. For bike riding shirts and jackets, I just buy them big and she makes them perfect.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First I'm gonna check to see if my knees will allow me more than a short easy ride. If so, I'll strip it down, powder coat it, replace the fourty year old crank bearings, straighten the forks and put it back together. It's an '83 Cannondale RT500 that looks its age, and it deserves better than that. I've toyed with the thought of getting a modern bike, but it rides well enough that I don't see why I should shell out several K to save five or six pounds.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
First I'm gonna check to see if my knees will allow me more than a short easy ride. If so, I'll strip it down, powder coat it, replace the fourty year old crank bearings, straighten the forks and put it back together. It's an '83 Cannondale RT500 that looks its age, and it deserves better than that. I've toyed with the thought of getting a modern bike, but it rides well enough that I don't see why I should shell out several K to save five or six pounds.
Measure the frame..some of those early Cannondales were more crooked than a dog's hind leg...

Sponsor

Staff online