• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whatcha Doing to the Bike This Year...

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So I've never been a bag guy. But I threw one of these on (shameless plug) and I have to say it's a lot more invisible than I thought it would be. If you need a bit of gear and don't want a huge bag this thing is good.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just like with RVs, your first overnight is in your back yard. Ride a big loop, the "camp" for the night. Great way to figure out what you do and do not need without any risk.
Never had an RV, but I do backpack, so I figure much of that experience will transfer. And much of my backpacking gear should be usable for the ride. What I have no experience with is type of bike, and the best ways to carry gear on a bike.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nah, not to my taste. Gonna keep it black.

Measure the frame..some of those early Cannondales were more crooked than a dog's hind leg...
The forks are bent to the left, but the frame looked straight when I measured it a while back. I should probably measure it again to make sure, thanks for the reminder.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Just completed the transition from tubeless to tubes on my road bike. I scored a good deal on Conti 25 cc 5000 clinchers, needed as the old tubeless reached end of life. While I never had a road flat on the tubeless, I found them flat at start of rides, just a mess to reseat them. Just getting the messy fluid over me when taking them off has me not regretting going back to old technology.
Now, I need to change the old habit of just not riding much, and, that's about all the change I need. Give me the wisdom to differentiate what I need from what I want.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Going AXS/etap - mix of Force & X01 on the gravel bike, running a mullet w/ 650b gravel wheels and 700c roadwheels with fat (32s) gator skinz - it's not 'fast' on the road but comfy.

Also just switched to flats - new Ripmo v2 this year, THAT is taking some getting used to. 25+ years of muscle memory is hard to change.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What am I doing to (one of my) bike this year?

I'm taking my Slash to Moab in two days!!!

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Just completed the transition from tubeless to tubes on my road bike. I scored a good deal on Conti 25 cc 5000 clinchers, needed as the old tubeless reached end of life. While I never had a road flat on the tubeless, I found them flat at start of rides, just a mess to reseat them. Just getting the messy fluid over me when taking them off has me not regretting going back to old technology.
Now, I need to change the old habit of just not riding much, and, that's about all the change I need. Give me the wisdom to differentiate what I need from what I want.
I ain't changing my road bike to tubeless..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a set of the Park pliers that I used and abused for 20+ years working in shops. Handled 700x18’s back in 1994 and 2.5 tubeless in todays world.

PTS-1. I've seen and used them ages ago in my LBS. These days I get tires off with this:

And on with my hands or Park's plastic levers or this in rare instances:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
PTS-1. I've seen and used them ages ago in my LBS. These days I get tires off with this:
Pliers arent for removing just for wrestling a stubborn tyre to seat properly. For tire levers the basic parks live in my saddle bag but in the shop my fav is the crank bros speed lever. Protects your knuckles.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
LBPIA...
IMG_20220515_133555023.jpg
IMG_20220515_133255783_HDR.jpg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
An unexpected upgrade to my commuter/gravelified cross bike happened earlier this week. I had the leftover GRX 810 shifters and flatmount brake calipers from swapping to etap axs on my other bike. I was originally going to sell them off but started to wonder if it was possible to install a flat mount caliper on a post mount frame. Turns out that that sort of adapter is not a common thing at all and I only found one small company in Canada making adapters. (A.S.solutions if you are looking for them) 80$ and three ish weeks later I had a set of 140pm to 160fm adapters in my grubby hands. Fitment and install went perfectly and took it into to my LBS to have the brake hose cut and bled. Previously I was running a set of 105 shifters and mechanical disc brakes. Such a huge upgrade to the GRX hydros. Feels absolutely wonderful to have good brakes on my weekday commuter bike.
20220520_181248.jpg

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
In an attempt to make a poor man's gravel bike, i massaged my XC bike to see how it would work. In the end, not bad. I have a -17d stem on order to drop the riding position a bit more. But even as is, I'm pretty happy. 700x35 Conti speed King CX tires.
IMG_20220604_110009476.jpg

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In an attempt to make a poor man's gravel bike, i massaged my XC bike to see how it would work. In the end, not bad. I have a -17d stem on order to drop the riding position a bit more. But even as is, I'm pretty happy. 700x35 Conti speed King CX tires.
View attachment 170628
I really miss the Continental Cyclocross speeds. Might have to try these.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I really miss the Continental Cyclocross speeds. Might have to try these.
Not bad. Fairly cheap ($37 cdn), folding bead. Pretty compliant casing. Has some centre tread but fairly tiny. Side knobs are pretty flat but there. This is basically my up north bike where roads quickly change from paved to dirt and back fairly often depending where you're going. I was spinning out my 25c road bike on some of the steep rock outcrop dirt sections. The bar inners work well actually. Almost same position as road bike brake hoods. The bars are high still and hoping the stem will drop them and make it a bit more aggressive. It's a 25lbs MTB so actually decent on road.

Sponsor

Staff online