• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's an east coast Master's SG course look like?

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
As I rekindle my racing passion (9 races last year; 1st legit race season since collegiate) I have a full docket on the calendar including 2 SG events, one includes a day of SG training. What's a Masters SG like? Given the age ranges I assume a fairly docile set, like a fast and loose GS?

I only have 188/30m skis. Those that have done east coast SGs (Stratton and West Mtn), are these going to give me issues?

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
West Mt has a Super-g? Huh.
That's the rumor...the winning time last year for the event was 1:10:xx. That is all I know about the hill.

James

Out There
Instructor
That's the rumor...the winning time last year for the event was 1:10:xx. That is all I know about the hill.
They have a good trail for gs, with the Animal on top. Maybe it’s that one backed way up. Haven’t been there in nearly 20 yrs. Lock your skis, though I doubt sg are desireable.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They have a good trail for gs, with the Animal on top. Maybe it’s that one backed way up. Haven’t been there in nearly 20 yrs. Lock your skis, though I doubt sg are desireable.

Yeah, it'll be a turn-laden SG at West Mountain. 30m SG skis may be fine, tho a 30m GS ski may work better in a longer length.

If only the SG were at Gore, as Echo is a great SG trail.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, it'll be a turn-laden SG at West Mountain. 30m SG skis may be fine, tho a 30m GS ski may work better in a longer length.

If only the SG were at Gore, as Echo is a great SG trail.
I don't have 30m SG skis, only the 188/30m GS skis. :(

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have 30m SG skis, only the 188/30m GS skis. :(

The 188cm/30m may be OK depending on the course set. It won't be quite as rock solid stable at truly high speeds but it shouldn't be too much of a hindrance, other than its shorter length. But most masters SGs aren't set anywhere close to the FIS standard, so...

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question partially answered today, we had a training session on the race hill from the proposed start and going ~95% of the way to the finish. At least at Stratton, It's a big fast GS, with some rolling terrain that doesn't get you off the snow unless you're not ready for it. My watch said I hit just north of 50mph during the training while in full jacket/pants, it was -18* at lift opening so for me shedding outer layers for the training wasn't high on my list.

The 188/30 did OK. perhaps a little more ski underfoot would have been nice, but the limited number of SGs I do each year means I will make the skis I have work. I have modest goals for the 2 SG races tomorrow, but the training day was fun to let the skis run.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The 188cm/30m may be OK depending on the course set. It won't be quite as rock solid stable at truly high speeds but it shouldn't be too much of a hindrance, other than its shorter length. But most masters SGs aren't set anywhere close to the FIS standard, so...
You would be surprised Rudi. USSA Masters SG spec is 30-50m. I normally set 40+

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Question partially answered today, we had a training session on the race hill from the proposed start and going ~95% of the way to the finish. At least at Stratton, It's a big fast GS, with some rolling terrain that doesn't get you off the snow unless you're not ready for it. My watch said I hit just north of 50mph during the training while in full jacket/pants, it was -18* at lift opening so for me shedding outer layers for the training wasn't high on my list.

The 188/30 did OK. perhaps a little more ski underfoot would have been nice, but the limited number of SGs I do each year means I will make the skis I have work. I have modest goals for the 2 SG races tomorrow, but the training day was fun to let the skis run.
Bill, there is also another cheap option. Look for one of the previous Mens GS in 195/35. You can hardly give them away!. Makes a decent budget option for Masters SG, I have a few athletes on that.

Oh, and I know it is cold BUT always try to train speed in your suit, otherwise you can get a shock when you push out of the gate in the race at how much more speed you are carrying. When it is that cold use a couple of extra layers under your suit if you can. I feel your pain though, at our speed weekend at mammoth there was 20 degrees of windchill on top of the low temps for the DHs

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
20220127_125338.jpg

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
20220128_093310.jpg

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You would be surprised Rudi. USSA Masters SG spec is 30-50m. I normally set 40+

I get that, but you're also setting in the west where there's ample real estate to spread out. In the east we often need to be at the lower end of gate spacing because of simple terrain limitations.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting…. Looks like Stratton SG is on North American and more of a v loose GS ( guess that’s also why jst single “B” netting is adequate) . At times some years ago that I raced, it was held on the wide run that the Gondola runs over( can’t recall the name) and though not v steep was a top to bottom real SG set.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Then all of the mountain west should schedule speed events RIGHT NOW!
Back some years ago I recall running two Far West Masters SG at Squaw… ran from top Red Dog ( start was laterally adjacent to old RD lift between it and Oly Lady) down to bottom. Steep, fast, long, and for me at least; pretty scary! But the sky was blue without that VT gloom.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting…. Looks like Stratton SG is on North American and more of a v loose GS ( guess that’s also why jst single “B” netting is adequate) . At times some years ago that I raced, it was held on the wide run that the Gondola runs over( can’t recall the name) and though not v steep was a top to bottom real SG set.

So many mountains in the east decided to let their SG and DH homologations lapse over the past 15 years, Stratton's Upper/Lower Standard North American included. Increased safety protocols have made a lot of traditional speed venues impractical to maintain, especially those needing copious amounts of A-netting (the permanently-moored stuff) to prevent impact with trees, lift towers, and other immobile obstacles.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online