• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's an east coast Master's SG course look like?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Back some years ago I recall running two Far West Masters SG at Squaw… ran from top Red Dog ( start was laterally adjacent to old RD lift between it and Oly Lady) down to bottom. Steep, fast, long, and for me at least; pretty scary! But the sky was blue without that VT gloom.

Yes, that was 2011. The really tough bit was getting down KT to the start with an extra pair of skis!

So many mountains in the east decided to let their SG and DH homologations lapse over the past 15 years, Stratton's Upper/Lower Standard North American included. Increased safety protocols have made a lot of traditional speed venues impractical to maintain, especially those needing copious amounts of A-netting (the permanently-moored stuff) to prevent impact with trees, lift towers, and other immobile obstacles.

Yes, happening in the Far West as well. About the only places we have run Masters SG in recent years are Northstar and mammoth. With new standards it is getting harder to homologate. We looked at the old women's DH track at Heavenly a few years back to see if we could use it for a FIS Masters SG but there were parts where it is just too narrow now.

We did have a successful Masters speed series at mammoth last weekend, 2 DH and 4 SG from World Cup down Fascination. Excellent job by Chip White and his crew to get it set up, netted and run successfully :thumb:

Last edited:

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, that was 2011. The really tough bit was getting down KT to the start with an extra pair of skis!

Yes, happening in the west as well. About the only places we have run Masters SG in recent years are Northstar and mammoth. With new standards it is getting harder to homologate. We looked at the old women's DH track at Heavenly a few years back to see if we could use it for a FIS Masters SG but there were parts where it is just too narrow now.

We did have a successful Masters speed series at mammoth last weekend, 2 DH and 4 SG from World Cup down Fascination. Excellent job by Chip White and his crew to get it set up, netted and run successfully :thumb:
In the late 80s i ran in a masters DH at Heavenly… have no memory for which trails but do remember coming out of start then a couple of gates later a big left footer onto a road that had a left turn and dumped into another wide trail with a pretty steep pitch and rollers where speed ramped up to the finish.
Was pretty fun, non life threatening, and the start even had a real , if temporary, start haus / tent. Made us WC wannabes feel all chuffed up.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier

Yes, happening in the west as well. About the only places we have run Masters SG in recent years are Northstar and mammoth. With new standards it is getting harder to homologate. We looked at the old women's DH track at Heavenly a few years back to see if we could use it for a FIS Masters SG but there were parts where it is just too narrow now.

Kind of ironic/ oxymoronic: SG at Northstar…aka “ Flatstar”. On other hand: Mammoth… i can only imagine

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
never fails, just organize a speed event and the weather rolls in!
Yep, at the only Masters Nationals I attended at Okemo a few years ago, race was cancelled after trying and failing to clear the fresh stuff off the line. I'm sure I would have been WAY back in the pack, but was looking forward to doing it.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
2 day recap - ton of fun and the skis performed well enough on this day/course.

The clear and cold weather for the training session was replaced with 40* warmer air and the top of course being in the cloud deck, then snow began falling part way through the 1st race. Perfect setup. :) Despite me being in the suit vs big jacket and pants, my watch showed essentially the same top speed for both days, just north of 50. The fresh snow seemed to offset any speed gains?

I did ~ 7 training runs (5 on the shorter course, then 2 on the full length course) then I ended up top 10 overall for both races, and TBH, coming into the event my goals were 1) clean finishes and 2) top half of the field, so I am happy with the results. I skied a very conservative line, which might have been the right line as when my time flashed at the bottom I thought it was wrong given my SG experience, or lack thereof. One of the M1 racers I skied with a bunch this year is generally a few seconds clear of me on a shorter SL or GS course, I was under 1 second off him on the 2nd race. I might toy with this uber-conservative line on my next GS races this coming week, perhaps my crappy line (too aggressive for the 30m skis) is causing me more issues than old age and lack of talent.

They didn't reset for the 2nd race, the field was consistently ~2 seconds slower from the course being chopped up. Oddly, it was predictably beat up; the right footer turns the course had holes right at the gate and in the line from the snow breaking through right at the gate (not the most fun thing to see at ~50mph) while the left footer turns had solid cat-track pattern ice that was not going to break through until May. The training course the day before had the same issue, and given they requested no grooming, it wasn't a big surprise. I somewhat just charged right through the holes and hoped for the best, the skis got thrown around a bit, this is where a longer ski might have helped.

The course started on a decent pitch, a few big turns, then the key section of the course for me was a 3 turn section with a delay in the middle right before the flatter, rolling section. I focused on skiing the pitch smart and building speed for the bottom section. It seemed to work, as I know I made some mistakes on the bottom but felt like I was carrying good speed. Getting a little low, but tried to claw back to the right line in small increments and maintain pace.

I was a little nervous coming into the event not having any clue what to expect, then being one of the few on skis under 200cm didn't instill confidence.

Bring on the West Mountain SG in a month or so! Alas, now I have an expectation. :D

Side note...the 1st two skiers down one DQ'ed, (though I think he protested and won because i see no DQs on the LiveTiming results?) and the 2nd guy was clearly confused for the final gate and just wiggled the right way (or couldn't get where he wanted to get in time). The gate was offset to the right half of the finish line, but there was a random same color gate on the left side, by the timing light, such that looking at the course, there were 3 gates, and it was not clear (no dye) which was the proper path. I don't understand why they had the gate there as it seemed to do nothing but confuse, eventually it was removed, but not immediately after the 1st two skiers. The last gate of any race course shouldn't be a tester...IMO. :) USSS officials are free to correct me. Crude, approximate, and not to scale drawing below.

1643467815029.png

Sponsor

Staff online