• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's changing in the 2023 version of the QST92?

slpgh

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Has anyone had a chance to try out the upcoming version of the 92 or knows what is actually changing?
Various "previews" mention changes, but then shift to reviewing the wider versions.
Is this going to be a major upgrade like the 2019 version had been, or just minor tweaks?

I own the current version and love it, but I'm wondering if it'll be worth upgrading to the next one and trying to plan ahead.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Saw that the 23 QST 92 were getting similar changes to the updated wider QST models got this year-more tail rocker, more taper, lower turn radius and lighter weight. Should be “more accessible” but may or may not be an upgrade for some people over the current version.
Heavier or harder charging skiers may like it less and gravitate towards the Stance line even more now.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably should demo the new version. The changes to others of the QST line made them much more soft snow oriented. Not sure the others are more accessible however. Guess it depends what that means. They generally made the qst skis stiffer underfoot, but with more rocker and taper in the recent changes to 99/98 and 106.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
“More accessible” meaning easier for less advanced skiers to skid and pivot turns at lower speeds. Much less effective edge than before, so edge grip and carving performance decrease on the new models along with lower stability at higher speeds with the shorter turning radius.
The new QST 98 is actually softer flexing than the old QST 99 throughout but it’s close when it comes to torsional stiffness underfoot.

If you liked the old ones, I’d be stocking up or demoing other options when the time comes as there will be lots of other great ones out there you might like even more!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I disagree with the choice of words, accessible.

Its clear salomon is strengthening a strength in the qst line making them more freeride, soft snow focused. Its a line that will excell in the chute, more than on the apron. Built for the trees not the run out. If you want to call that making trees and chutes more accessible, ok.... But its not how I would describe the changes.

They are also making the skis more twintip and freestyle oriented.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
We are agreeing on what the new ski does better. It makes it easier to ski at lower speeds off piste in softer snow but it will sacrifice that ease with less stability on run outs.
Like any ski type, there are lots of very demanding free ride skis built for high speeds chargers and then more forgiving ones built for those going a more moderate speeds. The new QST line moves more towards the later.

The Stance line would be the more appropriate line for those who ski a bit more aggressively and more often on piste. The lines are now more further separated than before. Up to the skier if that’s good for them or not.

Sponsor