• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's everyone packing for lunch?

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just ordered my little friend here:
EE04C18C-10C5-4999-9372-26C73564FF8B.jpeg

the plan is to bring up stuff like burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, or a pot of chili and grill some cornbread each day. Maybe a bbq pizza or two. Add a few camping chairs, a camping table, blankets, and hot drinks and that should do the trick for the season. Thank goodness for the minivan and all of our camping supplies.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Just ordered my little friend here:
View attachment 117262
the plan is to bring up stuff like burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, or a pot of chili and grill some cornbread each day. Maybe a bbq pizza or two. Add a few camping chairs, a camping table, blankets, and hot drinks and that should do the trick for the season. Thank goodness for the minivan and all of our camping supplies.
You just need a sign, "Hot dogs $4, Hamburgers $8..." :roflmao:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
In the Green Mountain State we are allowed to grow, have and share but not sell. We our take the non smokable trimmings called shake and mix in them in with the tea. Hot water releases all the plant goodness into the water. Tiny dab of butter helps improve the transfer process. Gives a most pleasant relaxing whole whole body feeling. Foresee in the not to distance future were this beverage will be available in every base lodge in Vermont.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
In a world without COVID-19, I would eat in mountain huts and restaurants in Italy and Austria. Good quality food and not very expensive. In Switzerland and France, however, I avoid mountain huts and restaurants. Crazy expensive, especially if you're the only guy in the world who actually doesn't like French cuisine (or Swiss - I don't tolerate cheese).
So in France, Switzerland or if I'm skiing in the backcountry, I just pack a baguette with ham, or salami, or peanut butter, or something like that. And I always have some Nakd bars on me.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
When skiing JH and Whitefish last winter I hit up several Walgreens and Dollar stores and bought all of their single $1 packs of Lemon Tuna and Sweet Chili Tuna (complete with tiny folding plastic spoon). The idea was to go into the lodge before the lunch rush, buy a coffee and eat a tuna pack.

With Covid, I am not going into lodges and mostly utilizing the fridge, stove and porta-potti in my truck camper. The tuna packs will keep until next season.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
When skiing JH and Whitefish last winter I hit up several Walgreens and Dollar stores and bought all of their single $1 packs of Lemon Tuna and Sweet Chili Tuna (complete with tiny folding plastic spoon). The idea was to go into the lodge before the lunch rush, buy a coffee and eat a tuna pack.

With Covid, I am not going into lodges and mostly utilizing the fridge, stove and porta-potti in my truck camper. The tuna packs will keep until next season.
I've done those a lot too and keep q couple in my duff when I travel just in case. I find them at Save-A-Lot.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm going to do what I've been doing for the last 5 years. Tiny tupperware full of cashews and an Atkins chocolate coconut bar. Strictly for if I'm so hungry I can't think. Otherwise, wait until I get home. I never stop for lunch anymore. I make sure to have breakfast. Even when I used to stop for lunch, it wasn't much different, I carried cheese and nuts and a tea bag with collapsible cup.. After the 1st 5 years here I decided that I could easily cover the price of the season pass by not buying lunch. It's one thing if you're on vacation and lunch is part of the experience, but if you're skiing 50 to 80 days a season (or more for some here), it's just a huge expense after a while. As soon as they wanted more than $2 for a slice of pizza, they lost my business. If I get hungry now I have a few nuts at the top of the chair lift and chew as I ski. Then when I get home, I'll have a snack.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been purchasing nice breads and making cheese and roast beef and salami sandwiches, taking a couple of protein nut bars and a little chocolate, but I'm on holidays right now. Rest of the time I eat Keto so after this week it will be like when I'm teaching. I bring a plastic container with some pickles, cut veggies, salad dressing, beef sticks, low carb protein nut bar and some berries. I do that all winter when I'm teaching skiing though so it will be the same accept I can't go inside to eat so it will be eating on the lifts or if parking is close enough it was nice to go to the truck and warm up.

J_P

Booting up
Skier
this will be my first time ever carrying my own food. have a new pack and am planning to have water bladder, beer, PBJ, pretzels, probably some trail mix. loading kids up the same (less the beer). every trip i've said i was going to do it and always wound up dropping north of $50 for a beer, a power bar and food for the kids, but the last trip to mammoth before thanksgiving the lodge set up was just unpleasant. no fault of the resort, just not cool enough to be paying resort prices. now that it's all closed down, the decision's been made for me.

do you guys put your beers in any sort of protective case? was thinking of putting two on top of each other in a neoprene sleeve that my wife has for wine bottles.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
this will be my first time ever carrying my own food. have a new pack and am planning to have water bladder, beer, PBJ, pretzels, probably some trail mix. loading kids up the same (less the beer). every trip i've said i was going to do it and always wound up dropping north of $50 for a beer, a power bar and food for the kids, but the last trip to mammoth before thanksgiving the lodge set up was just unpleasant. no fault of the resort, just not cool enough to be paying resort prices. now that it's all closed down, the decision's been made for me.

do you guys put your beers in any sort of protective case? was thinking of putting two on top of each other in a neoprene sleeve that my wife has for wine bottles.
I wouldn't carry glass bottles in pack and cans should be fine as long as nothing punctures them. Maybe get a couple of Pugski Coozies for extra padding:
https://store.pugski.com/product/pugski-com-koozie-with-opener

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier

Around here we take way too many lifts to make a backpack a good idea. I leave the beer in the car and carry a nice thin flask.

J_P

Booting up
Skier
@Ogg- no way i'd carry glass. just thinking of cans and i'm insane, so i thought immediately of protecting them from a puncture and a hell of a mess. @David- I will be riding chairs as well, so I'm very curious to see how annoying a pack is. I see many leaving them on and hope to be able to do the same. Have the pata 20L and the mystery ranch 16L d route on order for testing.

snow on the way for mammoth and i'll be doing a 2-3 week trip from socal up to spend a week in big sky with skiing both ways, so i guess we'll have plenty of time to figure it all out in the coming month or so.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Bojangles chicken tenders with the original Bo sauce, put them in a ziplock bag and eat at your leisure. Cold chicken is mmm mmm good.

Sponsor