• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's in your pack?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
None of you mention carrying verts, which i think are essential if you're climbing a couloir, either in powder or spring snow, where you're sinking in over a foot.

I think that is because this thread is about general ski touring. As you mentioned, climbing snow shoes are a very route- and condition-specific tool. Their use also means you are in high risk/consequence avalanche terrain (steep, soft snow, narrow).

So far, the replies have been about things that (almost) everyone takes with them (almost) every time. The sort of ‘basic backpack contents’, that you can add to as the situation dictates. Climbing snowshoes are not part of that for anyone I would think.

There are many other items that MIGHT be needed too. Ski crampons would be the first thing to come to mind.

PS, I love your pics/reports of all the gorgeous couloirs you ski!

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've watched numerous videos and read articles on what should be in your pack for backcountry touring. I have compiled the following list from those sources. What I'm wondering is what's really required for day touring out-of-bounds; the "must have's" vs. the "nice to have's"?
  • Beacon/Shovel/Probe (obviously the beacon is on you, not in the pack)
  • First-aid Kit (including ibuprofen)
  • Rescue blanket
  • Emergency whistle
  • Water bottle - 1-2 liters (more for a full day)
  • Food/snacks
  • Puffy jacket
  • Balaclava
  • Ski helmet (for the down)
  • Ski hat (for the up)
  • Skiing gloves (for the down)
  • Touring gloves (for the up)
  • Goggles (for the down) - goggle sock for lens protection
  • Sunglasses (for the up)
  • Sunscreen stick
  • Hand warmer packs
  • Carabiners (to increase stowing option)
  • Ski Multi-tool
  • Microfiber cloth
  • Flashlight
  • Lighter (or cigar torch)
  • Small roll of duct tape
  • Skin wax
  • Skin scraper
  • Skin glob stopper

Also, my pack does not have any dedicated way to carry a helmet. When your pack doesn't have a helmet pocket to stow it away ( and I cannot fit it inside the pack), what's the best way to secure it to your pack in a manner that won't have it getting filled with snow?
Curious as to the size of your pack to carry the list (good list btw). I keep trying to figure out the right size which is compounded by the space taken up by the battery to power the avvy bag. Mine is a 30L and its still tight.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Curious as to the size of your pack to carry the list (good list btw). I keep trying to figure out the right size which is compounded by the space taken up by the battery to power the avvy bag. Mine is a 30L and its still tight.

I'm not sure what will hold "the list" comfortably, but I will be pulling the trigger on a 32L Osprey Soelden. I will make it work... :)

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I pack super light. Over the years, dropping pretty much everything that I don't expect to use that day. I've been using an 18L Ortovox bag with spine protection lately. Wasn't really keen on it at first, but have grown to really like the bag.

The one and only thing I don't skimp on is quality fire starter. Even with good conditions, it's not easy to build a good fire. It's heat that will keep you alive in a survival situation. Those hand warmers won't cut it. I'll be building a raging fire if i'm spending an unplanned night in the woods.

headlamp, space blankets, lighters, knife, some tape/straps,wire. skin wax, chapstick. that's about it.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Basically all what's on your list @Noodler except for:

Emergency whistle - my ABS backpack has it on chest strap, so no need for extra
Sunglasses (for the up) - most of time I don't bother
Sunscreen stick - never really needed that, except for once it would be cool to have it. But in general I'm out enough to have such tan, that most of people don't have it in middle of summer, so no need for sunscreen :)
Hand warmer packs - never. Don't really feel that cold that thick skiing gloves wouldn't be enough.
Carabiners - no need for that. If it doesn't fit in backpack, it doesn't go with me :)
Ski Multi-tool - not really, but I have torx T20 with me in case I would need to tighten something on binding (never needed until now)
Microfiber cloth - no need for that. googles bag is good enough if needed to wipe googles
Flashlight - only on early morning or late afternoon tours
Lighter - nope, I don't smoke :D and up in mountains when you are above forest level and have only snow around, it wouldn't help much either
Small roll of duct tape - wrapped on my pole. It does come handy here and there
Skin scraper - there's something you carry with you anyway, and does job good enough.... ski :)
Skin glob stopper - small piece of Swix CH8 is always in backpack, but I prefer to take care of my skins at home already. I guess that's same as Skin wax or?

Next to that, ski crampons, unless there's really only powder and I know for sure, there was no wind anywhere, two ski straps, if I move skis to backpack, and there's also crampons and ice axe or two, if tour requires climbing some steep faces. For food, I almost never use anything but home made powerbars. Sandwiches are not too tasty when cold, neither is chocolate, and with 3 or 4 home made powerbars, I'm good for 10h tour. Water is more of an issue for me then food.
Oh and I forgot... plastic strip and bag for skins. All my Pomoca skins have such glue, that you sprain your shoulder dragging them apart if you put glue to glue. Which on the end is not so bad thing, as even for sixth transition at -20c, glue still works :D So no matter what, I prefer to stick that plastic sheet between skins when putting them to backpack.

Would you mind providing more detail on how you're packing your Pomoca skins with the plastic strips/sheets? Are you using the plastic strips that they ship with for storage or something else.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Noodler I would say it's Pomoca protective sheet (https://www.pomoca.com/accessories/protective-sheet). It came together with skins, and it's sort of plastic sheet. My Pomoca Free 2.0 skins have such glue that it's really annoying to get skins apart when folding them glue to glue (Climb 2.0 that I have for my narrow skis are better), so I always put this plastic sheet on. To save weight (just joking, as this plastic weight something like 5 grams :D ) I always take just one. So I take skin half way down, put plastic on, remove rest of ski, and unfold plastic over it. Then put second side to other skin, and repeat procedure. Works fine also in strong wind.
Most of people I know put glue to glue, but for me it's just annoying when taking skins apart for new ascend, so this plastic works fine for me. Not to mention, I have feeling glue works better for 4th or 5th switch when it's -15c. Not sure if it's true or just my (wrong) impression.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So the 15L Chuter pack worked great for inbounds touring (no shovel or probe packed), however I forgot one critical item on my packing list... tissues! I really needed some tissues with the 12* F start for the uphill and with all the huffing and puffing, my nose just started running. I think I'll be putting a travel pack in my jacket pocket for the next outing.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So the 15L Chuter pack worked great for inbounds touring (no shovel or probe packed), however I forgot one critical item on my packing list... tissues! I really needed some tissues with the 12* F start for the uphill and with all the huffing and puffing, my nose just started running. I think I'll be putting a travel pack in my jacket pocket for the next outing.

James

Out There
Instructor
When are people carrying diagonal vs A frame/vertical?

Anyone try the Mystery Ranch Saddle Peak pack? Seems a tad small at 25l, but who knows how these things are measured.

This new system by Gregory is interesting if you’re doing frequent short boot packs, though if it’s steep I doubt it.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@James ,

25l is an ok size for a ski pack. My daughter has a Millet pack that’s 25l and can fit as much in there as she would want to carry. (3850g, not counting the pack, shovel and probe and ski crampons).

Of course this depends on how big you are, what gear you need to bring, and how ultra-light your gear is.
For me personally, ~35l would be a great size.

There is such a difference in effective pack volumes. It’s just like ski boot flex. All it really tells you is a rough idea, and that packs relative size compared to others in the same line up.

That Gregory pack seems really well thought out.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I pack super light. Over the years, dropping pretty much everything that I don't expect to use that day. I've been using an 18L Ortovox bag lately

headlamps, space blankets, lighters, knife, some tape/straps,wire. skin wax, chapstick. that's about it.

@surfacehoar :
Do you not carry a jacket for the descent/breaks? Or warmer gloves for that?
No water or food?
No first aid?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When I show that page, it has a suggestion for a simpler and cheaper one that looks like a better version of what you might jury-rig yourself:
https://skimo.co/mammut-helmet-holder
helmet-holder.jpg
I have this one:

DA154046-6E01-4C57-8DEB-B7911FC3AA43.jpeg

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
@surfacehoar :
Do you not carry a jacket for the descent/breaks? Or warmer gloves for that?
No water or food?
No first aid?

It really all depends on the objective of the day.

I generally use an Arcteryx softshell and just wear it on the up and down. I use a hardshell as well as a down jacket if it's really cold. Gloves stay on to start the day, once warmed up I take them off and stash them in a cargo pocket on my pants. Only need one pair. Since I don't carry much else, I have plenty of room to store whatever jacket I've chosen for the day if necessary.

Goggles take up a lot of space to pack and it's just one more thing to manage during transition. I wear vintage Oakley eyeshades, from the 80's. up and down. Helmet attaches to the exterior of the pack.

I make sure I eat a big meal prior and drink plenty of fluids in the morning. I carry a 710mL gatorade squeeze top in my cargo pocket along with a bag of Sour Cherry Blaster candies. Snacking as desired. That's a bit more than 200g of carbs, so fuel for about 4-5 hours. If i'm out longer, I'll bring a couple cliff bars or gels.

I don't carry a "first-aid kit" but have one in the car, along with some extra snacks and water. Burns, blisters, cuts, headaches. I'll just call it a day if I need to.

Sponsor

Staff online