• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the best lodge food at a good price?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These quotes were taken from the Sitting it out thread.

I haven't partaken of of a $17.50 bowl of chili in years!
But it's delicious and the best part is after 3 spoonfuls it's all gone and you can get back on the slopes!

That's pretty much it. :roflmao:

When we skied all three times this year we took our lunches with us and took a break in the parking lot to eat, which worked well now because its sunny with cool fall temps. I'm not sure about winter blizzard times.
One of the things we discussed is how much healthier we'll be. Talking lean turkey sandwiches and veggies instead of going inside only to be tempted by the brisket sandwich with carmelized onions and fries. Which, BTW are delicious at Mammoth, as is the prime rib lunch special at Mt Rose.

B4B6D3D6-D3F1-4B05-BA1B-8A4442EFD3F6.JPG

And while the Prime Rib is good, they often have these incredible cheese steak sandwiches the next day if they have left overs.
3554A811-0BE8-475F-BC62-7857CBCBB4FE.JPG

And then there's the Powder Keg at Powder Mountain.
I can't remember what it cost, but I remember thinking it was really reasonable and extremely good.
LOL @Philpug and @AmyPJ
7795B4D9-61A0-4219-ACE4-92E43D5478AC.JPG
What's the best lodge food you've experienced?
What's the most affordable but really good lodge food you've experienced?

*Didn't we have a thread about catching people with their mouth full somewhere?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This make me long for the early days at Snowbasin with their prime rib sandwhich that was priced well below market value.

Speaking of Prime Rib...Okemo used to have a good one at the mid mountain lodge.

I was planning on Rack of Lamb for T-giving, now I am thinking Prime Rib....no staying with my first thought Rack of Lamb.

IIRC, the breakfasts at Mad River Glen were really good....either really good or I was really hung over, it is all a blur. I remember they had a hot sauce there that was amazing. 'Eat it if you can". They discontinued it and I never found it again even under a different label.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm generally a PB&J and PBR guy and brown bag my own lunch, but in 2016 I was at Deer Valley and couldn't resist springing for a jumbo all-beef hot dog one day at the Empire Canyon Grill. I ordered “everything on it” and for under $10 that included two pieces of bacon, a ladle full of chili, kraut, cheddar cheese, sauteed mushrooms and onions, spicy mango relish, and various other condiments. I also split an order of $5 fries with my son and ended up with a huge plate of tasty food in a magnificent ski lodge at a spectacular mid-mountain setting for about the price of a burger and fries at your local Five Guys.

The same day my buddy @The Colonel one-upped me by dining on their Tenderloin Sandwich

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of DV, the Beef Bourguignon is to die for. We go every year for the Freestyle World Cup and they serve it for us in the media room. Oh Em Effin Gee good.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For snowbasin when I eat lodge food I think the earls lodge pizza is a good buy and tasty. Also their salads have a good track record with me. Probably will just eat at the car this season.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Again, speaking of Deer Valley, the last time I was there I was quite surprised at the lunches we had at the Silver Lake cafeteria. Good food and cheap (relatively, considering it was Deer Valley)

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Wolf Creek's upper lodge has excellent food at reasonable prices. Especially the Sante Fe-style green chili and the homemade blueberry pie. A long-time cashier at Wolf Creek told me that one of the secrets to the great pie is a little bit of bourbon in the filling. When at Wolf Creek, I sometimes have a slice of pie with lunch and then another blueberry and a coffee at the end of the day!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The ketchup soup with the free crackers, and pepper to taste, used to be very affordable; even at places like Round House at Sun Valley. How times have changed.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Keystone used to have this awesome loaded baked potato for cheap way back when. The perfect lunch for a hard ski day.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Best food I ever had at ski area was at LeMassif in Quebec. I had a cafeteria lunch there of lamb and mashed potatoes that would have pleased me if it were served in fine restaurant. It must be a French thing.

dm

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had some very good on-mountain food at several places. The best I can say about price is that some of it was not-too-badly-overpriced.

Unfortunately there have also been some horrible meals that were absurdly expensive. Burgers at Snowbird mid-gad.

Let's see -- Tacos and burritos at Taos are good, not too expensive. Green chili stew also good. BBQ at A-Basin black mountain lodge is good and semi-reasonable. Chili is my go-to standard at most mountains. Usually pretty good and only somehat excessively expensive.

Places that are expensive but the food is very good: top of Tram at Snowbird, top of gondola at Jackson Hole, restaurant at the top of Ajax at Aspen, lodge at base of Snowbasin (heard rumors it has gone downhill since), the BBQ place upper mountain on Snowmass. Everything on Spruce side at Stowe is pretty good.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jackson Hole Rendezvous Lodge top of Bridger Gondola has pretty good food. Stowe's upper mountain lodge also. Killington's peak lodge too.

Best was Chamonix. Can't remember all the mid-mountain lodges there by name, but they take their lunches seriously.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Chili cheese fries FTW... How many WW points is that by the way?

Sponsor

Staff online