• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the best lodge food at a good price?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I seem to recall the poutine at Merlin's at the Blackcomb base at WB was good and fairly priced (and started my love of poutine)... but I just tried to look up the menu and found one that seems to indicate that it's $15.50 CAD ... not terrible with the exchange rate we had at the time, but not cheap.

I thought maybe I had a picture, but all I seem to have are tables full of beer and Moscow Mules :P:beercheer: ... Like this:

20170310_153456 ACR Conv.jpg

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Roast Turkey w/ gravy and dressing @ Snowbaisn
Brats w/ kraut out of the window @ GMD @ Alta - the breakfast there is a great deal too.
Slice of pizza and a Radler from the pizza place above Mudroom @ JHMR

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Best (bar food) for price I’ve had was the Trap at Grand Targhee....beers tasted the best too when u experience snow like that....

Best food as a family we have had on mountain was at Deer Valley......but the price for 4 wasn’t a good time.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IIRC, the breakfasts at Mad River Glen were really good....either really good or I was really hung over,
Yes good breakfast at MRG. Their Raspberry bars are killer.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen Highlands has a small mid-mountain lodge with good food as I recall.

Steamboat- take the gondi up at night to a snow cat to one of the on mountain lodges for dinner was pretty good.

Solitude Mt. U.T. use to have a yurt that you had to XC ski to at night and they served a gourmet dinner, that was good too.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Phlox hut at Timberline Lodge (used to be the Boy Scout overnight hut) has Tacos that are wonderful. Put some "Wally's Hot Sauce" on them.

Wally Inouye (former skateboarding star) is head of food prep at Timberline Lodge.

Unfortunately, to wash it down with a "Mogul Masher" drink, you have to go into the Wy' East lodge, as they don't serve cocktail drinks in the Phlox hut.

hot sauce.jpg mogul-masher.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Breakfast burrito at Mt. Rose. For about $10 you get a BIG burrito with chorizo, spuds, etc. that is plenty big to feed two people to over-full and three people to full. The prices on all Mt. Rose food is reasonable to begin with; with a season pass you get 25% off. I said I'd never eat in a lodge but it's worth it at Mt. Rose.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wintergreen, VA - Delicious $5 Pulled Pork BBQ sandwiches at the tiny Checkerberry Cabin hut, although I’m sure if they still have them now, they’re much more expensive.

Alta, UT - Alf’s at the bottom of Supreme & Sugarloaf chairs has $3 (I think) hot chocolate w/ whipped cream, of course. Best part, If you keep the receipt you can show it to them & get a free refill anytime the same day.

Whistler, B.C. - By far the best on-mountain food I’ve every had. The stuff they made at their mid-mountain restaurants would be at home in high quality restaurants in just about any town. I don’t remember the prices exactly, but do remember thinking it was pretty similar to most mtn food cost, but WAY better. So the value proposition was a win.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Waffles at Corbett's were pretty good..

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My go-to lunch in chili so I've had lots of variations and the best by far was the one with green chile at the base cafeteria in Taos. Affordable too; I think I had it at 4 out of 5 lunches there in February. Second best is at Alta's Collins Grill.

Most satisfying ski lunch ever was a croque-monsieur made with local reblochon cheese at a tiny mid-mountain spot in Avoriaz, France. I'm still not sure how I managed to get back on my skis after that but it was glorious.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The soup at Tremblant Nord with the discount and exchange was good.

Chili at Ragged.

Free full + breakfast at Cannon just because it was -20 on a slow weekday.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Best food I ever had at ski area was at LeMassif in Quebec. I had a cafeteria lunch there of lamb and mashed potatoes that would have pleased me if it were served in fine restaurant. It must be a French thing.

dm
I ate at the cafeteria at Le Massif in March 2008. The servings there, such as baked fish in crème sauce, fresh pastas and regional desserts like the sugar tart with a hint of maple flavor, were far above the average ski lodge fare.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The carver station at Summit Restaurant, top of the Snowbird tram is my hands down favorite food in 30+ years of skiing. It might be Prime Rib, or brisket, or pork loin, or ham. Always with two excellent sides and a shade under $20. Wherever I am on the mountain, I will always find a way to eat lunch up there. Even if it takes dropping into Mineral Basin, taking a ride up, and hiking the rest of the way up to the restaurant. Not always top of mind with the group I'm out with, but I usually don't have to twist arms too severely.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Aspen Highlands has a small mid-mountain lodge with good food as I recall.

Steamboat- take the gondi up at night to a snow cat to one of the on mountain lodges for dinner was pretty good.

Solitude Mt. U.T. use to have a yurt that you had to XC ski to at night and they served a gourmet dinner, that was good too.
The yurt is still at Solitude. DV has the the most consistently good on mountain food I've had and it's cheaper than PCMR.

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm generally a PB&J and PBR guy and brown bag my own lunch, but in 2016 I was at Deer Valley and couldn't resist springing for a jumbo all-beef hot dog one day at the Empire Canyon Grill. I ordered “everything on it” and for under $10 that included two pieces of bacon, a ladle full of chili, kraut, cheddar cheese, sauteed mushrooms and onions, spicy mango relish, and various other condiments. I also split an order of $5 fries with my son and ended up with a huge plate of tasty food in a magnificent ski lodge at a spectacular mid-mountain setting for about the price of a burger and fries at your local Five Guys.

The same day my buddy @The Colonel one-upped me by dining on their Tenderloin Sandwich

Yes Jim, ‘twas great!..especially the company.

Last edited:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most satisfying ski lunch ever was a croque-monsieur made with local reblochon cheese at a tiny mid-mountain spot in Avoriaz, France. I'm still not sure how I managed to get back on my skis after that but it was glorious.
You mean baloney and cheese, right?

Sponsor

Staff online