• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the best lodge food at a good price?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Copper has a shrimp green curry that is relatively cheap and delicious.
There was a time when the Day Lodge cafeteria and the on mountain restaurant were all Arby's. They owned Copper at that time or their parent company; but it was very weird to buy beer at an Arby's. The food tasted like Arby's by the way.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I seem to recall the poutine at Merlin's at the Blackcomb base at WB was good and fairly priced (and started my love of poutine)... but I just tried to look up the menu and found one that seems to indicate that it's $15.50 CAD ... not terrible with the exchange rate we had at the time, but not cheap.

I thought maybe I had a picture, but all I seem to have are tables full of beer and Moscow Mules :P:beercheer: ... Like this:

View attachment 115660
I don't recall the price of the Poutine, but I do recall wanting to stuff my face in the bowl to lick up the gravy!

Best (bar food) for price I’ve had was the Trap at Grand Targhee....beers tasted the best too when u experience snow like that....

Best food as a family we have had on mountain was at Deer Valley......but the price for 4 wasn’t a good time.
I think the Trap was where we at at the gathering last February which is where @Stephen had the Whydao Nachos
E8F9CCA0-7204-4C3C-9CFD-F37336746B98.JPG

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used to have the free saltines with (free) honey packets for a lunch at Steamboat's Rendevous lodge. When my g/f is buying, we share one of their baked potatoes with chili, bacon bits, cheese, salsa, sour cream and jalapenos - big enough for two, and not too expensive.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blue Mountain in PA had pierogies fried in butter with onions.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Blue Mountain in PA had pierogies fried in butter with onions.
There was a Pierogi shack at Big Sky that served them every day until they were gone. Opened for buisness at lunch and closed the window when the last pierogi went out.

I started making pierogi at home but had to stop because Phil and I were starting to look like pierogi.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There used to be a guy in Taos, in a little hut, making crepes. They were really good. Is he still there?

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I have had some decent pub grub upstairs in the lodge at Wachusett. Nice place to thaw out in non-covid times.

Of course, the famous "Strawberry" waffles at Snowbasin are also memorable but not as memorable as the real thing on the Strawberry bowl.

Attachments

• IMG_20181210_121251.jpg
    IMG_20181210_121251.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200207_095935.jpg
    IMG_20200207_095935.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 6
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Best (relatively) priced on-mountain food in Summit County CO is at the Black Mountain Lodge at A Basin.
Its not uncommon for Phil and I to share a meal at Black Mountain Lodge and still go away stuffed.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember those, they were made fresh...weekly.
:geek: yeah... Blue Mountain goes on my “opposite list.” Worst food I’ve ever had at a mtn or really anywhere & I’m the kinda person who’ll eat just about anything.

I got a roast beef sandwich, it was horribly soggy & deathly salty. Then they brought me some mac & cheese (w/o me asking) and it was soggy & tasted really weird. Finally, I got a burger, & at least they can’t screw up a burger! Here’s to hoping they’ve improved since then. ogsmile

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
:geek: yeah... Blue Mountain goes on my “opposite list.” Worst food I’ve ever had at a mtn or really anywhere & I’m the kinda person who’ll eat just about anything.

I got a roast beef sandwich, it was horribly soggy & deathly salty. Then they brought me some mac & cheese (w/o me asking) and it was soggy & tasted really weird. Finally, I got a burger, & at least they can’t screw up a burger! Here’s to hoping they’ve improved since then. ogsmile

I guess you haven't been there in a few seasons. They opened a new restaurant that actually has good food. Haven't tried the cafeteria since.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The lower lodge at Snowking (Jackson Wyoming's other resort) used to serve up good Korean food at great prices, I think it was called Kim's Cafe or something like that. What they called Kim Pop (different than typical, bigger and hardier) and fried noodles were legit. Unfortunately, last year they sold out and it is typical low-end ski lodge cuisine.

I think they moved to a more traditional space in town and changed the name to Bapp.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
The stuffed baked potato at Hunter was a great deal at $6. Last time I was there was after Vail bought them so it was $9 with 50% less chili.

Before Vail: chili.jpeg

After Vail: chil2.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A paradoxical upside to expensive cafeterias is that it has made the nearby restaurants seem cheaper by comparison. One crowded day at Spruce at Stowe we decided to eat in the bar at one of the fancy hotels instead. Good food, much less crowded, similarly priced, and only slightly slower. If you are getting something made to order after a line at the cafeteria, the times might even be the same.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've always thought the food at Snowbasin was a good quality, huge portions, and a relatively decent price plus the view at the John Paul lodge is tough to beat.

Sponsor

Staff online